National Grid Senior Supervisor-Material Management and Hoisting & Rigging in Whitinsville, Massachusetts
National Grid is hiring a Senior Supervisor- Material Management and Hoisting & Rigging for our Electric Substation department in Whitinsville, MA.
Every day we deliver safe and secure to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry. To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
The Material Management and Hoisting & Rigging Supervisor will provide services to capital projects and gas & electric operations. Your role is to provide leadership and technical direction to the assigned union employees in the Construction Depot under the Internal Substation Construction Department in the execution of all rigging, crane and lift operations as well as coordinating the logistics or flow of material for all Capital Electric Construction Projects and Field Accounting activities. You will ensure appropriate staff safety, levels, training, and qualifications for rigging and lift operations and material management. This position supports the planning and execution of rigging and lifting tasks to ensure work is performed safely and efficiently. This position routinely interacts with operational managers, customers, other supervisors, planners, and schedulers to coordinate work activities and meet the organizational goals.
Supervise and coordinate activities of assigned department personnel engaged in erecting and operating machines to hoist material and equipment with expert knowledge of crane operations, load charts, critical lifts, and crane limitations. Specify locations for movement and erection of hoists, cranes, and forklifts using knowledge of various methods of sliding, lifting, and rigging equipment.
Coordinate the logistics or flow of material for all Capital Electric Construction projects directly to the various job sites. Be the liaison between the different engineering groups, the distribution centers, the vendors, and In-house Construction’s Transmission Line and Substation Construction’s crews for the delivery and receipt of all needed project materials.
Oversee Field Accounting activities such as employee time entry, equipment rental and timely processing and payment of invoices.
Assure that assigned personnel are productively assigned to the highest priority work, trained and evaluated within National Grid guidelines and procedures and state and federal requirements. Conduct worker performance appraisals and provide developmental plans.
Remain current with latest lifting technology systems and training.
Supervisory/Interpersonal- Experience Required
- Excellent teamwork and communication skills.
· 5 -10 years’ related work experience leading teams within a collective bargaining environment hoisting & rigging operations and material management.
· Knowledge of Federal, State, OSHA, NEC, local, safety and environmental rules and regulations.
· Must understand electrical construction principles, equipment, work methods and the hazards associated with this work and can mitigate those hazards.
· Ability to develop a working knowledge of National Grid’s maintenance practices, safe work practices, tagging rules and labor contracts.
· Ability to work as a team and independently.
· Must be self-motivated and have strong time management and record keeping skills.
· Ability to develop, administer and enforce a strong safety culture.
· Maintain a non-restricted driver’s license.
· Able to travel throughout the service territory and willing to work extended hours when job required and for system emergencies.
· Demonstrated rigging and setting of high-value equipment and critical lifts.
· Demonstrated ability and knowledge to develop critical lifting plans compliant with federal, state, and local requirements.
· Requires knowledge and functional responsibility for proper operations of forklifts and mobile cranes.
· Requires knowledge of telehandler operations.
· Experience in the coordination of construction and maintenance rigging projects.
· Broad knowledge of relevant codes and safety regulations pertaining to rigging and crane operation.
· Experience with lift planning, calculations and software, and DOT oversize permits & escort requirements.
· Highly skilled communicator both verbally and in writing. Ability to employ computer applications such as Google, MS Office, and Rigging / Lifting software.
· Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact effectively with a diverse team.
Valid Driver's License Required.
Job Dimensions- Budget/Direct Reports
- Direct Reports: Up to 15
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.