National Grid Director of Product Engineering, Digital in Waltham, Massachusetts
In accordance with guidelines regarding companies classified as Federal contractors and consistent with our core commitment of safety, National Grid has made the decision to require all new hires to be fully COVID-19 vaccinated as a condition of hire. "Full vaccination" is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine has been administered. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, either because of a religious belief or a disability can request a reasonable accommodation.
National Grid is one of the world’s largest publicly listed utilities focused on transmission and distribution of electricity and gas. We deliver electricity and gas safely, reliably, and efficiently to the customer and communities we serve – all while working toward a clean energy future. As part of our commitment to helping our society decarbonize, National Grid must develop the digital and technology capabilities required to operate a zero-carbon electricity system. This will require us to complete our digital transformation so that we can build products, platforms, and services that enable the innovation needed to reshape the energy system.
As part of this transformation, National Grid has built a new team, Digital, to infuse our organization with digital builders across product management, design, and engineering. We offer flexible remote working arrangements in the Northeast region of the US, and in London in the UK. We have physical offices in Boston, MA and Brooklyn, NY in the US, and Birmingham in the UK. We are hiring digital builders at all levels to support our mission to enable a fair and affordable transition to a clean energy economy.
At National Grid, we are building a new team, Digital Acceleration, to provide best-in-class digital delivery from two regional hubs that execute in a fast, agile manner against strategic priorities. These hubs are talent incubators that disseminate digital capabilities and culture within National Grid.
We are looking for an influential Director of Product Engineering leader to provide strategic direction on initiatives with significant impact to the organization. This leader will be responsible for driving the technology strategy, gaining alignment with the business and peer technology organizations, and leading solution delivery.
• Provide leadership and technical vision for software development teams
• Scale teams of 25+ engineers
• Measure and improve team engagement, productivity, and process
• Manage software engineering strategy, schedules, budgets and resource allocation
• Champion Agile/Lean best practices to continually improve and deliver value quickly and iteratively
• Contribute to product and system design and architectural discussions
• Support and mentor managers and engineers
• Collaborate with business and technical stakeholders
• Contribute to IT standards, procedures, and process
• Actively participate in the design of software solutions
• Show flexibility to respond to the changing needs of the business
• Contribute to software verification plans and quality assurance procedures
Supervisory/Interpersonal- Experience Required
• Proven history of leadership in a technical organization
• Experience mentoring/coaching managers
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to craft and deliver presentations to management level
• Work with Directors and Vice Presidents to develop innovative approaches to digital solutions
• Collaborate with internal and external stakeholders across the organization
• Experience building, leading and growing inclusive, high-performing teams
• A history of embracing and incubating emerging technology and open-source products
• Demonstrated ability building highly resilient, scalable and available platforms
• Ability to collaborate with various partners in the tech, product, design and business ecosystem
• Flexible and adaptable to changing priorities and technologies
• Ability to seed and champion innovation into the greater organization
• Leading multiple teams in an Agile environment
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.