Pacific Gas & Electric Company Field Engineering Technician-ESC (Oakland) in Oakland, California
Requisition ID # 20681
Job Category : Maintenance / Construction / Operations
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Gas Operations
Job Location : Oakland
Based in San Francisco, Pacific Gas and Electric Company, a subsidiary of PG&E Corporation (NYSE:PCG), is one of the largest combined natural gas and electric utilities in the United States. And we deliver some of the nation's cleanest energy to our customers in Northern and Central California. For PG&E, Together, Building a Better California is not just a slogan. It's the very core of our mission and the scale by which we measure our success. We know that the nearly 16 million people who do business with our company count on our more than 24,000 employees for far more than the delivery of utility services. They, along with every citizen of the state we call home, also expect PG&E to help improve their quality of life, the economic vitality of their communities, and the prospect for a better future fueled by clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy.
Pacific Gas and Electric Company is an Affirmative Action and Equal Employment Opportunity employer that actively pursues and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability status, medical condition, protected veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the job.
Gas Operations is focused on ensuring the safe and reliable flow of natural gas to our customers. As a whole, Gas Operations is responsible for all aspects of PG&E's gas distribution and transmission operations, including planning, engineering, maintenance and construction, restoration and emergency response.
This job is represented by Engineers and Scientists of California (ESC) and is subject to collective bargaining.
The Field Engineering Technician is responsible for reviewing, approving, and monitoring the construction of gas facilities for both the transmission and distribution systems. The position involves job scheduling, ordering materials, cost analysis and project management. Work is predominantly outdoors and in all weather conditions. The individual must be able to drive safely, work extended hours; travel/transfer to new headquarter upon request at anytime, and wear company provided Personal Protective Equipment.
This position is a DOT (Department of Transportation) covered classification and is subject to random drug and/or alcohol screening. Travel is estimated to be about 50% of the time with some overnight stays.
• Use programs such as System Application Product (SAP), Outlook, Excel, Word, Construction Management Program and ZPAVE (initiation and tracking tool)
• Regularly performs cost estimating/cost controls, simple drafting, field measurements, and ordering/ receiving building/construction material
• Create field sketches and prepares layouts for new construction or reconstruction of gas systems. Uses hand drafting to record locations, dimensions, identified problems, proposed layouts, construction plans, and time frames
• Locate and mark underground facilities, layout of foundation and excavation sites
• Communicate with supervisors, customers, public officials, other agencies/departments and contractors regarding the right-of-way acquisition, licenses, and permit process
• Drives Company vehicle to designated sites to evaluate issues of access and existing facilities
• Performs field observations and measurements to determine location of existing facilities. Inspects existing gas facilities to determine improvement needs per PG&E Gas Standards and trench layouts. Monitor construction work against construction standards and regulatory guidelines. Perform testing of gas systems. Operates forklift to load and unload material. Manually loads and unloads tools, materials and testing equipment.
• Under the supervision of an employee in a higher classification, may assist in planning, scheduling and cost-control activities, such as operation and maintenance of scheduling, cost-control and reporting systems, performs schedule and cost data indexing and coding activities, verifies schedule and cost-input information. Assist Senior Field Engineering Technicians and Field Engineers; preparing construction notes; inspection and performance of other related
• Must be at least 18 years of age
• Must possess a High School diploma, GED, or equivalent work experience
• Must have a valid California Driver's License
• Ability to work in all types of weather extremes
• Ability to drive safely in all weather and road conditions
• Ability to work extended hours, nights, weekends and holidays
• Ability to travel and transfer to a new headquarter upon request at anytime; throughout the entire PG&E service territory with no guarantees as to how long you will be away from home.
• Internal PG&E employees: Must have qualified on the Physical Test Battery (PTB) exam prior to applying for the position
• External and Hiring Hall candidates: Must qualify on the Physical Test Battery (PTB) exam prior to interviewing
• Must be able to wear company provided Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
• Must be able to lift up to 75 pounds a minimum of one time a day
• Underground construction experience
• Excavating experience
• Underground plumbing experience
• Experience creating Contract work authorization in Aribia
• 1 year of previous general construction gas experience
• Ability to demonstrate basic to intermediate Microsoft Project, Excel, Word, and Office skills
• Basic drafting knowledge
• Ability to demonstrate strong math and computer skills, strong written and verbal communication and an attention to detail