Arizona Public Service Cyber Security Specialist PV (Digital Programs Engineering) in TONOPAH, Arizona
Cyber Security Specialist PV (Digital Programs Engineering)
Apply now »
Date: Nov 9, 2021
Location: TONOPAH, AZ, US, 85354
Arizona Public Service generates clean, reliable and affordable energy for 2.7 million Arizonans. Our service territory stretches across the state, from the border town of Douglas to the vistas of the Grand Canyon, from the solar fields of Gila Bend to the ponderosa pines of Payson. As the state’s largest and longest-serving energy provider, our more than 6,000 dedicated employees power our vision of creating a sustainable energy future for Arizona.
Since our founding in 1886, APS has demonstrated a strong commitment to our customers in one of the country’s fastest growing states, earning a reputation for customer satisfaction, shareholder value, operational excellence and business integrity.
Our present and future success depends on the creative and dedicated people of our company who demonstrate the principles outlined in the APS Promise: Design for Tomorrow, Empower Each Other and Succeed Together.
The Cyber Security Specialist for Palo Verde protects sensitive data and Critical Digital Assets (CDAs) from cyber-attacks by proactively preventing breaches of all sizes from internal and external adversaries; and understanding the cyber security implications surrounding the overall architecture of plant networks, operating systems, hardware platforms, plant specific applications and the services and protocols upon which those applications rely. Performs Cyber assessments, audits, network scans and penetration testing against CDAs as necessary. Conducts investigations and preserves evidence collected during cyber security investigations . May be subject to shift work.
Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) plus six (6) years working experience in cyber security positions, of which three (3) years must be nuclear experience. In lieu of nuclear experience, a four-year Bachelor’s degree in Engineering (from an ABET accredited college or university), Information Technology, Cyber Security or related applied science discipline from an accredited college or university.
Preferred Special Skills, Knowledge or Qualifications: Strong IT skills and knowledge including hardware, software, and networks. Ability to seek out vulnerabilities in hardware, software and network infrastructures. Skilled in building network boundary devices and applying hardening requirements. Preferred cyber security certifications: CompTIA Security +, CompTIA Network +, Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH), and CompTIA Advanced Security Practitioner (CSAP).
Nuclear requirement: Any PVGS employee may be called upon to serve as a member of the Emergency Response Organization (ERO) and will be expected to fulfill their obligation as an ERO member. Any PVGS employee may be called upon to support a refueling or short-notice outage. This includes line roles and responsibilities as necessary to execute outage activities. These are conditions of employment at PVGS.
1) Performs reviews of: Alerts and Advisories, Ongoing Monitoring and Assessments, Critical Digital Asset (CDA) Assessments and updates, Maintain Cyber Engineering Study, Impact Reviews for Assessment of Engineering Changes (EC) and performs 50.54 (P) Evaluations. Responsible for Anomaly and Digital Asset Protection System (DAPS) alarm response. Monitors data, searches out malware and ransomware events, and recommends solutions for any vulnerabilities.
2) Prepares engineering plans, designs, analysis, specifications, cost estimates, evaluations, studies, technical reviews, investigations, and verifications. Complies with design, regulatory, operating and maintenance requirements. Ensures engineering analyses, design, project control, schedule commitments, or oversight work is technically sound, cost effective, and in compliance with established standards, codes, and regulations. Checks and reviews analysis, evaluations, and investigations of others.
3) Interfaces with customers and other departments to ensure project objectives are understood and that work scope meets customer requirements, budget and schedule. Contacts customers and various levels of management to obtain or present technical data. Presents results of designs, studies, projects (in terms of new techniques) or approaches to subordinates, colleagues, management and customers.
4) Enhances department performance and productivity and/or unit performance by formulating, coordinating, performing analysis and making recommendations for improvements. Provides technical assistance and guidance to department personnel to enhance department performance and productivity.
5) May provide oversight of cyber technical programs by managing the program requirements, working with cross organizational partners, reviewing and internalizing operating experience and coordinating corrective actions to ensure cyber program elements continue to remain healthy.
6) May assume responsibility for small- to medium-scale projects which include planning, designing, scheduling and coordinating all facets of the project. Identifies potential schedule or quality problems and initiates corrective action. Takes initiative to eliminate barriers and uses resources to ensure desired results. May interface with outside agencies and regulatory authorities.
7) Provides technical guidance and leadership to less experienced cyber security members.
8) May participate in developing long-range strategies for significant site problems.
9) Provides input to projects and recommends modifications to increase operating efficiency and/or reviews design and documentation of projects to ensure compliance with design specifications, schedules and any regulatory requirements.
10) Remains cognizant of current technology and cyber developments as well as industry and competitive developments.
Export Compliance / EEO Statement
This position may require access to and/or use of information subject to control under the Department of Energy's Part 810 Regulations (10 CFR Part 810), the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) (15 CFR Parts 730 through 774), or the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) (22 CFR Chapter I, Subchapter M Part 120) (collectively, 'U.S. Export Control Laws'). Therefore, some positions may require applicants to be a U.S. person, which is defined as a U.S. Citizen, a U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident (i.e. 'Green Card Holder'), a Political Asylee, or a Refugee under the U.S. Export Control Laws. All applicants will be required to confirm their U.S. person or non-US person status. All information collected in this regard will only be used to ensure compliance with U.S. Export Control Laws, and will be used in full compliance with all applicable laws prohibiting discrimination on the basis of national origin and other factors. For positions at Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Stations (PVNGS) all openings will require applicants to be a U.S. person.
Pinnacle West Capital Corporation and its subsidiaries and affiliates ('Pinnacle West') maintain a continuing policy of nondiscrimination in employment. It is our policy to provide equal opportunity in all phases of the employment process and in compliance with applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. This policy of nondiscrimination shall include, but not be limited to, recruiting, hiring, promoting, compensating, reassigning, demoting, transferring, laying off, recalling, terminating employment, and training for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, disability, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other classification or characteristic protected by law.
For more information on applicable equal employment regulations, please refer to EEO is the Law poster. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of every person hired to work in the United States, refer to E-Verify poster. View the employee rights and responsibilities under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA).
Arizona Public Service is a smoke free workplace.
This position is not required to be performed at a specific APS facility as long as adequate technology and a solid ergonomic set up are present. Pending agreement with leadership, employees hired into this role will be able to choose where they prefer to perform their work. Employees will have two options to choose from:
APS office based: The employee prefers to work most of the time from an APS facility.
Home based: The employee prefers to work most of the time from his/her home.
*Employees in Flex roles are required to reside in Arizona (or NM for Four Corners-based employees). Role types are subject to change based on business need.