City of Tacoma WA Asphalt Plant Operator in Tacoma, Washington
The City of Tacoma Public Works Department, Street Operations Division, is recruiting to establish an Eligible List for the position of Asphalt Plant Operator.
Under the direction of the Asphalt Plant Crew Leader, assist in the day-to-day activities of the asphalt batch plant, including: operate, service, inspect and maintain plant equipment and related facilities.
City of Tacoma Recruitment Information: One of the primary goals of the City of Tacoma Equity and Empowerment Initiative is that the City of Tacoma workforce reflects the community it serves. We actively work to eliminate racial and other disparities and we welcome candidates with diverse and/or multicultural skill sets and personal experiences. Our goal is for Tacoma to be an inclusive and equitable place to live, work and play.
An equivalent combination to: graduation from high school and one year of experience performing street maintenance work, including the repair of asphalt pavement.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS Possession of a valid Washington State Class A Commercial Driver's License with Tanker Endorsement and Air Brake restrictions removed at time of appointment and maintenance thereafter.
Must obtain and keep current a Loading Certification from oil distributors under contract with City Asphalt Plant to load liquid asphalt.
Must obtain a valid flagging and traffic control card, first aid and CPR card, and Forklift certification prior to probation completion with maintenance thereafter.
Knowledge & Skills
- Asphalt aggregates and mixtures and their physical properties.
- Tools and equipment used in operating and maintaining asphalt plant equipment.
- Applicable safety procedures.
- Requirements of maintaining asphalt buildings and grounds in a safe, clean and orderly condition.
- Record-keeping techniques.
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
- Accurately evaluate condition of materials and equipment and take appropriate action to avoid stoppages.
- Lift objects weighing up to 100 pounds.
- Perform cleaning and maintenance activities utilizing a variety of tools and machines.
- Maintain related records.
- Operate asphalt plant equipment and machinery.
- Operate trucks and other vehicles as needed.
- Observe legal and defensive driving practices.
- Understand and follow oral and written directions.
- Provide assistance and work direction to others.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others. Selection Process & Supplemental Information
Interested individuals must apply online and meet the minimum qualifications to progress in the examination process.
Applicants will have their responses scored by an evaluation committee. Each applicant's questionnaire will be evaluated on the basis of information provided; the evaluation committee will not have access to the application form. It is the responsibility of the applicant to carefully and thoroughly detail all pertinent experience and training on the questionnaire.
Evaluations will scored based on an experience and training portion along with an oral exam. The experience and training will be weighted at 25% and the oral exam will be weighted at 75%. Candidates must pass both portions in order to be placed on the eligible list for interviewing and hiring consideration.
Failure to follow all instructions provided may result in disqualification. To expedite our process, we prefer e-mail for all communication, unless you do not have an e-mail account. If you do not have an e-mail account, please notify us when you apply at 253.591.5400.
Appointment is subject to passing a background check and pre-employment physical including a drug and alcohol screen.
This position is covered by a Labor Agreement between the City of Tacoma and Local 117. New employees must successfully complete a nine-month probationary period prior to obtaining permanent status in this classification.
Questions regarding this announcement may be directed to the Human Resources Department at 253.591.5400 before the closing date.
Salary: $29.54 - $32.55 Hourly
Location: Tacoma, WA
Job Type: Classified
Department: Public Works
Job Number: 5015-18
Closing: 1/22/2019 5:00 PM Pacific
Agency: City of Tacoma
Address: Human Resources Department 747 Market Street Tacoma, Washington, 98402-3764