NextEra Energy Principal Data Scientist - eIQ Mobility in San Francisco, California
Principal Data Scientist - eIQ Mobility
Date: Jul 25, 2021
Primary Location: San Francisco, CA, US, 94108
Company: NextEra Energy
is one of the largest wholesale generators of electric power and renewable energy from the wind and sun in North America.
Position Specific Description
We are looking for a Principal Data Scientist to support development of our flagship platform and services. This is a rare opportunity to take on a key role with an early stage product and engage in the exciting, red-hot electric mobility market. As a Principal Data Scientist at eIQ Mobility, you will use data and analytics methods and technologies to interpret data from multiple sources to help our customers make informed decisions regarding where and when to electrify their vehicle fleets, and build systems that optimize fleet operations. You will design key algorithms and models for our products, and will be involved in developing our software platform. You will be the tech lead within the Data Science team, and will be mentoring junior Data Scientists.
What You’ll Do
· Analyze product requirements to design and implement analytical models, algorithms, etc.
· Lead data science efforts, hire and mentor junior data scientists.
· Support prototype and proof-of-concept work without losing focus on the big picture architecture and platform development
· Write production-quality code to help us scale our products
· Develop and maintain documentation in support of analytical models, algorithms, etc.
· Present analysis findings and model designs to internal/external stakeholders; communicate complex technologies in a simple manner to all teams, including non-technical
What We’re Looking For
· Advanced degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Statistics, or related field (PhD preferred)
· Minimum 7 years of experience wrangling large, complex datasets
· Experience with building optimization and forecasting models for real-time systems
· Proficient with Python
· Experience with database systems such as MySQL and MariaDB
· Experience with visualization tools/libraries such as plot.ly, D3.js, and Tableau
· Experience with cloud platforms such as AWS or GCP
· Experience with convex and non-convex optimization techniques
· Strategic thinking and ability to understand both the details of the problem, as well as the big picture business contribution & impact
· Ability to be comfortable working with tight timelines, balance multiple projects, and adapt to aggressive and dynamic objectives
· Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills
Bonus Qualifications & Characteristics
· Experience solving complex problems such as transportation routing, HVAC control, or grid integration challenges
· Experience deploying model predictive control systems in a real-world setting
· Passionate about tackling climate change by reducing emissions via fleet electrification
Salary and Benefits
· Title and salary commensurate with experience
· Competitive benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance; 401k; paid vacation; and more
This position is responsible for leading the development of algorithms, modeling techniques, and optimization methods that support many aspects of NextEra and FPL business. Employees in this role use knowledge of machine learning, optimization, statistics, and applied mathematics along with abilities in software engineering with a focus on distributed computing and data storage infrastructure (i.e., “Big Data”).
Job Duties & Responsibilities
Provide thought leadership, set technical strategy, and identify possible uses of data science methods
Explain methods and results to upper-level executives
Develop machine learning, optimizations or other modeling solutions
Oversee related employee work, learn new techniques being developed
Prepares comprehensive documented observations, analyses and interpretations of results including technical reports, summaries, protocols and quantitative analyses
Works with big data and distributed computing platforms
Develops software and contributes to product development
Performs other job-related duties as assigned
Experience: 7+ years
Employee Group: Exempt
Employee Type: Full Time
Job Category: Science, Research, and Technology
Organization: NextEra Project Mgmt
Location: San Francisco, California
Other Work Locations: California
Relocation Provided: Yes, if applicable
NextEra Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, age, national origin, religion, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetics, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace.
If you require special support or accommodation while seeking employment with NextEra Energy, please send an e-mail to, providing your name, telephone number and the best time for us to reach you. Alternatively, you may call 844-694-4748. Please do not use this line to inquire about your application status.
NextEra Energy will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
NextEra Energy does not accept any unsolicited resumes or referrals from any third-party recruiting firms or agencies . Please see ourfor more information.
- NextEra Energy Jobs