City of Tacoma WA Energy Conservation Engineering Manager in Tacoma, Washington
Tacoma Power's Customer Energy Programs division is seeking a Power Engineer IV to lead and supervise a team of engineers by providing technical review and oversight of commercial-industrial (C/I) related energy conservation projects and programs. This person also researches, develops and implements complex C/I conservation programs and projects with customers.
- Review and approval of C/I engineering projects, ensuring compliance with all technical requirements, policies and procedures
- Leading a team of three senior engineers, assigning tasks and mentoring staff to ensure quality analytical work, overall competence, responsibility, and collaboration
- Approving and preparing technical specifications, engineering calculations and plans for C/I conservation projects
- Evaluating the energy performance of installed conservation projects including detailed measurement & verification
- Researching and analyzing data and technical information related to complex equipment including HVAC and industrial process systems
- Providing technical support to management and other internal groups
- Administering contracts with various customers and coordinating with consultants, contractors, developers and suppliers
- Serving as a liaison with local, regional and national energy efficiency organizations and trade allies
- Conducting building and facility surveys, life cycle cost analyses, and other duties as assigned
The Power Engineer IV serves a critical role in ensuring that energy savings and energy-related analytical efforts are thoroughly vetted.
To flourish at Tacoma Power, candidates should prefer to work in a cooperative, team-oriented environment in which staff support one another, demonstrate good character, and welcome new solutions to complex challenges. This position reports to the C/I Conservation Manager and requires leadership skills that foster a culture of engaged employees who value continuous learning and improvement. The person in this position will interact frequently with a variety of C/I customers ranging from small businesses to our largest institutional and industrial customers.
_Tacoma is a mid-sized urban port city that sits along the Puget Sound with a population of nearly 210,000. The third largest city in the state of Washington, it is a diverse, progressive international gateway to the Pacific Rim.
Propelled by significant development such as the University of Washington Tacoma, the Tacoma Link light rail system, the restored urban waterfront of the Thea Foss Waterway, the expansions of both the MultiCare and Franciscan health systems, and a significant influx of foreign direct investment in its downtown core, Tacoma has evolved considerably since the 1990s.
Tacoma boasts the state's highest density of art and history museums, and is home to a flourishing creative community of writers, artists, musicians, photographers, filmmakers, chefs, entrepreneurs, and small business owners who each add their unique flair to the city's vibrant commercial landscape. The iconic Tacoma Dome has endured as a high-demand venue for some of the largest names in the entertainment industry.
A magnet for families looking for affordable housing options in the Puget Sound area, Tacoma also draws those who prefer to live in a more urban downtown setting with competitively priced condos and apartments that feature panoramic mountain and water views.
Tacoma's natural beauty and proximity to the Puget Sound and Mount Rainier draws hikers, runners, bicyclists, and maritime enthusiasts to the area. Its lively social scene is infused with energy by thousands of students attending the University of Washington Tacoma, the University of Puget Sound, the Evergreen State College Tacoma campus, and Tacoma Community College, as well as a number of local trade and technical colleges. Its prime location – just 20 minutes south of the Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, 30 miles north of the state capital in Olympia, and within 10 miles of the U.S. Department of Defense's premier military installation on the West Coast – only adds to Tacoma's desirability. To see a few of the great things Tacoma has to offer, view this YouTube Video!_
City of Tacoma Recruitment One of the primary goals of the Equity and Empowerment Initiative is for the City of Tacoma workforce to reflect the community it serves. We actively work to eliminate racial and other disparities and welcome candidates with diverse backgrounds and/or multicultural skill sets and experiences. Our goal is for Tacoma to be an inclusive and equitable place to live, work, and play. Qualifications
Minimum requirements include:
- A bachelor's degree in engineering (mechanical or electrical preferred) or related technical field
- Seven or more years of work experience in utility, conservation, energy or related industry
- Previous supervisory, management or team leadership experience
In addition, a Professional Engineering (PE) License is highly preferred.
Ideal candidates will also demonstrate:
- Strong customer service skills
- Effective communication skills, both written and verbal
- Strong project management skills Selection Process & Supplemental Information
Interested individuals should apply online and attacha detailed resume and cover letter that includes job experience, major responsibilities and accomplishments related to this position.
The first review of applications will be the week of October 8, 2018.
Applicants whose backgrounds most closely reflect the current needs of the department may be invited to participate in an interview. Reference checks will be conducted on final candidates and appointment is subject to passing a background check.
Communication from the City of Tacoma: We primarily communicate via e-mail during the application process. E-mails from cityoftacoma.org and/or governmentjobs.com must be placed on your safe domain list to ensure that you receive notifications in a timely manner. As a precaution, you may also want to check your junk e-mail folders.
If you have any additional questions regarding this position, please contact the Human Resources Department at 253.591.5400.
Salary: $111,654.40 - $143,166.41 Annually
Location: Tacoma, WA
Job Type: Non-Classified
Job Number: 2134-18A
Agency: City of Tacoma
Address: Human Resources Department 747 Market Street Tacoma, Washington, 98402-3764