Avangrid Senior Smart Metering Analyst in Orange, Connecticut
Senior Smart Metering Analyst
Company: THE UNITED ILLUMINATING C
Orange, CT, US
Iberdrola is a global energy leader, the number one producer of wind power, and one of the world's biggest electricity utilities in terms of market capitalisation. The group supplies energy to almost 100 million people in dozens of countries including Spain, the United Kingdom (ScottishPower), the United States (AVANGRID), Brazil (Neoenergia), Mexico, Germany, Portugal, Italy and France, with a workforce of more than 35,000 people.
Iberdrola is leading the transition towards a sustainable energy model through its investments in renewable energy, smart grids, large-scale energy storage and digital transformation, to offer its customers the most advanced products and services. Thanks to its commitment to clean energy, Iberdrola is one of the companies with the lowest emissions and an international benchmark for its contribution to sustainability and the fight against climate change.
This position can be performed remotely on a temporary basis until directed otherwise given COVID-19. Avangrid employees may be assigned a system emergency role and in the event of a system emergency, may be required to work outside of their regular schedule/job duties.
The Smart Metering Department within Avangrid’s Operational Smart Grids organization is responsible for strategy, enterprise planning, operation, and compliance of metering systems and networks covering over 1 million meters, primarily Advanced Metering Infrastructure ("AMI" or smart meters), currently across the states of Maine and Connecticut. AMI is considered a foundational technology for grid modernization. Central Maine Power, a subsidiary of Avangrid, Inc., serves over 636,000 retail electric customers in central and southern Maine. This position reports to the Regional Manager for Smart Metering’s Maine-based operations, and will work with the team to develop and implement solutions for the AMI Head-End System (HES), AMI network, Meter Data Management System (MDM), MV-90 xi system, and other applications in support of business requirements. The selected person will join a team of technical systems and metering experts and will collaborate with metering peers in Connecticut and New York and other groups across Avangrid, including IT, Telecommunications, Control & Automation Systems, Electric Operations, Customer Service, and Innovation.
MAJOR ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (Scope of work - range of responsibilities):
• Independently develop technical solutions and/or perform configuration changes to meet ongoing requirements then prepare specifications for approved changes associated with the AMI network, HES, and MDM and other applicable environments within Smart Metering.
• Independently perform testing and implementation of enhancements to the AMI HES, AMI network, MDM, MV-90 and other applications in Smart Metering to meet requirements (e.g., system performance, availability, recoverability, compliance).
• Help coordinate system upgrades and issue resolution with vendors, end users, and process owners, including corporate IT.
• Support daily operations of the AMI network and systems.
• Create and maintain documentation; observe change management principles; perform system performance trend analysis.
• Be on-call on a rotational basis over the 7-day week as needed to monitor, support upgrades and system maintenance, and assist with troubleshooting (e.g., meters, reading files, AMI Head End Network Issues).
• Participate as a senior team member in business projects as needed.
• Facilitate assistance and knowledge transfer to more junior team members.
Skills and Requirements
• Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics, Engineering, Computer Science, Finance, or Statistics with at least 5 years of experience preferred
• Solid technical background with experience in three or more of the following preferred:
o Technical hardware architecture
o Linux/Unix Operating System
o Networking and topology / understanding of high-level network and security concepts, radio networks, firmware updates, Zigbee wireless protocols in and around 802.1x, FCC regulations
o Network functionality and tools including SSH, traceroute, ping, understanding of DHCP, VPN technologies, firewall concepts and architecture
o Relational DBMS (i.e., Oracle/SQL Server/MySQL)
o Windows Server OS and creating .NET web services running on Microsoft’s IIS
o Bash/perl/python scripting and/or java on Linux
o AMI Head-end Systems, Meter Data Management Systems, MV-90 xi, and/or related metering systems
• Experience with SAP preferred
• Demonstrated track record of learning new technologies and systems, building cross-functional relationships with key stakeholders, and solving complex technical issues required
• Knowledge of electric and/or gas utility operations preferred
• Previous work experience in IT, operational telecom, network or systems engineering, or metering operations preferred
• Proficiency in MS Office Suite and other business analytical tools required
• Ability to maintain the integrity of data during extraction, storage, manipulation, and processing required
• Demonstrated ability to develop and train more junior team members required
Avangrid employees may be assigned a system emergency role and in the event of a system emergency, may be required to work outside of their regular schedule/job duties. This is applicable to employees that will work in Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, and New York within AVANGRD Network and Corporate functions. This does not include those that will work for Avangrid Renewables
AVANGRID’s employment practices and policies are geared to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. At AVANGRID we provide fair and equal employment and advancement opportunities for all employees and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. Learn more about equal employment by following this link (https://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf)
If you are an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who is unable to use our online tool to search for or to apply for jobs, you may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting our Human Resources department at 203-499-2777 or email@example.com