National Grid Security Product Owner, Vulnerability Management in Waltham, Massachusetts
National Grid is hiring a Security Product Owner, Vulnerability Management for our security operations in Waltham, MA.
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
National Grid delivers gas and electricity to many millions of people across Great Britain and North Eastern US in an efficient, reliable, secure and safe manner. We protect our people, our premises, and digital systems with the objective of maintaining trust in National Grid services. Our mission which we believe in and are excited by is the opportunity to create a world class Security team to defend critical national infrastructure in the UK and US and the millions of customer communities that we serve.
Cyber Security Services are responsible for the planning, design, implementation and support of effective cyber solutions. Our vision is to be recognised as a world leading Security function in the energy sector and a trusted partner across National Grid businesses. Working alongside engineering, the Product Team drive and deliver the long-term product vision, strategy and continually align the products with the organisation’s needs.
We are looking for an experienced agile Product Owner to support the Vulnerability Management engineering team with development and management of products to support Security Operations. This is a critical security domain ensuring the organisation has the processes and technology elements in place to detect and respond at scale and keep US and UK energy services secure using the latest technologies and innovations.
As a Product Owner you will progress the development and release of innovative products, features and services that answer pressing business needs. You inspire the team to achieve our product vision by effectively communicating the roadmap and associated products. You translate the roadmap into descriptive, achievable use case led requirements. You promote agile working practises and partner with the engineering team to define and design and ensure the product vision is achievable. You bring the customer voice to the conversation and ensure the delivery of value to our customers.
This is a role with a new team who have recently transformed to new ways of working. We are looking for an experienced Product Owner with cyber security knowledge, experience of working alongside engineering teams, and agile teams. This is a great opportunity to help build a high performing team in a critical infrastructure industry.
• Collaborate with Product and Engineering to define the scope of product development to support the Vulnerability Management team
• Prioritise engineering effort effectively; manage trade-offs between tactical priorities and strategic fit and use data on current performance and threat insights to inform decisions
• Plan for feature releases against an agile framework, lead engineering to deliver against goals
• Support the Product Manager to manage user expectations and maximise value to customers across the full product lifecycle
• Deeply understand customer, business and stakeholder needs, desires and area trends and keep them at the centre of all you do
• Provide product expertise for the rest of the organisation, invest in understanding current innovations and practices and bringing these to life in National Grid
• Impactful; delivering value through continuous improvement of products and services to support the needs of the Security Operations Center.
Leadership Qualities & Business Capabilities
• To translate the future vision and strategy to commercial by anticipating market needs and customer-driven by understanding and addressing customer needs
• To able to influence key stakeholders and connect with different part of the business
• To motivate and inspire others- be a role model with an open-mind, seeking to hear and respect diversity of thought while empowering and trusting others to make the right decisions
• To keep improving the services and have an end-to-end customer focus approach
• To build a strong relationship with security, product, and engineering teams, understanding their strengths, aspirations and motivations, adapting your leadership style as the team develops
• To coach, connect and engage with your team – supporting them to solve their own problems
• To take responsibility for your team’s performance, setting clear objectives and targets for the year, monitoring performance and holding your team to account – celebrating success and driving for improvement
• To provide regular and ongoing feedback to each team member to aid team performance, and be open to feedback yourself
• To embed a safety mind-set within your team and create an open, two-way environment for communication and ideas sharing
• To build a broader network with other leaders across the organisation
• To actively develop yourself as a leader and be a role model to your team of the type of behaviours you expect
• To drive action and change to improve the customer experience
• To identify and implement commercial solutions to deliver value
• To ensure your team adheres to National Grid data management principles
Knowledge, Experience and Technical Know How
• Strong knowledge and experience using agile frameworks
• Strong knowledge and experience designing and implementing technical security solutions within the Cyber Security domain
• Understanding of cyber threats and risks to inform decision making
• Experience of understanding customer needs, creating innovative outcomes to problems and leading engineering teams to deliver successful products
• Familiar with solving complex cyber security problems by automating workflows
• Adept at working with users and groups at all levels to obtain requirements, and experience of working with global teams and stakeholders
• A critical thinker with an analytical mind-set and adept at evaluating opportunities to reach goals
• Experience leveraging Design Thinking concepts to build digital experiences to meet customer needs
• Experience of working as a security architect working closely with business stakeholders
• Knowledge/experience of MS O365, SNOW, Jira, Confluence
• Bachelor’s degree in Software engineering, business management or related disciplines or relevant professional experience
• 3 years minimum experience in a product or engineering role with responsibility for, and demonstrable success with, at least one major internal enterprise, external commercial or consumer product (or equivalent)
• English language fluency
• CISSP, OSCP (or other VM/Pentest Certification)
• Training and certification as a professional scrum product owner (PSPO) or as a certified scrum product owner (CSPO).
• At least 2 years of experience in IT Delivery projects
• At least 2 years of experience in Agile Processes
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.