New York Power Authority Project Manager - Sustainability in White Plains, New York
The Sustainability department is responsible for developing the sustainability strategy and plans for NYPA and the Canal Corp., managing performance and preparing annual reports. The Sustainability program aligns with and supports the strategic vision and New York State’s ambitious climate and energy goals. The Sustainability Project Manager is responsible for supporting NYPA’s strategic initiatives and managing climate and energy-related programs. Responsibilities may include: creating a comprehensive greenhouse gas inventory and analyzing opportunities to reduce NYPA and Canals carbon footprint across the value chain; managing climate adaptation and resilience assessments and working with teams to implement strategies across the organization; and managing building and vehicle fleet efficiency and electrification projects, including identifying opportunities to demonstrate advanced technology solutions.
The Sustainability Project Manager is expected to serve as a strategic sustainability advisor to business units and departments across the organization on climate and energy programs, providing guidance and analytical support in defining goals, targets and metrics, identifying strategies, developing projects, and measuring and reporting progress. Responsibilities vary by project and may include research, preparation of reports and presentations, and development of training resources.
The Sustainability Project Manager is expected to be well-organized, exhibit a keen attention to detail, and display a strong interest in finding ways drive strategic Sustainability goals and to optimize data gathering and reporting processes where needed.
Manage projects across business units and departments: define project scope, strategize and prioritize project resources; develop detailed work plans, and lead project teams involving multiple stakeholders.
Support stakeholders in planning and project development, including identification and assessment of goals, targets, and strategies.
Monitor progress to make sure milestones are being met across the various projects.
Perform special/advanced analyses as directed.
Develop tools and resources for data and performance management.
Research and analyze industry data to support the development of strategies, policies, and projects.
Participate in internal and external working groups and committees and represent the Sustainability group on working groups and committees as needed.
Coordinate inter-departmental initiatives and overseeing and/or supporting the work of project teams.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Exceptional analytical and quantitative skills, including proficiency in statistical and cost/benefit analysis.
• Ability to establish strategic benchmarks, develop past and future performance trends, and make recommendations regarding targets and KPIs.
• Excellent organizational and project management skills; ability to handle significant workload with multiple projects, timelines, and due dates.
• Knowledge of formal project management practices, such as Project Management Institute (PMI) preferred.
• Self-motivated with demonstrated ability to work independently, prioritize among competing needs and proactively address issues.
• Resourceful with demonstrated ability to manage complex problems and recommend solutions.
• Demonstrated ability to work in teams and provide guidance and feedback to others.
• Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills; ability to summarize complicated matters for a variety of audiences.
• Advanced knowledge of energy, climate, and sustainability (environmental, social, governance and economic) issues.
• Advanced knowledge of corporate sustainability and sustainable operations.
Education, Experience and Certifications
Bachelor’s Degree in sustainability, engineering, environmental science, economics, or related field.
Graduate degree in sustainability or related field preferred.
Minimum 4 years of experience in data analytics or project management.
Minimum 2 years of direct experience in corporate sustainability and sustainable operations.
Energy/utility industry experience preferred.
Proficiency in Excel
- Approximately 25% travel primarily within New York State.
The New York Power Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer