City of Tacoma WA Electrical Worker in Tacoma, Washington
Tacoma Public Utilities is seeking an electrical worker to perform semi-skilled work assisting journey-level electrical personnel in construction, repair and maintenance of the electrical utility system and other electrical services.
- Assist journey-level employees in the operation of line clearance equipment.
- Use ropes, blocks, shovels, wrenches, rules, pliers, saws, hammers, pike poles and other specialized electrical tools; clean and assist in maintenance of electrical tools and equipment.
- Operate air compressor, electric drill, drill press, pipe threaders, jack hammers, chain saws and other power-driven and hand-operated mechanical and electrical tools.
- Maintain a running inventory of material on trucks and stock necessary items according to established procedures.
- Act as safety observer protecting employees and the public from unsafe conditions as assigned; monitor truck radio and implement emergency procedures for radio use as appropriate.
- Set out and maintain proper traffic control devices including signs, traffic cones and barricades; perform traffic flagging as required.
- Set up and prepare special presses, cutters and other hydraulic or power tools for use by journey-level workers.
- Operate, fuel and inspect for safety various types of trucks and boom-type manlift equipment.
City of Tacoma Recruitment Information: One of the primary goals of the City of Tacoma Equity and Empowerment Initiative is that the City of Tacoma workforce reflects the community it serves. We actively work to eliminate racial and other disparities and we welcome candidates with diverse and/or multicultural skill sets and personal experiences. Our goal is for Tacoma to be an inclusive and equitable place to live, work, and play. Qualifications
- Graduation from high school (G.E.D) or vocational school;
1 year experience involving semi-skilled electrical, electronic or mechanical work. LICENSES, CERTIFICATES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
Valid Driver's License at time of appointment and maintenance thereafter;
- Ability to obtain Commercial Driver's License with Class A endorsement;
- In addition, flagging, CPR, first-aid and forklift training and certificates are required prior to completion of the probationary period with maintenance thereafter;
Requires heavy lifting, climbing and working from ladders, climbing stairs, fast reflexes, good eyesight, bending, stretching and standing. Knowledge & Skills
Methods, materials and tools used in electrical construction and maintenance work.
- Electrical theory as applied to electrical and electronic circuits and wire systems.
- Learn a wide variety of skills and tasks required in electrical and electronic construction and maintenance work, including climbing poles and working at heights with high tension wires.
- Learn and observe proper safety precautions.
- Use ropes, blocks, shovels, wrenches, rules, pliers, saws, hammers, pike poles and other specialize electrical tools; clean and assist in maintenance of electrical tools and equipment.
- Operate air compressor, electric drill, drill press, pipe threaders, jackhammers and other power-driven and hand-operated mechanical and electrical tools.
- Understand and follow oral and written directions.
- Learn to interpret, apply and explain codes, rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Lift heavy objects in awkward and confined spaces, using proper lifting and rigging techniques.
- Maintain simple records.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
- Perform minor maintenance using a variety of tools and machines utilized in the basic trade.
- Observe legal and defensive driving practices.
- Perform heavy manual labor. Selection Process & Supplemental Information
Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will have their responses to the supplemental questions scored by an evaluation committee. Supplemental questions will be scored on the basis of information provided. It is the responsibility of the applicant to list all pertinent experience and training. Applicants must pass the examination process to be placed on the eligible list for interview and hiring consideration.
Appointment is subject to passing a background check and a pre-employment medical exam and drug screen. This position is covered by a Labor Agreement between the City of Tacoma and Local 483. New employees must successfully complete a nine-month probationary period prior to obtaining permanent status in this classification.
Questions regarding this announcement may be directed to the Human Resources Department at 253.591.5400.
Salary: $28.17 - $32.61 Hourly
Location: Tacoma, WA
Job Type: Classified
Job Number: 5240-18
Closing: 7/27/2018 5:00 PM Pacific
Agency: City of Tacoma
Address: Human Resources Department 747 Market Street Tacoma, Washington, 98402-3764