Ameren Operations Support Engineer in St. Louis, Missouri
If end date is listed, the posting will come down at 12:00 am on that date:
About The Position
The Operations Support Engineer is responsible for assisting the Transmission Operations Supervisor (TOS) in directing overall Major Electric Transmission System Operations for the purpose of maintaining overall system integrity and economy in the safe operation of the major transmission system, in accordance with Ameren, FERC, and NERC Standards, Policies, Procedures, and Regulations.
Key responsibilities include:
● Operate the equipment under the Jurisdictional and Functional Control of Transmission Operations.
● When necessary, perform the duties of Ameren’s System Operator with the responsibility and authority to implement real-time actions that ensure the safe, stable and reliable operation of the Bulk Electric System.
● Direct or review all transmission switching, including special switching techniques for EHV switching, protection of system load and generation, and allocation of switching between the Transmission Dispatchers.
● Oversee the issue and release of Worker’s Protection Assurances.
● Coordinate Company operations with adjacent “Entities Responsible for the Reliability of the Interconnected System (ERRIS)", NERC, Regional Reliability Entities such as SERC, and Ameren’s Reliability Coordinator (MISO).
● Schedule short term equipment outages and determine restoration procedures to be utilized with regard to system capacity needs, and overall system efficiency.
● Perform technical system studies which may involve digital computers, load flow analysis, and other system analysis tools.
● Evaluate system alarms and events to identify and notify the TOS.
● Identify issues or alarms that require expert analysis from other company personnel (System Relay Services, Transmission Maintenance, and Substation Maintenance) and utilize these experts, whether during regular or off hours. Coordinate responses to make determination of best course of action to maintain system reliability, while maintaining public and employee safety.
● Monitor the Energy Management System / Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition system (EMS/SCADA) for proper operation.
● Under emergency conditions, adhere to the policies and procedures in the Ameren Operating Manual as affirmed by the “Ameren Corporation Authority to Shed Load” document.
● Working conditions include rotating day shift work in office. On call 24x7 for emergency operations - extended hours may be required based upon operating needs and emergency response.
Bachelor’s degree in engineering from an accredited University is required, electrical preferred. Five or more years of relevant utility experience required (e.g. utility engineering, transmission or distribution operations, load/system analysis, energy markets, etc.).
In addition to the above qualifications, the successful candidate will demonstrate:
Ability to work on complex projects. Familiarity with work scheduling techniques and software systems. Excellent oral and written communications skills and computer skills required. Ability to work effectively with conflicting priorities and stressful situations in a team-oriented environment required. Must maintain competency in NERC Standards and must pass NERC System Operator Certification within six months. Maintain knowledge of generation methods and equipment and transmission systems/equipment and act accordingly. Maintain knowledge of MISO (Midcontinent ISO) operational reliability practices and SERC (NERC regional reliability entity) supplements and their respective policies and act accordingly. Have a working knowledge of MISO’s real- time and next day energy markets and market related operations and the Transmission Operations Supervisor role and impact there on. Possess knowledge of interconnected system operations, emergency operations, restoration procedures, generation methods, operating reserve requirements, voltage and VAR control and power flows. Demonstrated ability to use computers and analytical methods to analyze various operational problems. Must pass NERC Cyber Security Background check. NERC Certified System Operator credentials, preferred. Knowledge of EMS / SCADA and or industrial control systems and processes. Competency in Transmission specific computer applications.
Ameren’s selection process includes a series of interviews and may include a leadership assessment process. Specific details will be provided to qualified candidates.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, genetic information, military service or status, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other class, trait, or status protected by law.
St. Louis-based Ameren Corporation powers the quality of life for 2.4 million electric customers and more than 900,000 natural gas customers in a 64,000-square-mile area through its Ameren Missouri and Ameren Illinois rate-regulated utility subsidiaries. Ameren Illinois provides electric transmission and distribution service and natural gas distribution service. Ameren Missouri provides electric generation, transmission and distribution service, as well as natural gas distribution service. Ameren Transmission Company of Illinois develops, owns and operates rate-regulated regional electric transmission projects. For more information, visit Ameren.com, or follow us on Twitter at @AmerenCorp, Facebook.com/AmerenCorp, or LinkedIn/company/Ameren.