National Grid Principal Solution Architect in Waltham, Massachusetts
National Grid is hiring a Solution Architect for our Advanced Meter Infrastructure (AMI) initiative in Waltham, MA.
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
We are searching for an innovative, adaptable, and results-oriented individual to lead the technical design and coordination of a cross-functional, next generation advanced meter deployment and processing platform.
This person will be responsible for coordinating and defining the efforts of multiple teams to produce a full end-to-end solution including Third Party Architects, Network Engineers, Cloud Architects, Business Analysts, Data Architects, Domain Architects, Enterprise Architects, Quality Engineers, Integration Architects, and Software & System Engineers through the Systems Development Life Cycle. This role will report to the Director of AMI Engineering within the IT organization.
The Advanced Meter Infrastructure (AMI) program is a multi-year, multi-million dollar initiative that’s bringing transformative change to the dynamic and intelligent management of energy resources. It is intended to be a base platform for automated optimization in the future.
With the AMI initiative, National Grid is making a significant investment in our people, processes and IT systems—all designed to overcome these challenges and drive our leadership in our rapidly changing industry.
We are utilizing the agile development and DevOps methodologies to deliver projects delivering business value across multiple applications.
· Define and Design the interaction among the components in a multi-cloud, high-volume critical platform.
· Ensure solutions meet quality standards including compliance, security, robustness, scalability, and accuracy.
· Identifies, compares, and recommends technical options provided by each platform.
· Work with Commercial, Enterprise Architecture, Security, Infrastructure & Operations and Strategy & Innovation to ensure holistic solution meets IT strategy and standards.
· Reviews code to ensure it adheres to best practices & coding policies.
· Responsible for creating conceptual designs and leading the path through the review and approval efforts.
· Align the design with industry standards and practices
· Work with the Enterprise Architecture team to ensure architecture aligns with business objectives & IT Strategy.
· Provide recommendations for configuration management.
· Participate in Defect Management throughout test, deployment and post go live support.
· Advise on approach to Unit Testing, System Testing, Integration Testing, & Performance Testing.
Supervisory/Interpersonal- Experience Required
· Excellent stakeholder management skills with credibility and gravitas to influence and lead thought at the senior level.
· Manage any partner resources engaged to carry out technical work.
· Ensure implementation match designs and coordinate remediation when necessary.
· Bachelor's degree in computer science/engineering or in related field; Master's Degree preferred
· At least 10+ years of experience working in the technology industry with 3+ years in technical leadership role.
· At least 5 years experience working in a multi-cloud distributed ecosystem, ideally with remote devices
· Experience with IT teams as part of a large multi-year, business-critical technology program
· Thorough knowledge of AMI including the MDMS, head end systems, meters, as well as the data and features required for a successful deployment.
· Thorough knowledge of Agile software delivery models (SAFe, Kanban, Scrum, etc.)
· Ability to promote and role model a team-oriented environment
· Ability to lead a global technology teams in different locations
· Highly developed negotiation, facilitation and consensus building skills
· Highly developed oral and written communication skills; strong presentation skills
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.