National Grid Lead Buyer in Syracuse, New York
This position is located in Syracuse, NY
At National Grid we are committed to delivering safe and reliable energy to the customers and communities we serve. We are one of the largest investor-owned energy companies in the world. We are proud of the contributions our work and our people make to the prosperity and wellbeing of our customers, communities and investors.
We are currently looking for highly motivated individuals who want to join a dynamic and fast paced organization going through a major transformation. If you are someone who’s looking to bring innovation, contribute ideas and play a part in renewing the global procurement organization we want to hear from you!
The Lead Strategic Sourcing Specialist is responsible for leading and supporting National Grid’s category strategy and sourcing activities within US Procurement. Demonstrated expertise in the following; category management, supplier relationship management, commercial negotiations, procurement process management and improvement, systems and analytics, market supplier development and a clear, working knowledge of current industry trends.
U.S. Procurement is structured strategically into 4 category teams; Electric Distribution, Gas Distribution and Transmission, Wholesale Networks & Indirects. Specific teams within U.S. Procurement looking for Leads include: Construction Services (Electric & Gas) & Materials (Electric & Gas)
• Subject Matter Expert with Category Management & Strategic Sourcing with a desire and ability to coach and teach Procurement staff and stakeholders in a consulting role
• Engage with Stakeholders to establish clear business needs, apply forward thinking skills to set near and long term E2E category strategies and a roadmap to continuous improvements and benefits
• Lead development of category strategies representing the requirements of our business plans and commitments made to regulators and customers
• Execute strategic and complex sourcing activities utilizing various market approach tools; RFX, e-sourcing, reverse auction or consortiums
• Utilize varied and complex data sets to identify new opportunities to drive benefits through the contracts E2E lifecycle
• Evaluate and apply the concept of total cost of ownership (TCO) and supplier and contract switching costs to support decision making options
• Manage the forecast and delivery of category savings targets in support of team and Procurement commitments and goals
• Solid understanding of contract conditions and ability to craft and negotiate terms with legal and stakeholder input
• Establishes structured negotiation plans in support of company needs with clarity of desired outcomes
• Understanding of supplier’s position, desired outcomes, and leverage points
• Able to involve stakeholders in negotiation preparations and events
• Provide support to team members in development of negotiation strategies
Supplier Relationship Management
• Identifies critical suppliers and creates appropriate engagement plans to ensure our Supply Chain risk profile and inputs to continuous improvement are proactively managed
• Actively focused on maximizing supplier capabilities to drive efficiencies into our operations
• Demonstrates a collaborative approach with supply base and develops integrated plan to drive appropriate value for business and customer requirements
• Able to build appropriate supplier performance measurements (KPIs) into contractual frameworks
• Holds suppliers to account for delivery using performance data and strategic business reviews
• Ensures supply chain is compliant to company and regulatory requirements in environmental, sustainability and labor practices
Market and Supplier Development
• Understanding of criteria for alternative country sourcing, associated risks and how its’ supply chain can contribute to our business needs
• Contribute to business case development to support alternate country sourcing initiatives
Procurement Process Management and Improvement
• Drive continuous improvement using lean techniques to identify and eliminate waste in the extended E2E Supply Chain
Systems and Analytics
Demonstrates ability in working with multiple ERP systems: SAP, Ariba, Tableau
Understands how to analyze large data sets and extract information for strategic decision making
Bachelor’s degree (B.A or B.S) required; in supply chain, finance or business management preferred. C.P.S.M or equivalent certifications preferred. MBA, MS preferred.
Preferred seven years’+ experience in strategic sourcing, contract negotiations and vendor management. Strong working knowledge of SAP & Ariba systems required.
Successful completion of professional negotiation coursework preferred
Six Sigma Green Belt or PEx equivalent preferred
An equivalent combination of education and extensive subject matter expertise along with procurement process experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education requirements listed above.
The candidate must have strong interpersonal skills, specifically in communications across a multi-national and matrixed organization. Additionally, the candidate should be proficient in planning, collaboration, and analysis.
This position is one of National Grid’s career path roles which provide for promotional opportunities within and across salary bands as you develop and evolve in the position by gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.