Salt River Project TGO Real Time Operations Training Supervisor in Phoenix, Arizona
TGO Real Time Operations Training Supervisor
Date: Jul 7, 2021
Location: Phoenix, AZ, US
SRP is one of the largest public power and water utilities in the U.S. providing electricity to approximately one million customers in the greater metropolitan Phoenix area. Since its founding in 1903, SRP has fostered a culture of stewardship and customer service consistently ranking as an industry leader in customer service according to J.D. Power. SRP continues to adapt to its changing business environment by seeking innovative ways to reimagine utility service and the provision of critical resources essential to the life and economy of Arizona.
Leads SRP’s Balancing Authority Operator, Transmission Operator and Energy Imbalance Market training to support the continued reliable operation of the SRP bulk electric power system. The position directs activities in support of SRP’s Grid Operations Training program as required by the North-American Electric Reliability Council (NERC) and the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC). This training program includes simulation and course work associated with Transmission Operations, Balancing Authority Area Operations and ensures compliance with the applicable NERC/WECC Reliability Standards. The position ensures that all activities associated with the trainings for the BAO, TO and EIM operations are conducted in a safe, reliable and efficient manner and in compliance with all applicable standards.
• Ensures that operating staff is adequately trained and appropriately certified per the requirements of NERC and WECC to promote safe, reliable, and secure operations of the transmission and generation system.
• Prepares technical reports and delivers technical presentations to support results of the Balancing requirements and Energy Imbalance Market analyses including process development and training.
• Provides Trainers and processes to support all new changes related to system operations
• Acts as a Company subject matter expert for applicable NERC and WECC Standards in the Transmission Operations (TOP), Resource and Demand Balancing (BAL), Communications (COM), Emergency Preparedness and Operations (EOP), Personnel Performance, Training and Qualifications (PER), Protection and Control (PRC), Voltage and Reactive (VAR) categories, with particular emphasis on supporting operations practices in an external audit environment.
• Ensures Grid Operations training programs are designed and executed in compliance with the NERC Continuing Education Program.
• Directs and manages the Grid Operations training strategy and operating objectives, ensuring that department personnel understand and carry out operations appropriately.
• Consults with all team members to analyze training needs.
• Directs the training team in the assessment, design and implementation of training and development programs to meet the needs of the departmental mission and objectives and improve customer satisfaction both internal and external.
• Oversees the development of the Operator Training Simulator and incorporates it as an integral part of the overall Grid Operations training program.
• Communicates effectively with direct reports, management, and other SRP departments on training sessions, training delivery, and technology-based solutions as applicable.
• Performs related duties as assigned.
• Leads various projects and initiatives as assigned
Completion of an appropriate Apprenticeship program or equivalent.
Completion of a Bachelor's Degree from an accredited institution that prepares the employee for the assignment.
A minimum of seven years of job-related experience that has prepared the candidate for success in the position.
Five years' experience as an Operations Supervisor preferred.
Prefer experience as a bulk electric system transmission or balancing operator or grid operations supervisor.
Prefer experience in system operations training and applying a Systematic Approach to Training
Demonstrated knowledge of Balancing Authority, Transmission Operations principles, NERC Reliability Standards, compliance techniques, and power system advanced applications.
Demonstrated knowledge of interconnected transmission system operations principles.
Demonstrated experience with NERC Standards, and the techniques for developing and maintaining compliance documentation and evidence. Demonstrated knowledge of EIM market principles associated with EIM Entity.
Demonstrated oral and written communication and negotiation skills as well relations with peers, subordinates, and counterpart
Demonstrated knowledge of SCADA, OASIS, State Estimator, Contingency Analysis, Advanced Applications, and Transmission Scheduling systems.
Possess and maintain a NERC Reliability Coordinator (RC) level certification either before employment or within 12 months of hire date
Requisition ID: 13068
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
Salt River Project (SRP) recognizes diversity and inclusion as key drivers of innovation and growth, and seeks to attract a diverse employee base that reflects our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, military status or any other protected status under applicable federal, state or local law. Ultimately, SRP aspires to fully apply the power of diversity and inclusion to build a more equitable and sustainable future for our customers, employees and community.
Drug/Alcohol Policy Statement
In order to promote the safety and well-being of our employees, customers and the communities we serve, SRP is committed to maintaining a drug/alcohol free work environment. Although marijuana may now be legal in Arizona, except as otherwise specified under Arizona law, SRP considers it to be an illegal drug for the purpose of our drug/alcohol policy because marijuana remains illegal at the federal level. Any candidate found to be impaired during the hiring process or who has the presence of an illegal drug or unauthorized substance in their system during the pre-employment drug/alcohol test may be disqualified from further consideration in the hiring process.
All candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
Currently, SRP does not sponsor H1B visas.
Why Work at SRP
SRP's success is rooted in our employees' happiness, health and safety. That's why we offer a comprehensive benefits package to meet the needs of our employees and enhance their well-being. In addition to competitive pay and performance incentives, eligible employees can take advantage of the following benefits:
• 401(k) plan with employer matching
• Retirement pension
• Paid vacation
• Parental leave
• Holiday pay
• Sick leave
• Medical, vision, dental and life insurance
• Wellness programs
• Pre-tax benefits
• Short and long-term disability plans
• Tuition assistance