UNS Energy Corporation Renewable Energy Technical Specialist II or Senior in Tucson, Arizona
UNS Energy Corporation, headquartered in Tucson, Arizona, is a subsidiary of Fortis Inc., the largest investor-owned electric and gas distribution utility in Canada. UNS Energy Corporation’s public utility subsidiaries, Tucson Electric Power Company, UNS Electric, Inc. and UNS Gas, Inc., provide electric and gas service to customers in southern and northern Arizona. For more information about UNS Energy Corporation, visit http://www.uns.com.
Tucson Electric Power provides safe, reliable electric service to approximately 414,000 customers in Southern Arizona. Although our company has been in business for more than 120 years, we continue to look for innovative ways of providing value, comfort, convenience and security to our customers every day. We’re evaluating cutting-edge energy technologies, reshaping our energy portfolio and expanding our renewable power and energy-efficiency programs. While our line of work can be challenging, it can also be rewarding. Our team of dedicated professionals values engagement, enthusiasm, innovation and collaboration.
In return, TEP offers a competitive compensation and benefits package that includes a 401k plan with a generous company match, a company-sponsored pension plan, tuition reimbursement, life insurance, long-term disability insurance and much more.
We are currently seeking a talented individual for the position of Renewable Energy Technical Specialist. The successful candidate will provide technical support to the Renewable Energy Department, including inspections, data collection, equipment recognition and technical support for all activities in residential and small commercial distributed generation, including photovoltaic, solar thermal, and wind technologies. To provide training and assistance to various departments, contractors, installers, and individual customers about renewable energy codes, requirements, regulations, and best practices. The position will be filled at the level appropriate to the candidate’s background and experience.
- Ability to read, understand, and interpret system schematics for residential and commercial PV, water heating, space heating, solar chilling, wind and other renewable energy resources.
- Perform work alone or in a team setting in a safe and efficient manner in accordance with Company practices and procedures.
- Understand and follow Company policies and procedures and follow Federal and State safety regulations.
- Understand electrical drawings, components, and operation of renewable energy systems.
- Cultivate good business relationships between contractors, industry partners, and the Company.
- Promote targeted energy applications.
- Review technical customer inquiries, problems, requests and suggestions to determine solutions and responses.
- Completes required final acceptance inspections (or equivalent) verifying program compliance with the Distributed Generation Interconnection Requirements (DGIRs).
- Schedule appointments with contractors and customers for on-site inspections.
- Responsible for understanding production meter output and conducting periodic performance analysis for all distributed generation systems.
- Assist in development and maintenance of office tracking software in regards to production output from renewable energy systems.
- Thorough understanding and knowledge of the Arizona Renewable Energy Standard and Tariff (REST) and provides technical support to the program and program participants in both residential and small commercial.
- Provides training, day-to-day assistance and technical support to secondary work force to complete required Final Acceptance inspections verifying program compliance with the DGIRs.
- Actively participates in company sponsored trade shows, home shows, and other marketing events to deliver appropriate company image within assigned service territory.
- Actively participates in industry associations and sub-committees to represent the Company’s desire to build and maintain strong community partnerships.
- Prepares and delivers presentations related to Company programs and technical issues related to renewable programs, to local and regional groups upon request.
- Complete other assignments as directed by Program Manager.
- This position may provide services to affiliates of the Company subject to the UNS Energy Code of Conduct and the related Policies and Procedures.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
(Equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered)
- Two years of experience in solar field and up-to-date with relevant changes in the renewable energy industry.
- Computer skills – basic use of Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, data entry, data retrieval. Basic experience with CC&B; and Maximo is a plus.
- Working knowledge of electrical distribution systems and utility interconnection requirements.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and the ability to work effectively with customers and all levels of Company personnel.
- Must possess a good job performance history and a valid driver’s license.
- Able to perform math calculations associated with renewable energy system performance and analysis.
- Must be able to work from ladders and elevated platforms.
- Must be able to bend, lift, and stoop for extended periods.
Technical Specialist II:
- Two years as Technical Specialist I (or equivalent) and ability to independently perform medium to large scale interconnections for distributed generation systems. Able to assist with project management or technical support for utility scale projects. May have several projects or studies assigned at the same time.
Senior Technical Specialist:
- Requires undergraduate degree in related field, and four years of experience in the renewable energy field or a two-year degree and six years as a Technical Specialist (or equivalent). Will have primary responsibility for technical reviews of distributed generation systems. Is able to work independently, and only needs guidance on unusual or complex projects. Must possess strong time management, technical knowledge, and leadership skills.
Company: Tucson Electric Power
Location: Tucson, AZ
Job Category: Renewable Energy
Position Type: Unclassified