Southern Company Storage Operation Supervisor in Pecatonica, Illinois
Storage Operation Supervisor
This role supports daily operations of West Region Transmission and underground natural gas storage facilities in Illinois. The position will have a primary reporting location of Pecatonica Storage (Pecatonica, IL) but will interact and be accountable for Storage Operations support throughout the Illinois footprint. This supervisory role will have responsibilities managing union direct reports. This position will develop and execute daily maintenance/work plans to maintain safety practices, system integrity and reliability while adhering to operational and capital budgets. Duties will include station and field operation responsibilities in potential high stress environments. 24/7 on call requirements, including overnight stays during critical/peaking operations.
• Responsible for the safe and efficient operation of all equipment and facilities needed to meet daily system and commercial needs.
• Develop and coordinate annual operating and capital projects and develop budget needs for field personnel, contractors, and others to complete all operational and maintenance tasks required.
• Communicates regularly with Gas Control, Gas Supply, other operating facilities, and/or other internal business units.
• Develop work plans, schedules and monitors all code compliance work (Tap stations, Storage field, valves, reliefs, wells, regulators, etc.) to insure all are completed within regulatory guidelines.
• Comply with Company policies and procedures as well as applicable State and Federal regulations.
• Responds appropriately to abnormal operating conditions in order to maintain a safe and reliable operating environment.
• Promotes good relations with direct reports, peers, all customers, and other internal business units (i.e., Gas Control, Gas Supply, other operating facilities, interconnecting pipelines, management, etc.) and cooperates with other personnel and/or departments to achieve business goals.
• Responds appropriately to Emergency Response situations and performs first responder duties in accordance with the Emergency Response Plan. This role requires 24/7 on call responsibilities/support.
• Supervise the monitoring of facility security and access control, and supervisory control (HMI) systems to respond to system changes, alarms, and abnormal operating conditions in an efficient and professional manner.
• Strives to promote continuous improvement pertaining to safe, efficient and reliable operation of facilities.
• Identify, report and address operational issues that may impact facility reliability or efficiency.
• Identify, report and address operational issues that may impact compliance with regulations or company policies and procedures.
• Collaborate with direct reports, management peers, internal groups, consultants and contractors to assist with improving existing operations, special projects, new construction, and expansion of existing facilities.
• Develop each employee’s skills and abilities to maximize the effectiveness of a small workgroup in order to provide safe, reliable and cost-effective service. Measure and evaluate employee performance throughout the year. Provide feedback and training for the employees to insure their personal growth.
• Participates in Company sponsored technical training programs, cross-training assignments, job shadowing, and orientation of new hires to improve knowledge and skills of self and others.
• Takes initiative to assist peers with workloads and self-starter performance.
• High School Graduate or GED
• Valid state driver’s license
• Associates degree in technical, process, plant operator specialties, business or equivalent supervisory experience
Related Work Experience:
• Gas operations, plant maintenance, and/or process experience, or equivalent (refinery, LNG)
• Computer experience including, but not limited to, MS Word, MS Excel, PeopleSoft, MS Projects, etc.
• Prior supervisory experience, specifically managing union direct reports.
• Prior experience creating and managing operational and capital budgets
• Prior Project Management and/or Project Construction experience a plus
• Knowledge and experience in safe handling practices of flammable gases or liquids, and high pressure systems.
• Knowledge of the principles internal combustion engines, gas processing equipment, well systems and pipeline/gathering systems.
Specific Skills & Knowledge:
• Mathematical proficiency
• Ability to prepare written and electronic reports in a clear and concise manner.
• Proficient understanding and use of the English language.
• Experience reading and interpreting blueprints and diagrams.
• Good computer skills (i.e., Word, Excel, MS Outlook, etc.).
• Ability to interact effectively with others
• Motivated, with good communication (oral and written) and interpersonal skills
• Knowledge of gas handling/processing equipment
• Knowledge of gas handling/processing equipment.
• Knowledge of pipelines, compression, plant processes, and/or storage field operations.
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
• The incumbent works in a plant office environment and field environment.
• Other physical activities include crouching, climbing, working in extreme weather conditions; hot and cold, and working around loud noises and able to safely lift 50 pounds.
• Visual acuity requirements include color, depth perception and field of vision necessary to operate a computer.
• Travel requirements should be infrequent (0 – 5%).
This position falls under the company’s Insider Threat Program and will have access to, and control over sensitive data, systems or assets. Enhanced personnel screening, which includes a background review, drug screen and psychological assessment, will be required if you are selected for this position
Southern Company Gas provides for the energy needs of millions of U.S. households and businesses. As the largest natural gas-only distribution company in the United States, with more than 150 years of history behind us, we're working to ensure that Americans have access to an abundant, safely delivered supply of natural gas for decades to come. We offer our customers a wide range of energy services under one umbrella: seven regulated utilities as well as non-regulated businesses that offer retail, wholesale and storage services.
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is America's premier energy company, with 46,000 megawatts of generating capacity and 1,500 billion cubic feet of combined natural gas consumption and throughput volume serving 9 million customers through its subsidiaries . The company provides clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy through electric operating companies in four states, natural gas distribution companies in seven states, a competitive generation company serving wholesale customers across America and a nationally recognized provider of customized energy solutions, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications . Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and affordable prices that are below the national average. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation, Southern Company and its subsidiaries are inventing America's energy future by developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including carbon-free nuclear, 21st century coal, natural gas, renewables and energy efficiency, and creating new products and services for the benefit of customers. Southern Company has been named by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer, recognized among the Top 50 Companies for Diversity by DiversityInc, listed by Black Enterprise magazine as one of the 40 Best Companies for Diversity and designated a Top Employer for Hispanics by Hispanic Network. The company has earned a National Award of Nuclear Science and History from the National Atomic Museum Foundation for its leadership and commitment to nuclear development and is continually ranked among the top energy companies in Fortune's annual World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Field: Gas Pipeline Operations & Maintenance
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Illinois-Northern Illinois-Pecatonica
Operating Company: Nicor Gas
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): No
Pecatonica - 2710 N Conger Rd. (2710PecatonicaCODE)
2710 N Conger Rd.
Req ID: GAS2001688