National Grid Engineer, Asset Management in Syracuse, New York
_About the Position:_
Develop strategies and implementation plans for all meter capital infrastructure improvements to accommodate growth, asset replacement and grid modernization which meet customer service quality expectations in accordance in an economicmanner that optimizes the use of existing systems and minimizes environmental concerns.
The position is integral to the development of the five year work plan and fifteen-year Strategic Asset Management Plan and shall sponsor the sanctioning of meter projects within each jurisdiction.
_Position Responsibilities (including but not limited to):_
· Annually assess the meter needs of each operating company and develops capital plans in support of the annual budgeting process and corporate strategic planning
· Respond promptly to customer service requests, distributed generation reviews, and reactive operational reviews as they develop.
· Independently collate and analyze data using department specific tools, methods and formats in order to resolve complex problems.
· Develop conceptual project plans that if implemented economically address identified system needs.
· Participate in project design reviews and act as the project team lead for assigned projects
· Present and defend project recommendations for executive approval of both technical merit and financial impact.
· Effectively form project teams of internal and external stakeholders for the development of project plans.
· Conduct site inspections, as necessary, to evaluate meter strategies. Travel will be required
· Ensure asset data is captured correctly in the appropriate asset registers.
· Analyze policies, strategies and programs that are in progress or completed to determine their effectiveness versus stated goals.
· Recommend alternative engineering solutions to management to meet business needs
· Deliver on commitments and manage contract engineering services, as necessary, to accomplish assigned work
· Sanction capital meter projects in each jurisdiction.
· Monitor project timeliness and budgets.
· Provide technical support to internal and external departments for the application, operation, and maintenance of the electric transmission and distribution system.
· Evaluate and recommend new meter equipment and technologies.
· Resolve technical issues.
· Conduct specific projects within area of capability and perform engineering studies, analysis and investigations, under supervision, in order to recommend corrective action in problem areas, or to prevent problems.
· Independently collate and analyze data within one area using pre-determined tools, methods and formats in order to support the department’s decision making process.
· Test and challenge existing procedures and highlight areas for improvement in order to ensure they are robust.
· Develop relationships with internal and external stakeholders in order to obtain and share information that will benefit National Grid.
· Act as a lead expert in the work group; train and mentor associate and career level engineers, technicians and drafters.
· Lead the implementation of engineering design for a specific area through the management of an engineering team and in consultation with other groups within the area in order to ensure design is fit for purpose and benefits National Grid operations.//
· Make authoritativetechnicalrecommendations in order to provide design solutions which have a significant impact on business performance in the short and longer term.
· Lead, motivate and develop a professional team of engineering staff, prioritize work and allocate resources in order to ensure results are delivered in line with expectations and customer needs.
· Develop processes and review policies relating engineering systems/processes in order to ensure they are in line with strategic business objectives and meet the needs of customers and regulators.
· Proactively build and maintain internal and external networks in order to penetrate absorb and apply technical best practice to the engineering discipline.
· Develop process and policy specifications and criteria and options and evaluate those options to support senior management decision-making in the relevant field.
· Work with business units to translate objectives into well-defined requirements with clearly defined business cases in order to support change and innovation within National Grid.
_Knowledge and Experience Required_
· A Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Technology from an ABET accredited engineering school/__/
· Expert knowledge of utility metering systems and practices./__/
· Knowledge of relevant industry practice, standards and legislation. Knowledge of current trends within the industry and developments in legislation or regulation.
· Knowledge of National Grid's business operations, company policies and practices. Knowledge of division policies, processes and fields of work.
· Strong organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously.__
· Proficient MS Office (Access, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Word, etc.).__
· Analytical Thinking: Sees multiple relationships, identifying several likely causes or consequences of a situation, for example inproviding design solutions which have a significant impact on business performance.
· Information Seeking: Establishes the facts by digging deeper, asking probing questions and challenging initial responses from different sources.
· Impact and Influence: Adapts approach and considers what is important to the audience by tailoring message accordingly.
· Leveraging Networks: Actively builds and maintains a network of relationships, outside normal business contacts.
· Team Leadership: Promotes team effectiveness by soliciting input from team members, communicating expectations of the team and delegating responsibilities while providing support and structure.
This position is one of National Grid’s career path roles which provide for promotional opportunities within and across salary bands as you develop and evolve in the position by gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills.
/National Grid is an equal opportunity employer thatvaluesa broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture ofinclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to bean affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team./
Job: *Asset Management
Title: Engineer, Asset Management
Requisition ID: 20182899