Eversource Energy Lead Engineer, Grid Modernization in Westwood, Massachusetts
Check out this video and find out why our team loves to work here!
Role and Scope of Position: Lead Engineer, Grid Modernization is responsible for overseeing execution of the Company’s GIS consolidation plans as a technical subject matter expert. Individual will lead multi-disciplinary teams responsible for all phases of implementation including technology review and selection; This individual will work closely with the project manager in defining project budget, scope and timeline; support internal and external reporting and tracking; and stakeholder engagement. Individual will also support efforts to research and develop plans for additional modernization opportunities including investigation and assessment of new tools and technologies relevant to the modernization of the electric distribution system and engagement with external counterparts, vendors, and other stakeholders to ensure the Company is leveraging and contributing to industry best practices.
- Lead multi-disciplinary teams across three states from distribution engineering, GIS Engineering system planning, substation engineering, standards, system operations, field operations, IT, and other groups to ensure effective and efficient implementation of grid modernization programs.
- Serve as a subject matter expert for Geographic Information System Consolidation project
- Participate as subject matter expert for electric distribution system modeling associated with other Grid Modernization projects such as Synergi Electric and Distribution Management System implementation.
- Coordinate review and assessment of technology options related to grid modernization, including working with internal teams to execute competitive procurement processes.
- Oversee development of GIS Consolidation project approval documentation with need statement, scope, description of technical solution, alternatives considered, risks and mitigations, budget and timeline.
- Ensure rigorous project management is exercised in implementation of all grid modernization projects, including identification and correction of any risks to schedule or budget.
- Manage all internal and external tracking and reporting requirements associated with grid modernization programs, including reporting of metrics related to the achievement of project benefits.
- Ensure the Company’s grid modernization strategic priorities are responsive to industry developments and continue to maximize value over time, capturing new opportunities as they emerge.
- Investigate new technologies and tools in the industry and assess the relevance of and benefit to the Company’s grid modernization efforts.
- Communicate the Company’s grid modernization initiatives externally as appropriate and participate in industry forums to support the Company’s position regarding best practices in grid modernization.
Technical Knowledge/Skill: Thorough understanding of geographic information systems (GIS) and their data structure, attribution and maintenance methodologies deployed at electric utilities; knowledge of electrical engineering concepts such as distribution system modeling, power flow calculations, stability voltage regulation, power factor, losses etc.; strong analytical skills including experience using qualitative tools in strategic development; demonstrated business development aptitude with strong presentation skills; strong leadership skills to penetrate and work effectively throughout the organization; demonstrated competency and proficiency in oral and written communications. Ideal candidate is customer driven; displays initiative as a change agent with a can-do attitude; accepts responsibility and holds others accountable; participates in and facilitates team effectiveness; assumes the role of team leader; and makes sound decisions to support strategic objectives.
Education: Requires a Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering or Bachelor’s degree in Engineering Technology (MS in Engineering or MBA preferred)
Experience : Minimum of eight (8) years in the technical, operational, or engineering aspects of the electrical utility industry. Supervisory experience preferred.
Licenses & Certifications: None.
Problem Solving & Complexity: Demonstrated ability to solve complex problems and remain self-directed is required. Work includes technical writing, editing, planning, evaluating, interpreting, organizing, consulting, analyzing, documenting, specifying, coordinating, implementing and presenting. This role works in an environment that often requires the performance of multiple simultaneous activities, where deadlines need to be met and work is performed under pressure while involving significant business commitments and results.
Physical Aspects: Daily use of a computer and other office type equipment.
- Must be available to work emergency restoration assignment as required.
- Must be available to travel between MA/CT/NH as necessary.
Set and Communicate Direction and Priorities
- Communicate priorities and goals (company, department, team)
- Show how employee’s work fits in
- Provide business updates, news
- Communicate, communicate, communicate
Build Trusting Relationships
- Role model honesty/integrity in communication and action
- Balance “getting results” with concern for individual needs
- Have honest dialogue with employees; get to know them
Manage and Develop People
- Set realistic performance objectives and expectations
- Give ongoing, honest feedback; coach for success
- Recognize good performance
- Remove obstacles to day-to-day performance
- Provide tools, information, training
Foster Teamwork and Cross-functional Collaboration
- Encourage cooperation/remove obstacles between work groups/departments
- Encourage collaboration/peers helping peers
Create a Diverse, Inclusive Workforce
- Ask for employee input on work process/practice improvements and before implementing change that will affect them
- Encourage ideas
- Deliver effective, positive communications about change to your team
- Exhibit a “can-do” attitude to successfully implement changes in priorities and work processes
- Respond positively to new demands or circumstances
Focus on the Customer
- Ensure that everyone on the team understands our customer promise and provides superior customer service
- Be a role model for the team on delivering superior customer service
Number of Openings:
Eversource Energy is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, disability status, or protected veteran status.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor
- Eversource Energy Jobs