Omaha Public Power District Alternative Energy Specialist in Omaha, Nebraska
OPPDs Energy Delivery team is looking to add an Alternative Energy Specialist in support of its mission of providing reliable, affordable, and environmentally sensitive energy services.
The Alternative Energy Specialist will be a subject matter expert on alternative and renewable energy sources for OPPD. This role will contribute to the Alternative Energy Program team with exploration, analysis, and application of emerging technologies, including renewable energy. This position will balance a technical understanding of the alternative energy landscape and emerging technologies with the ability to communicate conceptual solutions to project teams, management, and customers of both technical and non-technical backgrounds. Additionally, this role will lead the organization and coordination of renewable energy data from vendors, industry experts, and OPPD facility operations.
- Subject Matter Expertise: Understand the changing alternative energy landscape as it pertains to industry trends, emerging technologies, and the application of innovation solutions. Leverage OPPD’s current alternative energy assets and resources, as well as emerging technologies, to conceptualize new ideas and applications, to address the needs of the business and OPPD’s customers.
- Establish an ongoing process for monitoring, updating, and informing the business on emerging technology, industry trends, and associated costs
- Conduct economic analysis on the viability of emerging alternative energy solutions
- Develop and maintain a detailed understanding of the technical components of technology: battery storage, solar, wind, etc.
- Collaborate, support, and share information with OPPD functions, including but not limited to: Resource Planning, System Planning, Energy Marketing, Customer Service, Non-Traditional Sources (NTS) initiative, and other strategic initiatives or project teams.
Provide subject matter expertise and serve as a central point of contact for data and analysis pertaining to alternative energy information
Alternative Energy Data Organization: Collaborate with Manager Alternative Energy Program in the design of departmental policies, processes, systems and annualized plans that will effectively and efficiently deliver the objectives of the department.
- Create integrated process for collecting, updating, and monitoring OPPD alternative energy data
- Develop central repository and organization for alternative energy data in the company – this includes operational data from wind, solar, etc.
Maintain a library of ideas and opportunities for current and future consideration.
Project Input: Collaborate with Project Teams as a technical expert on the development, availability and application of alternative energy solutions.
- Participate in the conceptual scoping and/or design of alternative energy projects
- Advise project teams on considerations for the technical design of solutions (Inverter size, etc.)
Provide subject matter expertise for technology applications in projects Support Project Manager – Alternative Energy as needed
Effective Communication: Communicate technical ideas, opportunities, decisions, and learnings across functions and the various levels of OPPD to support the growth of alternative energy consideration, dialogue, and integration.
- Develop strong internal and external resources to support the communication and sharing of information and ideas with regard to alternative energy solutions for customer and company specific objectives.
- Build collaborative internal relationships to champion ideas, eliminate barriers, secure engagement and accelerate execution.
- Help project teams, OPPD functions, and customers understand conceptual application of alternative energy solutions
You can expect to dig into a rewarding career with one of the most reputable employers in the entire state of Nebraska. We care about our employee’s well-being; not only are we committed to providing a fair salary, but will also load you up with one of the most competitive benefits packages in the region. Last but not least, you’ll be coming to work for a company where our mission, vision, and values are more than just a piece of paper. Because of our unique position, we get to live them out every day and leave every night knowing the work we put in is worth doing.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, economics, science, or similar discipline
- Minimum 3 years’ experience working within or conducting research for alternative energy, renewables, emerging technology, energy efficiency, electric utility or the energy industry
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills and conceptual ability
- Experience gathering, analyzing, and interpreting quantitative and qualitative data
- Strong technical aptitude with the ability to create conceptual solutions
- Demonstrated experience in supporting the planning and design of solutions
- Excellent relationship, communication, and presentation skills
- Proven experience interacting with a variety of business functions of both technical and non-technical backgrounds
- Professional demeanor, capable and comfortable communicating with senior management, and customers
- Strong interest in alternative energy, distributed generation, and emerging technologies
- Innate willingness to learn new concepts quickly and take initiative
- Diverse knowledge of traditional, emerging and non-traditional alternative energy technologies
- Specific experience with wind, solar, battery, or other renewable technologies
- Working understanding of methodologies such as business model design, design thinking, systems-thinking or systems engineering, etc.
- Master’s degree in a related field
- Experience working for an electric utility
- Consulting experience driving change and innovation with senior leadership teams
- Experience with customer-facing projects
- Proven experience leading the conversion of innovative business ideas into tangible results
Vision Leading the way we power the future.
Mission To provide affordable, reliable and environmentally sensitive energy services to our customers.
Values We have a PASSION to serve – We HONOR our community – We CARE about each other.
Org Marketing Statement
EOE: Protected Veterans/Disability
How To Apply
Apply online at www.oppd.com on or before December 18, 2018.
PLEASE NOTE - Your application has not been submitted unless you have applied for a specific requisition. If you have not chosen a specific opening, your application will remain in 'DRAFT' form and will not be viewed by our Human Resources staff.
Job ID: 295584
Location: Omaha, NE - Energy Plaza
Full/Part Time: Full-Time