Eversource Energy Senior Supervisor, Field Engineering in Yarmouth, Massachusetts
Check out this video and find out why our team loves to work here! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHmr45H8xZE)Supervising Engineer, Electrical Operations, Field Engineering
The title Supervising Engineer designates employees whose responsibilities and duties require professional knowledge and aptitude for creative thinking in some specific field of engineering, such as electrical or electronic and whose activities are in connection with engineering, construction, operation or maintenance assignments, or other technical work of the Company.
Supervising Engineers must effectively coordinate their work activities with others such as: supervisors, managers, and engineers or others working on the same projects; personnel of other departments; representatives of consulting engineering firms, municipalities, other utilities, manufacturers, customers, contractors; contractors’ employees engaged in related activities.
It will be essential for Supervising Engineers engaged in certain activities involving other departments to acquire familiarity with any applicable rules and procedures established by those departments such as “Permit” procedure, “Red Tagging” procedures, Safety Rules and procedures, System Operating Department routines, etc.
Supervising Engineers are responsible for the safe, efficient, and productive performance of the work.
Supervising Engineers must ensure that all the proper tools, equipment, and material are available for job assignments and that said equipment and materials are utilized properly, including material returns to inventory.
This position is responsible for the proper, safe, and efficient completion of engineering assignments and the supervision of engineers and technicians engaged in large engineering projects or small projects with complex features. Provides leadership for all field aspects of construction and maintenance relay testing and protection & control scheme testing on T&D substation equipment. Actively promotes and enforces a safety-first work environment and positive safety culture. Engages and motivates employees to deliver the best possible customer experience.
At the Senior Supervisor level, in addition to the duties listed above, responsibilities include:
- Serving as the local technical lead or coach for other supervisors
- Developing and coaching other supervisors in various aspects of their role (i.e. – managing crew performance, daily job briefings and work site visits, safety, O&M/Capital accounting, etc.)
- Authorizing re-allocation of resources in situations where conflicting priorities exist (i.e. – greater than expected field employee absence, therefore, crew re-configurement required)
- Driving innovation and change in business processes
- Leading area work center activities during manager absence
- Representing their manager at department, customer, and community meetings
- Develops and evaluates plans and criteria for a variety of project and activities and assesses the feasibility and soundness of proposed engineering evaluation tests, products, and equipment.
- Plans and directs tests associated with the Eversource Preventative Maintenance Program.
- Analyzes and interprets electric test results on equipment, protection devices and control systems, etc.; recommends the course of corrective action to be taken.
- Provides technical expertise to projects groups for outage coordination and resource management and to Engineering regarding work sequencing and technical design & implementation.
- Ensures compliance with regulatory and company policies and procedures.
- Ensures adherence to safe practices by performing field safety audits, conducting department safety meetings, carrying out incident analyses and generating incident reports.
- Interfaces with external contractors, suppliers, other utilities and the ISO
- Sets clear expectations and provides ongoing feedback to employees regarding their performance. Effectively addresses performance issues. Conducts comprehensive performance reviews (per applicable bargaining unit contract).
- Responsible for the proper application of local union contracts and agreements. Works with managers and employees to resolve grievances and concerns in a timely and complete manner.
- Directs safety awareness and compliance initiatives within the group, and monitors safety performance. Champions efforts to achieve world-class excellence regarding safe work practices and procedures, and safety performance.
- Demonstrates and is role model for a customer-first attitude. Seeks to quickly resolve customer issues by collaborating with employees and other departments.
- Participates in on-call rotation as required.
- Eversource operating procedures; switching & tagging
- Reading/interpreting schematic diagrams, blue prints and vendor instruction manuals
- Electrical utility maintenance, construction and testing
- Electric utility equipment including transformers, HV and MV circuit breakers, protective relays & devices, reclosers, switchgear, regulators, fuses, disconnects, arresters, and station batteries
- Electric utility protection and control functions
- Electric utility testing equipment and software
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering or electrical technology or equivalent discipline is required
- Ten (10) years of related experience is required
- Experience in transmission, distribution and power systems engineering experience is preferred
- Previous supervisory experience is preferred
Licenses & Certifications:
- Must hold a valid motor vehicle drivers’ license.
- Must be available to work emergency restoration assignment as required.
- Must be available to travel between MA/CT/NH as necessary.
Set and Communicate Direction and Priorities
- Communicate priorities and goals (company, department, team)
- Show how employee’s work fits in
- Provide business updates, news
- Communicate, communicate, communicate
Build Trusting Relationships
- Role model honesty/integrity in communication and action
- Balance “getting results” with concern for individual needs
- Have honest dialogue with employees; get to know them
Manage and Develop People
- Set realistic performance objectives and expectations
- Give ongoing, honest feedback; coach for success
- Recognize good performance
- Visit crews in the field
- Remove obstacles to day-to-day performance
- Provide tools, information, training
Foster Teamwork and Cross-functional Collaboration
- Encourage cooperation/remove obstacles between work groups/departments
- Encourage collaboration/peers helping peers
Create a Diverse, Inclusive Workforce
- Ask for employee input on work process/practice improvements and before implementing change that will affect them
- Encourage ideas
- Deliver effective, positive communications about change to your team
- Exhibit a “can-do” attitude to successfully implement changes in priorities and work processes
- Respond positively to new demands or circumstances
Focus on the Customer
- Ensure that everyone on the team understands our customer promise and provides superior customer service
- Be a role model for the team on delivering superior customer service
Number of Openings:
Eversource Energy is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, disability status, or protected veteran status.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor
- Eversource Energy Jobs