City of Tacoma WA Experienced Police Officer (Lateral) in Tacoma, Washington
A Police Officer is responsible for crime prevention, criminal apprehension, and the general enforcement of laws and ordinances. This is general duty and investigatory police work involving the protection of life, property and preservation of the peace. Work involves an element of personal danger and employees must be able to act without direct supervision. Physical requirements include above-average physical endurance in running, climbing and lifting as well as good balance, hearing and vision.
- Must be currently employed as a Law Enforcement Officer
- Must have 12 or more months of continuous post-commissioned street patrol experience. The only exception is any Law Enforcement Officer, who was laid off due to budget or reduction-in-force issues. There may not be more than a 24-month break in service
- Non-patrol sworn officer experience, such as jail/corrections/court, or dispatch, does not count toward "street patrol experience" in calculating the total months of post-commissioned experience
- Must be a US Citizen
Must be a high school graduate or have a G.E.D. NOTE:Applicants who failed probation, were terminated, resigned in lieu of termination, are about to be terminated, or would not be considered for rehire by their former department or agency, are not eligible for a lateral position. Knowledge & Skills
Understanding of the principals, practices and procedures used in police work
- Up-to-date knowledge of State, County and City laws and ordinances, recent legislation and court decisions affecting police duties
- Geography of the city
- Traffic and crowd control techniques
- Operation of a variety of specialized police vehicles and equipment
- Crime scene preservation and investigation methods and techniques
- Preparing clear and concise electronic reports
- Exercising independent judgment when responding to emergencies
- Ability to multi-task
- Correct usage of English; grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary Physical requirements will adhere to the Tacoma Police Officer job classification specification. Selection Process & Supplemental Information
Applicants must pass a Physical Fitness Ability Test (PAT) to remain on the eligibility list and proceed further in the selection process. The PAT will consist of a minimum of 5 push-ups, 14 Sit-ups, and completion of a 1 ½ mile run in 17.55 minutes.
Applicants must pass all phases both before and after the eligibility list is established, including driving record, credit history, conviction/arrest record, work history, reference check, oral board interview and polygraph examination.
Applicants may be removed from the eligible list for failure to pass the pre-employment interview, background investigation or any other screening element. Once a conditional offer of employment is made, all applicants must undergo a medical examination and psychological evaluation to determine if they meet the Tacoma Police Department standards in effect at the time of examination. The medical examination will include a drug screening.
Please note, the lateral hiring process can take between three and six months.
This position is covered by a Labor Agreement between the City of Tacoma and Local 6 Tacoma Police Union IUPA. Questions regarding this announcement may be directed to the Human Resources Department at 253.591.5400.
Possession of a Washington State Driver's License is required at time of appointment with maintenance thereafter. In addition, possession of a valid First Aid card and CPR card with maintenance thereafter are required prior to the end of the probationary period. An employee must successfully complete a twelve-month probationary period prior to obtaining permanent status in this classification.
Salary: $31.10 - $42.98 Hourly
Location: Tacoma, WA
Job Type: Classified
Department: Tacoma Police Department
Job Number: 4202-18A
Agency: City of Tacoma
Address: Human Resources Department 747 Market Street Tacoma, Washington, 98402-3764