National Grid Manager, IS Projects - GIS in Waltham, Massachusetts
The Gas Business Enablement (GBE) program is a multi-year, multi-million dollar initiative that’s bringing transformative change to the way our US Gas teams work every day. By standardizing and simplifying both the processes and the technology we use to run our business, GBE is enabling teams to work even safer and smarter as we serve our customers.
With GBE, National Grid is making a significant investment in our people, processes and IT systems—all designed to overcome these challenges and drive our leadership in our rapidly changing industry.
We are utilizing the agile development and DevOps methodologies to deliver projects delivering business value across multiple applications including Salesforce, MuleSoft, Maximo, ESRI / GIS and WorkForce.
If you are looking to join a dynamic, growing and challenging environment, GBE is the place for you
National Grid IT team is currently seeking an innovative, adaptable, and results-oriented individual to work on the GIS Solutions Engineering team within our Engineering Systems area to support the GBE program and other future corporate capital improvement projects. This individual will be responsible for work with an organization of Solution Architects, Software & System Engineers, Scrummasters and Release Mangers to implement application/platform solutions through the Systems Development Life Cycle. This role will report to the Solutions Engineering Manager for GIS within the National Grid IT organization
• Define and implement development standards for the platform including code, configuration management, integration, security compliance and user experience.
• Own the deployment plan for the platform ensuring all developments and deployments are planned and executed in a controlled way.
• Define and implement test plans, quality metrics, and entrance/exit criteria.
• Identifies, compares and recommends technical options provided by the platform.
• Work with Commercial, EA, Security, Infrastructure & Operations and Strategy & Innovation to ensure holistic solution meets IT strategy and standards.
• Manages a team of Solution Architects, Software & System Engineers, Scrummasters and Release Mangers to implement application/platform solutions through the SDLC - requirements, design, testing, deployment, & post go-live support.
• Manages business requirements and user stories, non-functional requirements, functional design, system test plans, and deployment plans
• Reviews code (for in-house development) to ensure it adheres to best practices & coding policies.
• Responsible for creating and tracking WBS schedule for Solution Development tasks.
• High level conceptual design with internal resources (including Solution Architects).
• Detailed design compliant with National Grid and Development standards and policies (using both internal and partner resource). Works with the Enterprise Architecture team to ensure architecture aligns with business objectives & IT Strategy.
• Development and configuration management (planning, quality control, issue management and code management).
• Defect Management (for developed items only) throughout test, deployment and post go live support.
• Accountable for Unit Testing, System Testing, Integration Testing, & Performance Testing.
• Ensure security deliverables are executed (scans and pen testing etc.).
• Manage any partner resources engaged to carry out development work.
• Provide status updates, risks, issues, costs through to the National Grid project manager in the Business Partner team.
• Responsible for appropriate resourcing strategy and planning for the development teams.
• Hire and manage technical resources aligned with resourcing strategy.
• Performance Management, Objective Setting, Career Development, & coaching for all internal staff.
• Establish and maintain relationship with Application Development Application Maintenance (ADAM) partners where internal skills are not available (aligned with resource strategy).
• Bachelor's degree in computer science/engineering or in related field; Master's Degree preferred
• At least 10+ years of experience working in the technology industry with 3+ years in leadership role
• Experience leading IT teams as part of a large multi-year, business-critical technology program
• Strong knowledge of IT Engineering systems (i.e., Maximo and ESRI/GIS)
• Thorough knowledge of Agile software delivery models (Kanban, Scrum, etc.)
• Ability to promote and role model a team-oriented environment
• Ability to lead technology teams in different locations in US
• Highly developed negotiation, facilitation and consensus building skills
Desired Technical Skill Set
The ideal candidate will have:
o 7-10 years of experience implementing, administrating and supporting enterprise IT-GIS solutions/systems that leverage the ArcGIS enterprise platform
o 5+ years of hands-on experience with ESRI software, including ArcGIS Enterprise, Portal for ArcGIS, ArcGIS Runtime and their associated APIs or interfaces
o Firm grasp of software development lifecycle management, application lifecycle management and DevOps tools, technologies and techniques (e.g., BitBucket and Ansible)
o Knowledge of geospatial and mapping concepts, theories and terminology, such as spatial analysis, map projections and network analysis
o Expertise with GIS integration techniques and technologies to other asset and work management solutions (e.g., IBM Maximo via ArcGISDataSync and Salesforce/DNV-GL/CSS via Mulesoft)
o Ability to effectively evaluate of products, vendors and technology rollouts
o Knowledge of ESRI’s Utility Network Database Model, Schneider’s ArcFM application, and mobile GIS solutions (i.e., particularly Critigen’s mobile GIS product, Lemur)
o Strong proficiency with migrating and conflating GIS data from non-ESRI applications (GE SmallWorld and NRG) to ESRI applications
Desired Intangible Characteristics
We are looking for someone who possesses:
o a strong autonomous, work ethic
o excellent organization and documentation skills
o strong oral and written communication skills (e.g., ability and awareness to scale up or down technical detail of a conversation based on background of their audience)
o a keen eye for detail, schedule and budget
o good project, product and stakeholder management skills (e.g., ability to multitask)
o intellectual curiosity and creativity
o empathy and integrity
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team