National Grid Estimator, Capital Project Delivery in Waltham, Massachusetts
National Grid is hiring a Project Estimator for our Capital Delivery department in Waltham, MA.
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are therewhen people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The
pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us inan unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy deliverytoday and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
Customer/Non-Conventional Project Estimating plays a critical role in shaping National Grid’s capital budgets for future and ready for customer construction utility projects. By working closely with numerous other departments including Engineering, Project Development, Project Management, Customer Services, Distributed Generation, and Construction, our highly collaborative team develops detailed, defensible estimates using nationally recognized estimating techniques. Our unique position within the business allows us to participate as core project team members in challenging and interesting capital projects. We are constantly seeking ways to improve our own performance through team-developed department initiatives as well as analysis of actual spend to our estimates upon project completion
The Estimator will prepare accurate and timely utility construction estimates for all short cycle customer, distributed generation, non-complex and complex construction projects. Estimates include all aspects of a project including materials, engineering, permitting, environmental compliance, construction, labor and equipment.
• Training sessions and mentoring to learn the National Grid business structure, the utility business and National Grid estimating practices.
• Prepare accurate and timely construction estimates based on engineering designs, drawings, site visits, contractual agreements, materials, permitting, environmental, construction labor, and equipment. Incorporate solid understanding of the utility construction process into complex estimates.
• Analyze key themes and trends to ensure all factors are properly considered, priced and included in the project estimate.
• Determine understanding of risk associated with large capital projects and the application of contingency. This would include application and development of risk registers, Quantitative Risk Assessments, and/or Monte Carlo Simulations.
• Revise and update the estimating system software to support storage and retrieval of estimating information and enhance efficiency and operability of the system.
• Monitor year-on-year accuracy of estimated costs and challenge business processes in order to ensure National Grid is compliant with applicable regulations and deliver projects on budget. Perform planned versus actual evaluations upon project completions for costs and schedule.
• Document findings and develop improvement plans based on the analysis.
• Consult and collaborate with vendors, personnel in other departments or engineers to discuss and formulate estimates and resolve issues.
• Challenge existing ways of working and continuously seek ways to do things better in order to drive greater efficiencies within assigned area.
• Work independently to manage schedule and workload in order to meet need dates.
Supervisory/Interpersonal- Experience Required
Proficient communicator and influencer.
Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Construction Management or closely related field. ex: Project Management, Business Degree
Or Associate Degree with 2 - 5 years of relevant work experience and training may be considered.
Proficient MS Office computer skills (Access, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Word, etc.)
Strong problem solving and analytical skills.
Proven interpersonal and written communication skills.
Knowledge of planning, design, and construction process.
Able to work and interact with various team members during all phases of projects.
Valid driver's license required.
Preferences for Current Position:
2-5 years of estimating work experience
Knowledge of construction means and methods, costs and engineering principles.
Experience working on Natural Gas and Electric Utility construction projects.
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and acrossbands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring
and applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and provided offers againstthe minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.