Tri-State Generation and Transmission Association, Inc. IRC27695 I through JL Substation Technician (Relay) in Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Responsible for the safe and efficient maintenance and operation of substations. Accountable to a senior or foreman level technician for all assigned high voltage substation maintenance, training and operation functions. Maintains all components associated with the efficient operation of assigned substations, both energized and de-energized. Assists with the supervision and training of others in all types of construction and maintenance of electrical equipment in substations and in the maintenance of the substation yard. Carries out work order assignments, interprets prints, and prepares daily time sheets, material tickets, and field and inspection reports as required.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintain all components associated with the efficient operation of assigned high voltage substations, both energized and de-energized.
- Assists with the supervision and training of others in all types of construction and maintenance of electrical equipment in substations and in the maintenance of the substation yard.
- Carry out work order assignments, interpret prints, and prepare daily time sheets, material tickets, and field and inspection reports as required.
- Serve as lead technician and assist in directing the work of assigned crew for the routing and execution of jobs assigned, and planning and laying out the specific work assignments on the job.
- Maintain a first-aid card and the ability to perform first aid.
- Responsible for observance of safety rules by all co-workers.
- Maintain a Chauffeur or Class "A" driver's license and operate automotive equipment, including DOT regulated vehicles used for substation operations and maintenance work.
- Set up safe clearance with system operators and other system operating personnel.
- Assist with supervising crew in specifically assigned location in coordination with direction from senior or foreman level substation technician.
- Responsible for prompt restoration of service during outage.
- Responsible for having all equipment maintained in ready-working condition.
- Do any other work of equal or lessor skill within the capabilities of the individual to meet emergencies or other operating needs.
- Adhere to and demonstrate compliance with appropriate electric utility industry regulatory requirements. Attain knowledge and remain knowledgeable of development in regulations, laws, standards and best practices applicable to the functional area including, but not limited to, Standards of Conduct, Environmental, Employment Law, NERC Reliability Standards and Safety. Must be familiar with, and comply with, all aspects of Corporate Policy C-54, Compliance.
- Demonstrate behavior consistent with Tri-State's culture embodied in the Cooperative principles and spirit and core values of technical competency, respect and dignity, accountability, integrity, trustworthiness, and servant leadership to empower or otherwise enable others to optimally perform their job responsibilities. Demonstrate and promote ethics and behaviors consistent with Tri-State's culture, Board policies, and business practices. Understand and fulfill the role and responsibility for all compliance programs within the company.
- Because Tri-State is an electric utility with continuous service obligations to its customers, regular, reliable, and predictable performance of the essential functions and responsibilities is an essential function of the job.
- Because Tri-State has an obligation to provide continuous, reliable electric service to its customers, the ability to work overtime at any time of the day or week is considered an essential function of the job.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform other related duties as assigned
SUCCESS FACTORS/JOB COMPETENCIES:
- Planning: ability to think ahead and plan within timelines and resources; develop scopes, plan and schedule work; set priorities and goals; anticipate and adjust for problems; evaluate workloads; measure and evaluate performance against established goals.
- Time management: ability to successfully plan and implement objectives within established timelines and work schedules.
- Ability to analyze problems and develop effective solutions at both strategic and functional levels.
- Demonstrate behavior consistent with company values.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong team player: accomplishes tasks by working with others and being a good team player. Recognizes how his/her decisions may impact others; seeks input from others.
- Computer proficiency in operating a personal computer and standard business office applications including Microsoft Office suite, databases, and other related applications including systems used for storing and retrieving data and generating reports related to Transmission substation operations and maintenance.
- Ability to work independently, with minimal direction as a highly motivated self-starter.
REQUIRED JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
- Associates degree in Electronics Engineering Technology with advanced studies in industrial electrical, electro-mechanical controls, hydraulic, pneumatic device, and digital systems control logic, or equivalent training and/or experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Ability:
- Possess a considerable degree of skill to perform work by following standard method of procedure.
- Be able to exercise judgment in frequently making decisions and regularly directing a group of workers.
- Have thorough knowledge of the practices used in the electric power industry.
- Be capable of applying artificial respiration and be able to render practical first aid.
- Four (4) years of practical experience and/or be able to demonstrate knowledge in maintenance of industrial electrical- electromechanical -electronic control equipment which must include:
- Three (3) years and/or the equivalent knowledge of practical experience in testing, calibrating and repairing protective relay devices and revenue meters;
- Experience or knowledge of electric power substation apparatus maintenance experience involving testing of power transformers, testing and repairing of power circuit breakers and electrical insulation system testing and repair.
- Must be capable of satisfactorily interpreting electrical schematic diagrams, wiring diagrams and control logic.
- Journey Level relay experience and or meter certificate required.
- Must have high school diploma or equivalent
- Must reside within a 60-minute response time of the base location.
- Willingness to travel up to 75% of working time, including overnight travel.
- Have good health and physical abilities adequate for strenuous work.
- Must possess a valid driver's license.
- Must possess a CDL or have the ability to obtain one within 6 months of the date of hire.
- Must be able to demonstrate that he or she can perform all of the essential functions of the position.
- Be willing and able to work extra and irregular hours as the utility needs may require, and willing to work under unusual or special working conditions; storms, extreme temperatures, winds, darkness, various terrain and other similar working conditions.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL DEMANDS: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical demands: While performing the duties of this position, the incumbent is required to stand and walk for long periods of time and occasionally stoop, bend, reach above and below shoulder level and lift up to 50 lbs. Incumbent is frequently required to use hands and fingers to handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls, talk and hear. Incumbent must have finger dexterity, good vision, good color vision, good hearing, and ability to speak clearly, and handle intricate work.
- Mental demands: While performing the duties of this job, the incumbent is required to read, write, perform basic math, analyze data and reports, exercise judgment, develop plans, procedures and goals, and present information to others and work under pressure.
- Work Environment: While performing the duties of this position, the incumbent is exposed to dust and exposed to electrical risks typical to working around high voltage substation equipment including both energized and de-energized equipment, and works around and operates various heavy equipment used for high voltage substation operations and maintenance.
Job Title: IRC27695 I through JL Substation Technician (Relay)
Location: Rio Rancho, NM, US
Base Location: Rio Rancho, NM
Amount of Travel: Up to 75%
Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran