National Grid Protection Engineer NE in Waltham, Massachusetts
About the Position:
National Grid is seeking an Electrical Engineer for a position within the Protection Engineering Department at our Waltham location.
To provide technical expertise and support from an engineering perspective to ensure effective National Grid operations.
At the lower levels this can encompass a range of duties including coordination studies, fault studies, relay settings, disturbance investigations, protection reviews and repair, safety implementation and monitoring and participation in small and large scale engineering projects.
At the higher levels this role will also develop protection policy, complex protection system design, complex disturbance investigations, audit support, protection industry committee participation. Provide protection designs that ensure effective operations and ensure other National Grid business units are provided with the appropriate technical expertise to meet local needs.
· Provide protection design and perform coordination and short circuit engineering studies, analysis and disturbance investigations, under supervision, in order to recommend corrective action in problem areas, or to prevent problems.
· Independently collate and analyze data usingASPEN, WaveWin, symmetrical components, and manufacturer equipment software in order to support the department’s decision making process.
· Execute instructions and requests, plan and organize resources and make appropriate arrangements to ensure that work is carried out efficiently and in line with relevant policies and processes.
· Test and challenge existing procedures and highlight areas for improvement in order to ensure they are robust.
· Develop relationships with internal and external stakeholders in order to obtain and share information that will benefit National Grid.
· Undertake specific tasks of varying complexity in order to support colleagues in the design of technical solutions.
· Build upon technical/professional skills within own area of specialism or of other processes in order to continually grow your personal contribution to the business.
Knowledge & Experience Required:
A Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering or Electrical Engineering Technology from an ABET accredited engineering program.
Job classifications are dependent upon the level of job related experience.
Good working knowledge of industry standards, safety standards, and existing electrical design codes.
Proficient MS Office computer skills (Access, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Word, etc.)
Ability to physically navigate in and around an electrical substation.
Strong problem solving and analytical skills.
Proven interpersonal and written communication skills.
Valid driver's license and acceptable driving record.
Preferences for Current Position:
Professional Engineers License (or ability to obtain within 1 yr) is a Plus
1 to 5 years Protection work experience (Master's degree considered equivalent to 1 yr work experience)
FE exam complete for Engineer with < 4 years work experience is a plus
This position is one of National Grid’s career path roles which provide for promotional opportunities within and across salary bands as you develop and evolve in the position by gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills./ /
/ National Grid is an equal opportunity employer thatvaluesa broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture ofinclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to bean affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team. /
Job: *Electric Systems Eng
Title: Protection Engineer NE
Requisition ID: 20181971