National Grid Sr Lab Technician in Worcester, Massachusetts
National Grid is hiring a Senior Technician for our Engineering Laboratory in Worcester, MA.
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
Primarily responsible for inspecting substations, distribution lines, and other National Grid assets with an Infrared Camera. Inspection data is analyzed, and reports are issued to the specific department.
• Conduct in-field infrared inspections on energized equipment.
• Obtain proficient use of Laboratory and corporate software systems.
• Maintain a solid focus on inside and outside customers’ expected results.
• Sustain Infrared Thermographer Certification.
• Develop and maintain skills to support individual or multiple services provided by the Laboratory. Those services include: infrared inspections, Woodson inspections, EMF and RFI investigations, audible noise surveys, power quality and stray voltage investigations, tensile and torsion testing, dielectric testing and special studies.
• Required to be in the field approximately 50% of the time, covering all National Grid’s New England service territory.
Supervisory/Interpersonal- Experience Required
- Demonstrate and maintain excellent oral and written communication skills plus organizational and analytical abilities.
• Associates Degree in electrical or electronic engineering from an accredited college with a minimum of three years technical experience.
• Ability to use complex test equipment in a safe and skillful manner.
• Ability to read and understand electrical one-line drawings.
• Basic understanding of Electrical Transmission, Distribution, and Substation Systems.
• Demonstrate and maintain excellent oral and written communication skills plus organizational and analytical abilities.
• Computer skills should include use of spreadsheets, word processing, and corporate software.
• Possess and retain a valid motor vehicle operator’s license.
• Valid driver’s license required.
• Minimum Level 1 Thermographer Certificate preferred.
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.