National Grid Principal Cyber Security and Compliance Analyst in Syracuse, New York
National Grid is hiring a Principal Analyst, Cyber Security and Compliance for our Protection Policy and Support department in Syracuse, NY.
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The
pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
National Grid seeks a Principal Cyber Security and Compliance Analyst for the Protection, Policy, and Support Engineering department. The primary areas of responsibility will be to ensure compliance for regulatory requirements in power system protection schemes and the NERC Critical Infrastructure Protection (CIP) program. In this role you will maintain regulatory compliance based on set intervals, develop procedures and reports to ensure compliance, update design standards, procedures and work practices. Provide support to operations and engineering functions. The Principal Analyst will work with a cross-functional team to support the development of cyber security practices for operational technology (OT).
• Monitor and review North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC) Critical Infrastructure Protection (CIP) requirements for compliance
• Develop and Support Cyber Security practices for Operational Technology
• Develop and update operational policies, and standards as required
• Review protection equipment manufacturer firmware releases for security related updates
• Develop procedures for security patches and firmware updates to protection systems
• Perform Cyber Vulnerability evaluations of protective relay equipment and systems.
• Implement and manage access controls for cyber assets
• Develop training for Engineering and Field personnel for NERC CIP requirements and updates
• Represent Protection Control & Telecom Engineering in NERC CIP Audits
• Provide technical support to engineering and field personnel.
• Assist in the review of Northeast Power Coordinating Council (NPCC) and North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC) requirements for Critical Infrastructure Protection and Protection Systems. Ensure requirements are adequately addressed in Procedures and Standards to demonstrate compliance
• Responsible for the support of NERC CIP support activities Examples include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Quarterly access reviews
2. Annual password change control and review
3. Disaster Recovery Testing and reporting
4. BES Cyber Asset List updates
5. Review and update Substation Electronic Security Perimeter drawings
6. Password Policy reviews
7. Develop compliance reports as required Respond to Change Control Questions
8. Maintain, update and perform simple troubleshooting of BES Cyber Asset access controls
- Design Standards, Procedures and Work Practices
• Analyze, create, and ensure there are common Protection Engineering and Operations policies, procedures, and practices across the National Grid Transmission and Distribution System.
• Develop, review and support the implementation of system protection design standards and asset health strategies in consultation with the Protection Engineering, Control & Integration Engineering, Substation Engineering and Design, Transmission Planning, Distribution Planning, and the Relay Testing and Commissioning groups.
• Represent the company on industry committees and participate in the formulation of industry-wide standards and practices as required.
• Support Engineering Design of protection systems as Cyber Security subject matter expert.
Supervisory/Interpersonal- Experience Required
Exceptional and demonstrated customer service and communication skills (verbal and written).
Proven ability to work in a team environment.
• B.S. in Electrical and/or Computer Engineering, or Computer Science degree from an ABET accredited college or university.
• A minimum of five (5) years of technical experience with employment in technical work at a professional level is preferred.
• Demonstrated ability to plan, direct, and execute technical work with a minimum amount of guidance and supervision.
• Knowledge of Protection and Controls philosophy and design is desirable.
• Knowledge of layer 2 networks and information systems is a desirable.
• CISSP; Certified Information Systems Security Professional certification a plus
• Knowledge of SharePoint and InfoPath is a plus
• This position will support both NE and Upstate NY. Travel will be expected between the two areas as needed.
Valid driver's license required.
• You may be required to provide off hours support.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.