UNS Energy Corporation Engineering Substation Designer in Tucson, Arizona
UNS Energy Corporation, headquartered in Tucson, Arizona, is a subsidiary of Fortis Inc., the largest investor-owned electric and gas distribution utility in Canada. UNS Energy Corporation’s public utility subsidiaries, Tucson Electric Power Company, UNS Electric, Inc. and UNS Gas, Inc., provide electric and gas service to customers in southern and northern Arizona. For more information about UNS Energy Corporation, visit http://www.uns.com.
Tucson Electric Power provides safe, reliable electric service to approximately 414,000 customers in Southern Arizona. Although our company has been in business for more than 120 years, we continue to look for innovative ways of providing value, comfort, convenience and security to our customers every day. We’re evaluating cutting-edge energy technologies, reshaping our energy portfolio and expanding our renewable power and energy-efficiency programs. While our line of work can be challenging, it can also be rewarding. Our team of dedicated professionals values engagement, enthusiasm, innovation and collaboration.
In return, TEP offers a competitive compensation and benefits package that includes a 401k plan with a generous company match, a company-sponsored pension plan, tuition reimbursement, life insurance, long-term disability insurance and much more.
We are currently seeking a talented individual for the position of Engineering Substation Designer I, II, III, Senior. The successful candidate will assists in the creation of engineering drawings based on rough sketches (from themselves, engineers and/or other designers), researches information on layouts by utilizing standards and design specific reference material (i.e. design criteria and vendor catalogs) or related specifications and scope documents for projects in the assigned engineering group, translates code regulations and specifications in reference to designs, creates electronic markups and designs in CADD, and able to notice oversights/mistakes and make appropriate change or recommendations. Works independently under the direction of an Engineer and plans own work within allotted budget and schedules.
The position will be filled at the level appropriate to the candidate’s background and experience.
- Develops designs and evaluates possible alternatives to meet both major and minor substation project requirements. Assigned projects may be at voltage levels ranging from 4kV up to 500kV. The primary design responsibilities encompass physical layout of the substations and associated equipment and facilities, major equipment and overall material ordering, substation design and calculations for power equipment and facilities, wiring and cable design, interpret and incorporate vendor information into applicable designs, conducts field walkdowns, and gathers data from facilities.
- Designs systems based on rough sketches.
- Recognizes what needs to be accomplished and communicates effectively to others.
- Recognizes design errors and alters those mistakes accordingly.
- Translates code regulations or industry standards (IEEE, IEC, ANSI, etc….) in reference to designs.
- Creates and implements standards for projects.
- Recognizes the technical needs of a drawing or project and acts on those needs.
- Quality checks the final drawing package.
- Works closely on all projects with engineers from the Protection, Communications, Automation and Metering (PCAM) Engineering section who develop all the protection, control schematic drawings and who do all communication and automation equipment related design.
- Works closely with Civil, Transmission and Structural Engineers to determine physical locations of equipment and proper sizing of structures and site design and grading.
- Develops and monitors work progress on project schedules to assure proper coordination of events during the design phase of a project.
- Develops material lists for projects and orders material as needed or necessary through the Material Management System or Work Management System.
- Reports to the section Engineering Supervisor and performs other assignments as requested.
- This position may provide services to affiliates of the Company subject to the UNS Energy Code of Conduct and the related Policies and Procedures.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
(Equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.)
- Research design layouts and alternatives for small modification or revision projects.
- Assist more experienced engineers or designers in large projects or standards creation.
- Will assist in the review and revision of material and design standards.
- Will create electronic drawing markups of rough sketches or initial design drawings.
- Become familiar with TEP specific standards and associated industry standards or codes.
- High school diploma and 1-3 years AutoCADD drafting course work or equivalent technical experience.
- Less than three (3) years professional experience.
- Familiar with conventional drafting symbols, computer graphics and automated drawing methods.
- Works independently under the direction of an Engineer and plans own work within allotted budget and schedules.
- Provides technical support for CADD design systems and software.
- Oversees the drafting of drawing process providing timely feedback to questions and review of final product to meet project schedules.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
*Designer II *
- Will research design layouts and alternatives for small to medium sized projects and will assist more experienced engineers or designers in large projects. May require close supervision on new aspects of assignments.
- Will assist engineers in the creation of standards and process or procedures as needed or requested.
- Will create CAD symbols for standard usage and drawing creation.
- May have several projects assigned at the same time.
- Three (3) or more years’ experience or Associates degree (Drafting and Design Technology) or trade degree (i.e. AA in applied services or applied technology)
- Ability to apply basic electrical or mechanical formulas, principles and practices.
- Ability to estimate time required for assigned project completion.
- Creation of bill of material for project procurement requirements.
- Manufacture drawing review.
- Interpret and incorporate vendor information into applicable designs.
- Conducts field walkdowns and gathers data from facilities.
- Physical equipment layouts and elevation drawings.
- Cable schedule creation and conductor sizing.
- Wiring diagram creation.
- Bus design.
- Translate standards, specifications, and code regulations into design.
- Able to notice oversights/mistakes and make appropriate change or recommendations.
- Shall have strong analytical capabilities and requires close supervision on new aspects of assignments.
*Designer III *
- Requires moderate supervision and technical assistance in project assignments.
- Independently prepares and reviews design deliverables.
- Provides technical guidance in applicable design processes.
- Will have responsibility for projects small to large.
- May have several projects assigned at the same time.
- May assist other engineers or designers in large projects.
- Requires technical guidance and supervision on non-standard assignments.
- Delegates and monitors work while mentoring Engineering Technicians and entry level designers.
- Works well with personnel from Construction, Field Technicians, Procurement, Project Management, and Engineers from various disciplines.
- Comfortable with presenting departmental training material in front of others.
- Minimum qualifications of Designer II with eight (8) years or more experience in a Designer role with at least two years at an electric utility company or illustrate equal competency.
- Is a self-starter and has developed good time management skills, completing all assignments on time.
- Provides direction to other design and drafting personnel in the use of tools and preparation of design deliverables.
- Familiarity with material for voltages ranging from Distribution to 500kV.
- Obtains required input and independently prepares calculations.
- Develops procedure(s) for various functions within department’s range of responsibilities with oversight.
- Familiar and demonstrated use of IEEE and ANSI standards associated with job function.
- Educates other designers and Engineering Technicians on code regulations, specifications, standards, etc.
- Independently prepares and reviews various design deliverables.
- Interpret Planning memo requirements for the development of project scope of work with technical, economic and sequencing of project all considered for an optimized design.
- Requires technical guidance and supervision on non-standard assignments projects.
Company: Tucson Electric Power
Location: Tucson, AZ
Job Category: Engineering
Position Type: Unclassified