Pacific Gas & Electric Company Senior Electrical Field Safety Specialist, Vegetation Management Contractor Safety in Ukiah, California
Requisition ID # 13160
Job Category : Environmental Management / Safety
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Electric Operations
Job Location : Burney; Chico; Fort Bragg; Fortuna; Lakeport; Oroville; Quincy; Red Bluff; Redding; Ukiah; Willow Creek; Willows
Based in San Francisco, Pacific Gas and Electric Company, a subsidiary of PG&E Corporation (NYSE:PCG), is one of the largest combined natural gas and electric utilities in the United States. And we deliver some of the nation's cleanest energy to our customers in Northern and Central California. For PG&E, Together, Building a Better California is not just a slogan. It's the very core of our mission and the scale by which we measure our success. We know that the nearly 16 million people who do business with our company count on our more than 24,000 employees for far more than the delivery of utility services. They, along with every citizen of the state we call home, also expect PG&E to help improve their quality of life, the economic vitality of their communities, and the prospect for a better future fueled by clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy.
Pacific Gas and Electric Company is an Affirmative Action and Equal Employment Opportunity employer that actively pursues and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability status, medical condition, protected veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the job.
PG&E's Vegetation Management department manages 3,500 PG&E employees and contractors, including experts educated and trained in arboriculture; more than 300 have International Society of Arboriculture certifications. Primary objectives are to ensure public safety, system reliability and regulatory compliance by managing vegetation on about 81,000 of overhead distribution line and about 18,000 miles of transmission line across PG&E service area.
Contributes to the Electric Operations safety strategy by collecting, analyzing, tracking, and trending field personnel safety data to determine strengths, gaps, and areas for improvement. Partners with Safety Engineering and Health Services (SE&HS) to ensure alignment with the over-arching corporate safety program and resolution to systematic issues. Serves as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) resource for electrical standards, procedures and for regulatory information as it relates to electrical work practices.
The posting is for two openings in separate PG&E territories, the Northern Coast and the Northern Valley.
Northern Coast: The work locations is flexible throughout the following counties: Humboldt, Mendocino, Sonoma or Lake
Northern Valley: The work locations is flexible throughout the following counties: Shasta, Tehama, Butte, Glenn, Plumas or Lassen
• Contribute to the Vegetation Management Contractor Safety strategy by managing the work of a team of observers assigned to specific contractors and collecting, analyzing, tracking, and trending field personnel safety data to determine strengths, gaps, and areas for improvement.
• Partners with Safety Engineering and Health Services (SE&HS) to ensure alignment with the over-arching corporate safety program and resolution to systematic issues
• Applies electrical trade, regulatory, and Company standard knowledge to assist in the development of safety improvement procedures and processes.
• May prepare process map documentation.
• Assists department data analyst with safety data tracking and trending.
• Assists Human Performance Specialists with electrical safety related incident investigation and causal analysis. Provides insights and opinion regarding the incident cause, what alternative procedure should have been used.
• Assists Safety Compliance Specialists with technical safety audits and assessments, providing input.
• Develops and communicates plans to leverage identified strengths.
• Ensures employee and public safety hazard exposure reduction.
• Interfaces with peers in PG&E Academy training, Distribution Operations Support (DOS) Work Methods and Procedures, and/or (DOS) Field Training, exchanging information regarding observed safety trends and possible needs for new training or modified procedures.
• Partners with Safety Engineering and Health Services (SE&HS) to ensure alignment with the over-arching Corporate Safety program and collaborate in resolution to systematic issues.
• Performs job hazard analyses. Identifies and recommends and/or implements associated hazard mitigation. Observes field work performed. using experience, skill and available procedural manuals, advises field supervisors and field linemen and/or Troublemen regarding the safest procedures and practices in conducting their work.
• Performs regular field observations to reinforce safety and human performance expectations. Coaches employees on observed strengths and areas for safety improvement.
• Provides Storm Response Electrical Safety Support
High School or GED-General Educational Development-GED Diploma
Electrical experience, 5 years
Experience in union environment
Ability to travel up to 75% throughout the designated territory, to include occasional overnight travel
Valid CA driver’s license or ability to obtain by 1 st day of hire
Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Health and Safety or job-related discipline or equivalent experience
Experience in utility vegetation management
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
Experience communicating with diverse audiences
Experience as a Lineman
CHST- Construction Health and Safety Technician
CSP - Certified Safety Professional certification
CTSP - Certified Tree Safety Professional
To better represent the communities we serve, candidates that reside within the respective territories would be given preference