Tri-State Generation and Transmission Association, Inc. Strategic Advisor I (IRC26212) in Westminster, Colorado
The Strategic Advisor position resides in the Legal department at Tri-State. The position is responsible for assisting and executing company outreach activities and providing administrative support to the Senior Strategic Advisor. Work closely with other Tri-State departments to assist with the implementation of public outreach plans to educate key audiences and build support for Tri-State's position on priority legal and regulatory issues. Responsible for assisting in developing various analyses and well-supported recommendations that will enable critical decision-making and planning by senior leadership team.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform administrative duties including, but not limited to, creating and editing documents in draft and final form; copying and distributing documents; composing correspondence for managers as assigned; and scheduling, coordinating arrangements, and assembling appropriate information for meetings.
- Support and promote consistency of messaging across the organization, including assisting with the development and updating of outreach and communications tools including, but not limited to presentations and issue briefs.
- Under the direction of the Senior Strategic Advisor and working in cooperation with other departments, coordinate outreach activities designed to build support and encourage advocacy for Tri-State's position on priority issues among internal and external audiences.
- Assist Senior Strategic Advisor with the development of strategies and plans in response to legislative and regulatory activity at the federal and state levels, including public relations and related communications activities.
- Assist Senior Strategic Advisor in the research and development of situation and stakeholder analysis for legal and regulatory activities. Assist in the development and implementation of plans to support legal and regulatory strategies, including, message development, collateral material development, outreach efforts and third-party advocacy.
- Assist in development of plans to build support among external audiences in support of permitting and construction of projects and assessing issues and challenges associated with continued operation of existing resources.
- Assist with identifying, research and analyzing current and emerging policy issues that could significantly impact Tri-State's operations as needed.
- Assist Senior Strategic Advisor (General Counsel) with outreach supporting other key company initiatives, in crises, and in maintaining organizational outreach materials as needed.
- Work in conjunction with other departments, including Environmental Policy, Communications and External Affairs to coordinate outreach activities to build support and encourage advocacy for Tri-State's position on proposed or existing regulation among internal and external audiences.
- Identify opportunities to educate internal and external stakeholders about impacts of regulatory proposals and prepares necessary materials and presentations for presenters.
- Adhere to and demonstrate compliance with appropriate electric utility industry regulatory requirements. Attain knowledge and remain knowledgeable of development in regulations, laws, standards and best practices applicable to the functional area including, but not limited to, Standards of Conduct, Environmental, Employment Law, NERC Reliability Standards and Safety. Must be familiar with, and comply with, all aspects of Corporate Policy C-54, Compliance.
- Demonstrate behavior consistent with Tri-State's culture embodied in the Cooperative principles and spirit and core values of technical competency, respect and dignity, accountability, integrity, trustworthiness, and servant leadership to empower or otherwise enable others to optimally perform their job responsibilities. Demonstrate and promote ethics and behaviors consistent with Tri-State's culture, Board policies, and business practices. Understand and fulfill the role and responsibility for all compliance programs within the company.
- Because Tri-State is an electric utility with continuous service obligations to its customers, regular, reliable, and predictable performance of the essential functions and responsibilities is an essential function of the job.
- Because Tri-State has an obligation to provide continuous, reliable electric service to its customers, the ability to work overtime at any time of the day or week is considered an essential function of the job.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
SUCCESS FACTORS/JOB COMPETENCIES:
- Excellent writing and editing skills with the ability to simplify complex and technical issues into messages that are easily understood by all audiences.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to manage time efficiently, prioritize requests and ensure on-time delivery.
- Ability to work both independently, with minimal direction, and within a collaborative team setting with input from diverse range of views.
- Ability to develop and manage integrated and strategic plans in support of organizational issues and during crisis.
- Strong problem solving skills at both strategic and functional levels.
- Demonstrate commitment to company values.
REQUIRED JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
Education and Training:
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Marketing, Communications, Public Policy, Political Science, or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Ability:
- Excellent oral and written communications skills with a demonstrated ability to simplify technical issues.
- Ability to research and produce outreach materials that maintain message discipline and can be used wide-ranging educational and advocacy efforts.
- Familiarity with the latest advocacy strategies and the ability to design and implement outreach campaigns that effectively target key audiences.
- Experience working with cross functional teams (government relations, communications, media relations and community relations) and coordinating efforts targeting diverse audiences.
- Ability to plan and lead team meetings, including developing agendas and identifying relevant topics.
- Zero (0) to two and a half (2 1/2) years of relevant experience.
- Willingness to travel as required which could be up to 25% of time. (Possession of valid driver's license or ability to obtain.)
- Must be able to demonstrate that he/she can perform all of the essential functions of the position, including submission of writing samples upon request.
DESIRED JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
- Editing and proofreading experience highly desired.
- Experience gained from past work with a political or issue campaign, public affairs agency, trade organization, think tank or elected official highly desired.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL DEMANDS: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical demands: While performing the duties of this position, the incumbent is required to sit for long periods of time, occasionally stand, walk, stoop, bend, and reach above and below shoulder level. Incumbent is frequently required to use hands and fingers to handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls, talk and hear.
- Mental demands: While performing the duties of this job, the incumbent is required to read, write, perform basic math, analyze data and reports, exercise judgment, develop plans, procedures and goals, and present information to others and work under pressure.
- Work Environment: While performing the duties of this position, the incumbent is occasionally exposed to dirt/dust, chemicals, confined areas and noise. Most duties are performed indoors and at a desk, operating office equipment.
Job Title: Strategic Advisor I (IRC26212)
Location: Westminster, CO, US
Base Location: Headquarters Office - Westminster, CO
Amount of Travel: Up to 20%
Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran