Portland General Electric Principal Technical Program Manager - Telecommunications in Portland, Oregon
This is an exciting time to join Portland General Electric. As Oregon’s largest electric utility, Portland General Electric is leading an energy transformation that will harness the power of clean and renewable resources. Our vision for a clean energy future relies on three interrelated and overarching strategies: de-carbonize through investing in clean and reliable energy; modernize through a smarter more resilient grid; and empower our customers in their energy technology choices.
We’re searching for innovative, customer and results-obsessed leaders to help power our mission and lead the way in championing the world’s clean energy future!
This position will oversee the telecommunications strategy for Portland General Electric (PGE). It is critical in supporting our integrated grid and our goals towards a clean energy future. Key functions of the position include: developing PGE’s communication roadmap for wired and wireless (thinking 5G and beyond), MultiProtocol Label Switching (MPLS) strategy and oversight, Field Area Network (FAN) strategy and Oversight, NAN and WAN alignment, development of 5G pilots, development of the private LTE roadmap, development of a seamless roaming strategy and development of low orbital satellite communications plan and pilots.
• Leads the execution (the go-to-expert) of a program of multiple complex system architecture projects for PGE, that include information technology systems supporting electric grid operations, process improvement, Construction Department reorganizations and strategy implementation, training, feasibility studies and pilots; serves as an industry expert on smart grid initiatives.
• Determines how to best integrate customer systems with the PGE grid, thus developing industry practices related to smart grid developments and efforts.
• Anticipates industry needs and consults with business unit managers and executives to ensure (1) strategic alignment of program portfolio, (2) understanding of dependencies and constraints, (3) cost effectiveness and (4) mitigation of negative operational and/or customer impacts of business initiatives and projects; consults with project sponsors to develop objectives and scope; utilizes technical expertise to assist in or develop business case/justification.
• Oversees development and standardization of project plan(s), including work breakdown structure (WBS), schedule and cost baselines, overall budget management, dependencies, project roles and resource requirements; identifies individual project and portfolio risks to PGE and its customers and mitigation strategies; partners and strategizes with Supply Chain, Legal, IT, business units and project sponsors on vendor contract negotiations.
• Develops program strategy that includes multiple enterprise projects/initiatives to complete strategic projects; provides team leadership; facilitates program and industry meetings; cultivates and reinforces group values, norms and behaviors; guides and motivates team on performance and productivity; ensures compliance with established project management methodologies and standards; takes corrective action, as needed.
• Establishes and maintains formal controls to ensure proper management and monitoring of budget, scope, quality, schedule and risks across the portfolio of projects, and overall program completion that is on time and within budget; negotiates project changes with project managers and project sponsors; maintains, adjusts and updates overall program plan as needed; researches and creates best practices for future smart grid systems of PGE, external customers and the utility industry.
• Develops communication plans and strategies; coordinates with project managers, business unit managers and change managers to provide timely, accurate communication of program plan and status to internal and external stakeholders; develops and promotes adherence to communication and reporting standards to reduce inefficiencies and potential inaccuracies resulting from developing customized communications, reports or materials for different audiences on demand.
• Leads and/or facilitates business process improvement (BPI) activities; assists in improving processes, practices and policies and in establishing process controls to measure baseline and post-improvement performance to monitor success of improvement initiatives; serves as a change agent, systematically driving continuous improvement using state of the art improvement techniques.
• Provides program level governance to ensure standards, methodologies and policies are adhered to and proper documentation is maintained; ensures all project documents are catalogued and archived in a secure and efficient manner; documents and files all “lessons learned” along with project artifacts.
• Develops and maintains key relationships across the business, including with senior executives; provides subject matter expertise for project management and/or process improvement; collaborates with, mentors, and assists in training other project managers or leads to continually improve project standards and methodology.
• Partners and participates with other utilities and vendors to strengthen and create opportunities to share best practices.
• Reports directly to the Senior Manager Integrated Grid who reports to the Senior Director Integration Program Management.
• Bachelor’s degree in computer science, systems architecture, or engineering from ABET accredited engineering program or program accredited by an equivalent agency or other related field.
• Twelve or more years of experience in managing complex systems architecture projects in a regulated risky environment or related field.
• Advanced knowledge of Telecommunications Industry Association (serial communications, ethernet), Cybersecurity National Institute of Standards and Technology, International Electro Technical Commission, and applicable regulatory requirements.
• Advanced knowledge of network/LAN interfaces.
• Advanced knowledge of corporate and operational compliance and risk management principles and protocols.
Join us today and power your potential!
To be considered for this position, please complete the following employment application by the posting close date. A cover letter may be needed with your application to be considered for this position.
PGE believes in rewarding strong performance. We provide a total compensation package that is designed to reward your contributions to the company, and, at the same time, support your well-being and professional development, both now and into the future.
PGE is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. PGE will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, disability, protected veteran status, or other characteristics protected by law.
Assisting with storms or other Company emergencies is a part of all positions at Portland General Electric.
Talent Acquisition Contact:
This job posting will close at 12:01 am Pacific Time on the closing date listed below:
At Portland General Electric, we’re innovators, builders, and achievers. We’re committed to powering our customers’ potential and making a difference for our community and the planet. Today, that commitment includes developing an intelligent and resilient electric grid, electrifying transportation and de-carbonizing the energy sector.
We’re proud to deliver an exceptional experience to help our customers thrive. Our mission is to make clean, reliable and affordable energy services available to all. We obsess over serving customers and are committed to growing employee career paths with purpose. Equity and inclusion are core business values; we celebrate our differences and are committed to developing teams that reflect the communities we serve.