City of Tacoma WA Library Community Relations Officer in Tacoma, Washington
Tacoma Public Library is recruiting for the position of Community Relations Officer (CRO). This specialized list will be used specifically for the Tacoma Public Library. The Library Community Relations Officer will be responsible to: plan, coordinate and direct community relations, media relations, employee communications and public information programs; under the direction of the library director. The CRO will also be responsible for coordinating and developing the marketing of products and services of the Tacoma Public Library.
Tacoma Public Library is seeking a dynamic communications professional who will help build and launch the Library's content strategy for traditional and social media channels.
The Community Relations Officer, an expert in social media best practices, will increase community engagement and build awareness of the services the library provides that are vital to our quality of life.
The Community Relations Officer will unearth items of interest and create written and visual content to push out through traditional and social media. This person can identify newsworthy stories within the organization and can successfully develop and pitch them to the media. The successful candidate must demonstrate successful public relations work experience.
The ideal candidate has a natural curiosity and is a master storyteller. He/she honestly likes people and is intrigued by employees and customers. As a voice for the library, the Community Relations Officer's communication style needs to be friendly, well-spoken and respectful. He/she must be able to stay calm under pressure. In addition, the ideal candidate has the ability to establish positive relationships with the Seattle/Tacoma print and broadcast media.
City of Tacoma Library Recruitment One of the primary goals of the Equity and Empowerment Initiative is for the Library workforce to reflect the community it serves. We actively work to eliminate racial and other disparities and welcome candidates with diverse backgrounds and/or multicultural skill sets and experiences. Our goal is for Tacoma to be an inclusive and equitable place to live, work, and play.
BA degree in English, journalism, communications, allied field or equivalent four years experience in communications with interpersonal relations. Extensive work experience with the mass media is essential. Must have demonstrated ability and experience of previous public relations work.
Knowledge & Skills
- Lead the marketing effort for all library programs and services
- Develop, oversee and implement a content strategy for print, broadcast and social media; identify develop and pitch stories that result in positive media coverage; write and deliver news releases, talking points and bios; build new relationships and leverage existing ones with the regional media in a variety of channels
- Coordinate the collection of raw and impact data, compile information, and prepare reports and statistics related to library activities, special projects, goals and objectives; maintain various records concerning department activities and expenses
- Generate compelling written and visual social media content; coordinate social media messaging with the library's leadership team, post content and respond to inquiries and comments; measure social media influence and effectiveness
- Develop and maintain community partnerships; identify opportunities for key library staff to participate in community activities/events
- Coordinate efforts to obtain patron feedback on library services and facilitate citizen participation in library activities
- Develop, oversee and implement an internal communications programs to facilitate productive communication between management and staff
- Successfully collaborate with internal teams
- Assist in the preparation of speeches and coordinate the preparation of accompanying visual aids
- Develop an emergency communication plan, and respond to crises when needed Selection Process & Supplemental Information
Interested individuals must complete the online application and attach a detailed resume and cover letter that includes major responsibilities and accomplishments related to this position.
Supplemental questions will be scored and used to establish an eligible list. Appointment is subject to passing a background check.
This position is covered by a Labor Agreement between the Tacoma Public Library and Teamsters Local 117. An employee in this position will be required to join the union within 30 days of hire.
Communication from the City of Tacoma: We primarily communicate via email during the application process. Emails from cityoftacoma.org and/or governmentjobs.com must be placed on your safe domain list to ensure that you receive notifications in a timely manner. As a precaution, you may also want to check your junk email folders.
The online application system requires you to enter a substantial amount of information. Be prepared to spend at least an hour entering information. In order for your application materials to be considered, all information must be submitted by the closing date and time listed on this job announcement.
For assistance with the NEOGOV application process, or questions regarding this job announcement, call the Human Resources office at (253) 591.5400.
Salary: $75,233.59 - $91,811.20 Annually
Location: Tacoma, WA
Job Type: Classified
Job Number: 9054-18-LI
Closing: 5/7/2018 5:00 PM Pacific
Agency: City of Tacoma
Address: Human Resources Department 747 Market Street Tacoma, Washington, 98402-3764