Omaha Public Power District Lead Quality Assurance Engineer in Omaha, Nebraska
The Lead Quality Assurance Engineer plays a primary role in planning, implementing, leading and executing all aspects of Quality and Testing. In addition, they are responsible for monitoring all stages of software development, validate the conformity of the deliverables, and coordinate with the customers and business partners during the user acceptance testing. They are also responsible for automating the execution of the tests in the context of increasing delivery speed. The role requires hands-on QA expertise, ability to take initiative and develop and evolve our QA processes. It is expected that this role will have a broad knowledge of the field including but not limited to software development, infrastructure, networking, and security.
- Technical Strategy: Support Enterprise Architects effort to define and implement the strategic technical direction.
- Support analysis of enterprise business context to derive future state.
- Help defining metrics to measure and demonstrate enterprise technology value.
Understand technology trends and the practical application of existing and emerging technologies.
Quality Assurance: Leads and stays involved with all the facets of quality assurance and control.
- Establish and evolve formal QA processes, ensuring that the team is using industry-accepted best practices.
- Oversee all aspects of quality assurance including establishing metrics, applying industry best practices, and developing new tools and processes to ensure quality goals are met.
- Act as key point of contact for all QA aspects of releases, providing QA services and coordinating QA resources internally and externally.
- Review requirements, specifications and technical design documents to provide timely and meaningful feedback.
- Create detailed, comprehensive and well-structured test plans and test cases.
- Design, develop and execute automation scripts.
- Identify, record, document thoroughly and track issues.
- Perform thorough regression testing when issues are resolved or functionalities changed.
- Investigate the causes of non-conforming software.
- Track quality assurance metrics, like defect densities and open defect counts.
Support user acceptance testing activities.
Planning: Play an active role in planning at various levels, from strategic to projects planning.
- Comfortable with top-bottom and bottom-up planning.
- Provide high level and detailed estimates.
Decompose work in work packages.
Technical leadership: Ensure execution of the projects regarding scope, and quality is properly aligned with the strategic and architectural directions.
- Communicate all concepts and guidelines successfully to the development team.
- Consult on application and infrastructure projects to ensure alignment with enterprise technical architecture.
- Oversee progress of the project team to ensure consistency with the initial design.
- Lead and mentor QA team members, as well as manage outside contract testers.
- Collaborate with business constituents, EA team members, project teams, and staff in various IT functional areas.
- Approve final product before launch by ensuring software meets all requirements of quality, security, maintainability, extensibility, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in computer science, system analysis or related field, or a combination of education and work experience that provides the necessary skills to perform the essential job functions.
- A minimum of 7 years’ experience in the software quality field including prior hands-on quality engineering experience
- Demonstrated experience developing and executing test cases, scripts, plans and procedures to support various development methodologies
- Familiarity with entire software development life cycle and test cycles (Unit, Regression, Functional, Systems, Stress & Scale, Smoke & Sanity)
- Understanding of multi-tier web application architecture and deployment
- Understanding of existing QA best practices and methodologies to design, implement and automate processes
- Very strong knowledge of testing applications and platforms as HP LoadRunner, Unified Functional Testing, Selenium, TestComplete
- Familiar with personal computer software and hardware, particularly Windows 7, Windows 10, Microsoft Outlook,
- Prior success using a metrics-driven approach and closed-loop feedback to improve software deliverables and improve predictability and reliability of releases
- Highly organized, detail oriented, extremely responsive and able to prioritize a large number of tasks
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills are required, including the ability to communicate clearly and professionally, both verbally and in writing.
- Must be able to work independently and collaboratively with minimum supervision. Requires exceptional organizational skills, problem solving skills, and flexibility in changing priorities.
- Be a team player with the ability to share knowledge and develop colleagues for the overall benefit of the team and organization
- Familiar with tools and platforms as Confluence, Jira, GIT, Jenkins, Ansible.
- Experience coordinating external QA resources
Vision Leading the way we power the future.
Mission To provide affordable, reliable and environmentally sensitive energy services to our customers.
Values We have a PASSION to serve – We HONOR our community – We CARE about each other.
Org Marketing Statement
EOE: Protected Veteran/Disability
How To Apply
Apply online at www.oppd.com on or before November 23, 2018.
PLEASE NOTE - Your application has not been submitted unless you have applied for a specific requisition. If you have not chosen a specific opening, your application will remain in 'DRAFT' form and will not be viewed by our Human Resources staff.
Job ID: 295524
Location: Omaha, NE - Energy Plaza
Full/Part Time: Full-Time