Eversource Energy Principal Engineer in Westwood, Massachusetts
Check out this video and find out why our team loves to work here! Performs a Protection & Control Engineering Department leadership role. Recognized as having technical expertise in electrical engineering design, construction standards, code requirements, electric operating procedures and regulatory compliance. Develops strategic plans for major engineering problems and opportunities and has responsibility for interpreting, organizing, executing and coordinating assignments. Develops long range system plans and recommends specific projects for implementation. Develops and updates construction material and tool and equipment standards and operating procedures. Directs and prepares documents/testimony and written responses for local, state and federal regulatory requirements. May, as assigned, serve as team or project leader for unique / special engineering assignments related to the Eversource Electric system.
- Serve as technical specialist to P&C Engineering. Recognized as the technical expert both internally and externally
- Solves complex technical problems requiring recognized expertise; e.g. System Coordination studies, Post Event Analysis, etc.
- Integrates cross functional groups or teams to initiate and implement projects
- Directs as team or project leaders the more sensitive, highly complex engineering projects, multi-discipline in nature
- Works with senior management on sensitive, confidential projects
- Formulates Eversource technical positions and recommends company policies and standards on various issues within expertise
- Presents, directs and / or prepares corporate testimony and written responses for regulatory compliance local, state or federal.
- Serves on various Eversource internal committees and task forces to provide information and recommendations to Eversource senior management
- Provides both technical guidance and training for less experienced personnel
- Represents Eversource on various industry and professional society committees and working groups.
- Prepares for senior Eversource leadership such written material as letters and reports on various technical aspects
- Acts on behalf of Lead Engineer in their absence as assigned
- Will have storm restoration and emergency assignments
- Demonstrated through sufficient experience very high standards of professional and technical competence, and to have a complete and thorough knowledge of technical skills including system-wide application of his/her discipline.
- Initiative and aggressiveness to search out problem areas, creativity to devise technically sound solutions and confidence to make technical decisions in solving complex problems based largely on own effort with little or no supervision.
- Possess highly developed communications skills, i.e., ability to write clearly and concisely, make presentations before senior management, ability to discuss ideas and be persuasive, and be able to work effectively with all levels within Eversource, governmental agencies and other outside organizations.
- Thorough knowledge of federal, state and local regulatory criteria, industry codes, and standards applicable to the specific area of expertise.
- Thorough knowledge of accounting and engineering economics applicable to the specific area of the position.
- Ability to provide work direction for others, assume authority and be assertive.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and interpret information in order to propose decisions with respect to the specific area of the position in solving highly complex problems.
- Ability to grasp concepts, analyze technical information, determine facts and make well thought out recommendations/decisions.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or Electrical & Computer Engineering
- Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering preferred
- Ten years in related experience in, design, construction and operations
- Registered Professional Engineer required
- Must be available to work emergency restoration assignment as required.
- Must be available to travel between MA/CT/NH as necessary.
Set and Communicate Direction and Priorities
- Communicate priorities and goals (company, department, team)
- Show how employee’s work fits in
- Provide business updates, news
- Communicate, communicate, communicate
Build Trusting Relationships
- Role model honesty/integrity in communication and action
- Balance “getting results” with concern for individual needs
- Have honest dialogue with employees; get to know them
Manage and Develop People
- Set realistic performance objectives and expectations
- Give ongoing, honest feedback; coach for success
- Recognize good performance
- Visit crews in the field
- Remove obstacles to day-to-day performance
- Provide tools, information, training
Foster Teamwork and Cross-functional Collaboration
- Encourage cooperation/remove obstacles between work groups/departments
- Encourage collaboration/peers helping peers
Create a Diverse, Inclusive Workforce
- Ask for employee input on work process/practice improvements and before implementing change that will affect them
- Encourage ideas
- Deliver effective, positive communications about change to your team
- Exhibit a “can-do” attitude to successfully implement changes in priorities and work processes
- Respond positively to new demands or circumstances
Focus on the Customer
- Ensure that everyone on the team understands our customer promise and provides superior customer service
- Be a role model for the team on delivering superior customer service
Number of Openings:
Eversource Energy is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, disability status, or protected veteran status.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor
- Eversource Energy Jobs