National Grid UX Researcher, ngDigital in Waltham, Massachusetts
National Grid is one of the world’s largest publicly listed utilities focused on transmission and distribution of electricity and gas. We deliver electricity and gas safely, reliably, and efficiently to the customer and communities we serve – all while working toward a clean energy future. As part of our commitment to helping our society decarbonize, National Grid must develop the digital and technology capabilities required to operate a zero-carbon electricity system. This will require us to complete our digital transformation so that we can build products, platforms, and services that enable the innovation needed to reshape the energy system.
As part of this transformation, National Grid has built a new team, ngDigital, to infuse our organization with digital builders across product management, design, and engineering. We offer flexible remote working arrangements in the Northeast region of the US, and in London in the UK. We have physical offices in Boston, MA and Brooklyn, NY in the US, and Birmingham in the UK. We are hiring digital builders at all levels to support our mission to enable a fair and affordable transition to a clean energy economy.
National Grid is building a new team, Digital Acceleration (DA), to provide best-in-class digital delivery. DA will comprise two hubs, one in the US (Boston) and one in the UK (Birmingham) and will build digital products that create strategic value in a fast and agile manner. In addition to creating digital products, the DA hubs are talent incubators that will disseminate digital capabilities and culture within National Grid.
The UX Researcher will be responsible for providing answers to challenging and often unexplored questions about a product. You will also be responsible for identifying the user's needs, pain-points, and requirements and translating their insights into actionable documents such as user personas, affinity diagrams, mental models and other industry-standard reports. You will conduct usability testing of existing products and prototypes, complete competitor analysis, and perform user satisfaction benchmarking.
• Partner with product management, engineering, and business operations teams to provide the best outcomes for our users.
• Ensure quality delivery by identifying opportunities for process improvement and standardization that will assist with efficiency while maintaining quality for our users.
• Bring strategic thinking and business acumen to facilitate discussions with our users.
• Lead quantitative and qualitative research and contextual design investigations to understand customer behaviors, pain points, needs and aspirations.
• Provide insights and user requirements and how they map to business outcomes that inform design concepts and product feature values.
• Undergraduate degree in Psychology, Human Computer Interaction, Social Science or a related field, or the equivalent in years of professional experience
• Minimum 3 years of experience in a customer-facing, enterprise-level digital agency or consulting firm conducting hands-on user research.
• Command over a broad set of quantitative and qualitative user-centered design research methods (i.e., usability testing, concept testing, usability benchmarking, ethnography, longitudinal studies, journey mapping, personas, research roadmaps, diary studies, information architecture methods, etc.)
• Strategic and creative thinker with a data-driven mindset and excellent communication skills
• Experience working in a fast-paced professional service environment and managing ambiguity, working autonomously, keeping organized, and multitasking.
• Experience with qualitative and quantitative user research software platforms such as UserTesting, UserZoom or Optimal workshop a plus
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.