NextEra Energy Manatee Masters in Riviera Beach, Florida
Date:Nov 5, 2020
Primary Location:Riviera Beach, FL, US, 33404
Company:NextEra Energy Requisition ID: 47852
Our reliability is one of the best in the nation, and we’re working to make it even better. We live here too. That’s why we’re committed to making Florida a better place. Join our team today
Position Specific Description Manatee Lagoon – An FPL Eco-Discovery Center relies on Manatee Masters, acting as docents or tour guides, to assist with guest relations and environmental education programming. Manatee Masters may work individually or as a team greeting visitors as they enter and tour the center. The center is open six days a week (select Mondays during Manatee season as well) and along with daily tours, there are a variety of other offerings, such as story times and school group visit programs, that our Manatee Masters lead.
Each Manatee Master will receive a comprehensive training about manatees, Lake Worth Lagoon and the center’s extensive exhibit offerings. Some other specific responsibilities include:
- Crowd control assistance and assurance that safety guidelines are followed.
- Performance of daily operations of the center, presenting live or recorded school and public programs in person and virtually, and special projects, such as fish and invertebrate collections, fish tank maintenance, creating flyers and calendars, and organizing supplies.
- Assisting with the creation of materials and plans to support educational offerings.
- Representation of the center at events throughout the area, such as Palm Beach County’s LagoonFest and Loggerhead Marinelife Center’s TurtleFest. Manatee Masters may staff booths, or make presentations in the community, sharing information about the center and manatees, and answering questions.
Manatee Masters should be comfortable interacting with the public, teaching or presenting educational content in-person and virtually and possess strong communication skills. Manatee Lagoon expects its employees to be flexible, proactive, enthusiastic and friendly. Manatee Lagoon shirts will be provided and a neat and professional appearance must be maintained.
To be considered a Manatee Master, you must be enrolled at least part time in biology, environmental science or education related program at Florida Atlantic University. The expectation is that Manatee Masters will work one or possibly both weekend days, particularly during manatee season (Nov. 15 through March 31), and one or several shifts a week throughout the calendar year.
Employees in this role serve as ambassadors for Manatee Lagoon. Individuals are the go to experts for all visitors seeking information about manatees, Lake Worth Lagoon and the role FPL's power plant plays in bringing manatees to the area every winter. This position conducts daily tours for the public and they also assist with projects designed to enhance and support Manatee Lagoon's mission. Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Conducts daily scheduled and impromptu tours of the center
- Tracks sign-ups and keeps records for additional add-ons for metric purposes
- Opens and/or closes the center
- Takes inventory and documents center activity
- Leads various program activities, including but not limited to: story time for toddlers, lectures for all visitors, programs for school groups, etc.
- Assists with creating and coordinating special projects
- Responds to inquires with pre-approved responses
- Assists with creating material content for visitors
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned
- High School Grad / GED
- Experience: 1+ years
- Maintains active enrollment in a Bachelor ,Master or PH.D of Science degree program at Florida Atlantic University
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Focus in environmental education-related programs
Employee Group: Non Exempt Employee Type: Part Time Job Category: Administrative/Clerical Organization: Florida Power & Light Company Location: Riviera Beach, Florida Other Work Locations: Florida Relocation Provided: No
NextEra Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, age, national origin, religion, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetics, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace.
If you require special support or accommodation while seeking employment with NextEra Energy, please send an e-mail to, providing your name, telephone number and the best time for us to reach you. Alternatively, you may call 1-844-694-4748. Please do not use this line to inquire about your application status.
NextEra Energy will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
NextEra Energydoes notaccept any unsolicited resumes or referrals fromany third-party recruiting firms or agencies. Please see ourfor more information.
- NextEra Energy Jobs