National Grid Policy Manager, Customer Energy Management in Syracuse, New York
National Grid is hiring a Policy Manager, Customer Energy Management Group - NY for our Customer Organization in Syracuse, NY.
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
The Manager role will lead the development and compliance of policy related to the energy efficiency, demand response and electrification of heat efforts in the residential, commercial, and low/moderate income sectors for New York Customer Energy Management (CEM). The Manager will lead a team of Policy Analysts responsible for leading the regulatory (strategy, analysis, budgeting, planning and reporting) and compliance efforts for CEM, supporting success for executing on priorities pilots and innovative products to contribute to growth of product line to achieve gas and electric system benefits, EAM targets, New Efficiency New York (NE:NY) ambitions, and climate goals.
Responsibilities (including, but not limited to):
• Provides leadership of the Policy team to achieve energy efficiency targets, demand management and climate change objectives throughout the company to advance National Grid’s position as a leader in these fields.
• Guides team developing and implementing regulatory policy and strategy regarding gas and electric efficiency programs, demand response, and electrification of heat efforts in consultation with Legal, Regulatory Strategy, Corporate strategy and develop regulatory compliance filings and initiatives to support National Grids proposals, with emphasis on using DSM for system needs, customer trust and ease, environmental justice considerations, climate goal considerations, etc.
• Supports the analysis and position development on regulatory and legislative issues and may be called upon to testify before state legislative and regulatory bodies to support National Grid’s energy policy and energy efficiency, demand reduction and climate change programs.
• Management of the budgets, regulatory reporting, project plans and compliance filings related to the energy efficiency plans, demand response efforts, and ad hoc filings to support the CEM team. Will lead CEM coordination for Rate Cases, DSIP filings, and 15 year plans.
• Communicate with internal business partners and stakeholders with respect to regulatory documents, filings, regulatory approvals and coordinate compliance for reporting, evaluation, and policy objectives.
• Research and analyze key themes options through the analysis of various programmatic and technology-based options to identify how different scenarios may impact energy efficiency program results and to develop individual state energy policy, such as use of EE and electrification for system needs, meeting environmental justice goals, meeting climate goals, etc.
• Ensure Policy team is up to date on CEM filings and initiatives of National Grid’s other jurisdictions, as well as filings made by other utilities in New York State. Ensure communication of policy intelligence to entire CEM NY Team.
• Ensure Policy Team tracks, participates in and communicates to the CEM NY Team regarding important Public Service Commission proceedings (ie Data Proceeding, Natural Gas Planning Proceeding, DLM Proceeding, etc.)
• Manage key external relationships (NY State Public Service Commission, DPS Staff, NYSERDA, NYPA, NY Joint Utilities, other energy efficiency program administrators) to increase business opportunities with new and existing customers.
• Ensure Policy team has relevant objectives and career development plan goals; conduct frequent one on one meetings with team members, as well as quarterly performance reviews. Support team members to excel in their positions and advance their career goals. Ensure necessary cross-training and staff contingency planning is in place for the team.
• Bachelor's degree in a business, social science, or engineering related area and 7+ years of related work experience. Advanced degree/credits are preferred.
• Knowledge of the electric and gas industry; innovative efficiency program planning, design, implementation and evaluation, local and national energy policy.
• Regulatory experience, including managing regulatory processes or contributing to regulatory filings.
• 5+ years of energy efficiency evaluation or energy industry related analytical and/or regulatory work.
• Proficient in relevant software e.g. Microsoft Office products (Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
• Demonstrated financial acumen including strong knowledge of corporate earnings and deeper financial opportunities
• Valid Driver's license
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.