National Grid Director of Product Design, Digital in Waltham, Massachusetts
In accordance with guidelines regarding companies classified as Federal contractors and consistent with our core commitment of safety, National Grid has made the decision to require all new hires to be fully COVID-19 vaccinated as a condition of hire. "Full vaccination" is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine has been administered. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, either because of a religious belief or a disability can request a reasonable accommodation.
National Grid is one of the world’s largest publicly listed utilities focused on transmission and distribution of electricity and gas. We deliver electricity and gas safely, reliably, and efficiently to the customer and communities we serve – all while working toward a clean energy future. As part of our commitment to helping our society decarbonize, National Grid must develop the digital and technology capabilities required to operate a zero-carbon electricity system. This will require us to complete our digital transformation so that we can build products, platforms, and services that enable the innovation needed to reshape the energy system.
As part of this transformation, National Grid has built a new team, Digital, to infuse our organization with digital builders across product management, design, and engineering. We offer flexible remote working arrangements in the Northeast region of the US, and in London in the UK. We have physical offices in Boston, MA and Brooklyn, NY in the US, and Birmingham in the UK. We are hiring digital builders at all levels to support our mission to enable a fair and affordable transition to a clean energy economy.
National Grid is building a new team, Digital Acceleration (DA), to provide best-in-class digital delivery. DA will comprise two hubs, one in the US (Boston) and one in the UK (Birmingham) and will build digital products that create strategic value in a fast and agile manner. In addition to creating digital products, the DA hubs are talent incubators that will disseminate digital capabilities and culture within National Grid.
The Director of Product Design will own and delivery the User Experience Design Strategy across several Digital Acceleration products, ensuring that we have the right people, resources and toolkits in place in order to build best in class user experiences. You will be an expert practitioner with broad industry experience, who can define and assure best practice while influencing, leading and mentoring a design team.
• Directly lead a multi-faceted team of product designers and user researchers to focus on defining and delivering new experiences and incremental improvement to existing experiences through product portfolio.
• Hire, coach and mentor team leaders and individual contributors to continue to grow and evolve the capabilities of the team
• Lead work through the team, including prioritization, guidance and support and resource planning
• Demonstrate expertise in the core human-centered design (HCD) competencies: research, strategy, and design
• Provide mentoring and advisory perspectives across the broader team to ensure HCD work is embraced throughout the organization
• Build relationships across National Grid teams to plan, develop and implement approaches and processes needed to deliver exceptional digital product experiences
• Define and implement the framework needed to coordinate across multiple work projects throughout the organization
• Effectively communicate the strategic direction of the work as well as the final output to leaders across the company
• 10+ years of experience in experience design (e.g., UX design, strategy, product design, research, etc.)
• 8+ years’ experience directly leading multidisciplinary experience design teams
• Experience building, leading and growing inclusive, high-performing teams
• A history of embracing and incubating design operations
• Ability to collaborate with various partners in the tech, product, and business ecosystem
• Flexible and adaptable to changing priorities and technologies
• Ability to seed and champion innovation into the greater organization
• Leading teams in an Agile environment
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.