Avangrid Engineer- Civil in Vestal, New York
Company: AVANGRID SERVICE COMPANY
Vestal, NY, US
Iberdrola is a global energy leader, the number one producer of wind power, and one of the world's biggest electricity utilities in terms of market capitalisation. The group supplies energy to almost 100 million people in dozens of countries including Spain, the United Kingdom (ScottishPower), the United States (AVANGRID), Brazil (Neoenergia), Mexico, Germany, Portugal, Italy and France, with a workforce of more than 35,000 people.
Iberdrola is leading the transition towards a sustainable energy model through its investments in renewable energy, smart grids, large-scale energy storage and digital transformation, to offer its customers the most advanced products and services. Thanks to its commitment to clean energy, Iberdrola is one of the companies with the lowest emissions and an international benchmark for its contribution to sustainability and the fight against climate change.
The engineer will have a role in developing substation standards for AVANGRID. Write engineering specifications, create and maintain design libraries for substations including specifications and bill of materials/quantities. Work with administrative and general direction from supervision. Follow updates in research and developments taking place in the power industry, through training and industry associations. The engineer will work with teams/projects to solve complex substation equipment/design problems taking a broad perspective to identify innovative solutions. Participates and represents AVANGRID on Industry associations.
• Proactively identify and perform special projects and studies that innovatively solve unique and complex problems with broad impact to the business. Develop alternate methods or design concepts to resolve unique problems or to improve processes/services.
• Solves complex and unique substation engineering problems. Utilizes a broad prospective to investigate and identify innovative solutions.
• Contribute to the development & execution of Departmental or Divisional strategy.
• Create and maintain design libraries for substations agree with department plan. Develop plan to maintain libraries based on lessons learnt, new practices and industry trends.
• Recognized expert for disciplines of extreme importance to AVANGRID including following disciplines:
o Civil, including site preparation, foundations, buildings
o Substation siting analysis
o Mechanical and structural design
o GIS Station design including buildings
o Construction specifications
• Interpret internal/external business issues and recommend best practices and/or process improvements. Participate in Industry associations.
• Develop innovative services, technologies, & make recommendations with respect to current and future customer & stakeholder needs. Make presentations to regulatory/public entities.
• Design systems to resolve highly complex problems in non-std situations & develop creative solutions that achieve division results. Independently apply design standards, industry codes, design criteria, guidelines & AVANGRID polices/procedures.
• Has depth & breath of knowledge & interprets processes and standards related to substation engineering. Recommends solutions and best practices where appropriate. Represents Process and Technologies on projects, task forces and studies.
Skills and Requirements
Education & Experience Required:
• Requires a bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline from an ABET accredited college/university
• 3+ years’ experience performing engineering duties
• Specialized advanced training is also required or graduate level engineering degree
• Possess experience in electric transmission or distribution standards engineering and knowledge of internal/external business and regulatory issues
• Maintains knowledge of leading-edge techniques or technology through participation in professional Associations
• Able to communicate orally or in writing to regulatory and/or public entities
• Able to lead a Team or mentor others
Develop Self & Others
Empower to grow
Collaborate and Share
Be a role model
Focus to achieve results
Avangrid employees may be assigned a system emergency role and in the event of a system emergency, may be required to work outside of their regular schedule/job duties. This is applicable to employees that will work in Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, and New York within AVANGRD Network and Corporate functions. This does not include those that will work for Avangrid Renewables
AVANGRID’s employment practices and policies are geared to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. At AVANGRID we provide fair and equal employment and advancement opportunities for all employees and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. Learn more about equal employment by following this link (https://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf)
If you are an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who is unable to use our online tool to search for or to apply for jobs, you may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting our Human Resources department at 203-499-2777 or firstname.lastname@example.org