National Grid Senior Product Engineer, ngDigital in Waltham, Massachusetts
National Grid is one of the world’s largest publicly listed utilities focused on transmission and distribution of electricity and gas. We deliver electricity and gas safely, reliably, and efficiently to the customer and communities we serve – all while working toward a clean energy future. As part of our commitment to helping our society decarbonize, National Grid must develop the digital and technology capabilities required to operate a zero-carbon electricity system. This will require us to complete our digital transformation so that we can build products, platforms, and services that enable the innovation needed to reshape the energy system.
As part of this transformation, National Grid has built a new team, ngDigital, to infuse our organization with digital builders across product management, design, and engineering. We offer flexible remote working arrangements in the Northeast region of the US, and in London in the UK. We have physical offices in Boston, MA and Brooklyn, NY in the US, and Birmingham in the UK. We are hiring digital builders at all levels to support our mission to enable a fair and affordable transition to a clean energy economy.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will be involved in the product development process from ideation to launch, working closely with software engineers, product managers, UI/UX designers, and key stakeholders across the organization to deliver the best digital experiences for our users. You will actively contribute to the success of the team by innovating, leading technical discussions, and producing products that will transform the organization.
• Front-end and/or back-end software engineering
• Write well-designed, testable, and efficient code
• Provide contributions to the engineering organization (eg, innovation, process improvements, introduction of technologies, and team mentorship)
• Champion Agile/Lean best practices to continually improve and deliver value quickly and iteratively
• Contribute to product and system design and architectural discussions
• Support and mentor junior engineers
• Contribute to the Integration of software components into a fully functional software system
• Involved in cross-team engineering initiatives
• Collaborate with business and technical stakeholders on the development of digital products
• Contribute to IT standards, procedures, and process
• Actively participate in the design of software solutions
• Contribute to software verification plans and quality assurance procedures
• Document and maintain software functionality
• Software engineering experience in a structured team and environment
• Full software development lifecycle experience
• Experience with some form of Lean software development methodology (e.g., Agile SCRUM)
• Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery Implementation experience preferred
• Practical experience in building and using RESTful API’s preferred
• Practical experience in Cloud Computing, Microservices, Databases, Networking, and DevOps preferred
• Strong stakeholder management skills
• Ability to communicate ideas and decisions to a variety of team members and stakeholders
• Ability to explain complex technical concepts to non-technical audiences
• Demonstrate flexibility to respond to the changing needs of the business
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.