Tri-State Generation and Transmission Association, Inc. Laborer 1-6 IRC25027 in Prewitt, New Mexico
Responsibility may vary depending on step-grade level of position. Function may include: cleaning of plant buildings and grounds; operating machinery and equipment such as trucks, fork lifts, loaders, backhoes; assisting journeymen in the performance of hands-on maintenance and operations tasks.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs manual labor and semi-skilled tasks to support the maintenance function in the material handling and mechanical maintenance sections of the plant. Depending on step-grade level as outlined in the step-grade manual, work consists of performing preventive maintenance tasks, packing gaskets, mechanical seals, plumbing, piping, pumps, gears, bearings, valves and plate welding.
- Uses tools associated with power plant cleaning, mechanical and maintenance work.
- Operates machinery and equipment such as haul, water and vacuum trucks, forklifts, loaders, backhoe, grader, bulldozer and other equipment depending on the step-grade level.
- Performs light maintenance on mobile vehicle equipment to keep equipment operative.
- The foregoing is not all-inclusive of the duties to which the employee may be assigned. In order to ensure maximum flexibility and efficiency and to encourage cross training, employees will be assigned to such additional duties as are deemed necessary or desirable by management and/or supervision.
- Adhere to and demonstrate compliance with appropriate electric utility industry regulatory requirements. Attain knowledge and remain knowledgeable of development in regulations, laws, standards and best practices applicable to the functional area including, but not limited to, Standards of Conduct, Environmental, Employment Law, NERC Reliability Standards and Safety. Must be familiar with, and comply with, all aspects of Corporate Policy C-54, Compliance.
- Demonstrate behavior consistent with Tri-State's culture embodied in the Cooperative principles and spirit and core values of technical competency, respect and dignity, accountability, integrity, trustworthiness, and servant leadership to empower or otherwise enable others to optimally perform their job responsibilities. Demonstrate and promote ethics and behaviors consistent with Tri-State's culture, Board policies, and business practices. Understand and fulfill the role and responsibility for all compliance programs within the company.
- Because Tri-State is an electric utility with continuous service obligations to its customers, regular, reliable, and predictable performance of the essential functions and responsibilities is an essential function of the job.
- Because Tri-State has an obligation to provide continuous, reliable electric service to its customers, the ability to work overtime at any time of the day or week is considered an essential function of the job.
- Perform other related duties as assigned
SUCCESS FACTORS/JOB COMPETENCIES:
- Work requires basic knowledge of routine maintenance procedures and processes in areas of building and grounds.
- Duties consist of a variety of standardized repetitive and routine tasks which are performed utilizing specific procedures.
- Problem analysis and problem resolution at both strategic and functional levels.
- Duties also include tasks which require application of mechanical skills and abilities and tasks which require the operation of light equipment such as forklifts and vehicles.
REQUIRED JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
Education and Training:
- Must have a high school diploma or equivalent.
Knowledge, Skills, and Ability:
- Must be able to demonstrate that he/she can perform all of the essential functions of the position.
- Must pass all required Tri-State testing.
- Must have and maintain a current, valid driver's license.
- Must reside within a one hour reporting time to the Escalante Generating Station.
- Must be willing and able to work different work schedules, rotating shifts including weekends and holidays and subject to "on call" status (availability) at management discretion.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL DEMANDS: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical demands: The work requires extensive walking, climbing, crawling, bending, and working in awkward positions. A substantial amount of standing, walking, climbing reaching overhead, bending and squatting is required. Also involves heavy work requiring lifting or exerting pressure in excess of 50 pounds frequently and up to 100 pounds occasionally. Vision requirements include the ability to differentiate between colors, see instrument read-outs, charts, gauges, and alarm windows.
- Mental demands: Must be able to hear alarms and timers and differentiate between the different normal and abnormal noises, sounds and alarms found in the operation of a power plant.
- Work Environment: Involves working in high or confined places/spaces and exposure to extremes of temperature, noise, dust, and fumes. May also be exposed to electrical risks common to working around power plant high voltage equipment. Frequent exposure to outdoor conditions, high heat, dust, chemicals, loud noises, rotating machinery and other conditions found in a coal fired power plant.
This job description is not all inclusive but rather serves as a general guideline of the current needs of the position and can be modified at the discretion of management to meet current business needs. Experience and education requirements are the primary basis for awarding this position, however substitutions that are essentially equivalent may be made as they relate to the essential functions, duties, and responsibilities of this position.
Job Title: Laborer 1-6 IRC25027
Location: Prewitt, NM, US
Base Location: Escalante Station
Amount of Travel: Up to 10%
Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran