City of Tacoma WA Engineer, Water Distribution Engineering in Tacoma, Washington
Tacoma WaterDistribution Engineering is seeking an Engineer to join our team of engineers and professional technical staff. This position will be responsible for the design and management of distribution water main replacement projects located throughout Tacoma Water's service area.
This position will prepare and/or direct the preparation of technical specifications, drawings, engineering calculations and cost estimation. This position is responsible for scheduling and coordinating multiple water main replacement projects such as street overlays, street improvements and utility projects administered by project partners and jurisdictions. The position will also coordinate water main replacements with long range work such as found in the City of Tacoma sub-area plans and municipal transportation plans. The position will serve on and/or lead Strategic Asset Management Plan (SAMP) Teams for distribution system assets (including but not limited to meters, services, hydrants, mains, and valves).
Candidates with a Washington State Professional Engineer License will be expected to seal (stamp), plans, reports and bid documents for a wide variety of complex distribution water main replacement projects.
THE COMMUNITY _Tacoma is a mid-sized urban port city that sits along the Puget Sound with a population of nearly 210,000. The third largest city in the state of Washington, it is a diverse, progressive international gateway to the Pacific Rim.
Propelled by significant development such as the University of Washington Tacoma, the Tacoma Link light rail system, the restored urban waterfront of the Thea Foss Waterway, the expansions of both the MultiCare and Franciscan health systems, and a significant influx of foreign direct investment in its downtown core, Tacoma has evolved considerably since the 1990s.
Tacoma boasts the state's highest density of art and history museums, and is home to a flourishing creative community of writers, artists, musicians, photographers, filmmakers, chefs, entrepreneurs, and small business owners who each add their unique flair to the city's vibrant commercial landscape. The iconic Tacoma Dome has endured as a high-demand venue for some of the largest names in the entertainment industry.
A magnet for families looking for affordable housing options in the Puget Sound area, Tacoma also draws those who prefer to live in a more urban downtown setting with competitively priced condos and apartments that feature panoramic mountain and water views.
Tacoma's natural beauty and proximity to the Puget Sound and Mount Rainier draws hikers, runners, bicyclists, and maritime enthusiasts to the area. Its lively social scene is infused with energy by thousands of students attending the University of Washington Tacoma, the University of Puget Sound, the Evergreen State College Tacoma campus, and Tacoma Community College, as well as a number of local trade and technical colleges. Its prime location – just 20 minutes south of the Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, 30 miles north of the state capital in Olympia, and within 10 miles of the U.S. Department of Defense's premier military installation on the West Coast – only adds to Tacoma's desirability. To see a few of the great things Tacoma has to offer, view this YouTube Video!_
City of Tacoma Recruitment One of the primary goals of the Equity and Empowerment Initiative is for the City of Tacoma workforce to reflect the community it serves. We actively work to eliminate racial and other disparities and welcome candidates with diverse backgrounds and/or multicultural skill sets and experiences. Our goal is for Tacoma to be an inclusive and equitable place to live, work, and play.
- Four-year degree from an accredited college or university in civil or mechanical engineering or a related engineering field;
- 2+ years of experience as an engineer designing, coordinating and managing municipal utility construction projects;
- Professional Engineering (PE) license from the State of Washington in the field of Civil Engineering or PE in a state with reciprocity desired. Knowledge & Skills
- Complex engineering and design theories and principles, including water, hydraulics, and piping.
- Complex science theories and principles, including water chemistry and biological and physical sciences
- All other applicable laws, regulations, codes, policies, procedures, and engineering standard practices and principals
- Principles and practices of project management and leadership
- Principles of cost estimation, schedule control and contract administration
- Computer applications related to the work, including advanced Excel concepts, basic concepts for other Microsoft products (Word, Access, Visio, Project, PowerPoint), basic GIS/AutoCAD concepts, and other applications
Development of Business Case Evaluation (BCE) Skilled in:
Communicating effectively with project partners, co-workers, the general public and regulatory officials
- Writing technical reports and memorandums
- Reviewing and preparing engineering drawings, specifications, estimates, and calculations
- Understanding and interpreting regulatory requirements and preparing documentation and submittals to provide to regulating agencies
- Developing and administering contracts for supplies, professional services, and construction work
- Conducting research and using industry resources to better understand complex issues and to identify alternatives for resolution of problems
- Understanding and applying engineering principles to resolve complex problems
- Managing multiple tasks, often with competing deadlines
- Preparing and reviewing budgets and cost estimates
Effectively representing Distribution Engineering with project parties, and all other internal and outside contacts Ability to:
Perform quality work on-time and achieve excellent results with minimum need for oversight, making timely decisions even under ambiguous circumstances or when data are limited
- Read, interpret, and apply rules, regulations, standards, policies, and procedures
- Adapt easily to changing needs, conditions, and work responsibilities and adapt approach, goals, and methods to achieve successful solutions and results in dynamic situations
- Appropriately plan, organize, prioritize, and concurrently complete multiple project assignments integrating many factors into decisions and ensuring an accurate, high-quality end product
- Collect and use data and information in a clear and rational thought process to assess and understand issues, evaluate options, form accurate conclusions, and make sound decisions
- Effectively convey ideas and information, orally or in writing, using language that is appropriate to both the complexity of the topic and the knowledge and understanding of the audience
- Actively partner with co-workers to provide them with information, techniques, instruction, feedback, and encouragement
- Critically observe and inspect structures, equipment, and environmental conditions to collect information and take actions that satisfy diverse interests and contribute effectively to organizational goals
- Demonstrate an ongoing commitment to learning and self-improvement
- Speak at public meetings, or other forums to discuss project activities, policies and results Selection Process & Supplemental Information
Interested individuals should complete the online application and attach a detailed resume and cover letterthat includes major responsibilities and accomplishments related to this position. Applicants who have the strongest backgrounds related to the responsibilities of this position may be invited to participate in an interview. Appointment is subject to passing a background check.
If you have any additional questions regarding this position, please contact the Human Resources Department at 253.591.5400 before the closing date.
Salary: $79,518.40 - $115,294.40 Annually
Location: Tacoma, WA
Job Type: Non-Classified
Job Number: 2082-18A
Closing: 4/27/2018 5:00 PM Pacific
Agency: City of Tacoma
Address: Human Resources Department 747 Market Street Tacoma, Washington, 98402-3764