Sumter Utilities Groundman OH in Southern Region, Maryland
Sumter Utilities, Inc. (a Quanta Services company) seeks entry-level Groundman for Overhead Distribution construction work.
This position is the beginning step on the pathway to become a professional Lineworker / Lineman / Journeyman.
Successful candidates may possess existing experience as a Laborer in some form of outdoor construction, utility or tree work. E xperience working around heavy equipment and elevated operations may also be preferred. We are happy to consider those with experience in other applicable work such as telecom, tree-trimming, logging, etc.
SAFETY IS A CORE VALUE FOR OUR COMPANY so substantial weight will be given in the selection process to candidates demonstrating their shared commitment to safe operations.
While it is not a requirement, completion of a "Pre-Apprenticeship" Lineworker training program will receive serious consideration in selecting candidates for these entry-level positions. This is particularly so for candidates who do not possess any prior work experience.
We offer competitive wages, paid vacation and holidays, a full benefit package including Health, Dental, Vision, company-paid STD and Life/AD&D Insurance as well as optional Critical Care Insurance, LifeLock Identity Protection and supplemental Life/AD&D Insurance. Benefits are available the 1st day of the next month following date of hire. We also offer a 401k Retirement Savings Plan with a substantial company match and immediate vesting. Following 6 months of continuous employment, interested employees may also apply to attend our DOL Certified 4-Year Apprenticeship Program. (Must have HS Diploma or equivalent and CDL.) Possession of a valid Class A CDL is HIGHLY PREFERRED. Those hired without a CDL may be required to obtain within 90 days of employment.
Sumter Utilities, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity, Drug & Alcohol Free Workplace employer. NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as requested to meet the ongoing needs of the organization. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
• Performs various manual tasks in the construction & maintenance of overhead power lines.
• Able to comprehend, interpret and follow direction from Crew Foreman and senior crew members.
• Able to comprehend and apply training in Safety, First Aid and job/task specific topics.
• Able and willing to perform rigorous physical labor in outdoor weather conditions.
• Demonstrate a professional appearance & attitude in dealings with co-workers, customers, subcontractors and the general public .
• Assemble materials on the ground and hoist them into the work area using handlines and other safe methods. • Assist other crew members digging/filling pole holes and trenches using a shovel. • Flag traffic and set up job sites as directed. • Maintain organization of tools and materials on work vehicles. • Perform set up, c lean up and organizing of job sites. • When aptitude is demonstrated and work allows, may receive training in the operation of vehicles, light equipment and tools. • Able and willing to travel long distances on short notice as required. • Able and willing work for extended periods in various locations, when required. • Able and willing to work overtime, when required.
The employee is required to sit; frequently climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, bend, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or maneuver up to 40 pounds and occasionally lift and/or maneuver up to 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Work is primarily performed outdoors so physical exposure to often extreme weather conditions, animals and insects and other outdoor hazards is unavoidable and required.
Job LocationsUS-MD-Southern Region
Job ID 2021-1352
of Openings 10
Category Entry Level Non-Energized