National Grid Senior Cybersecurity Engineer, Subject Matter Expert SME in Northboro, Massachusetts
National Grid is hiring for a Senior Cybersecurity Engineer SME for our security operations team in Northborough, MA
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
Our vision is to be recognized as a world leading Security function in the energy sector and a trusted partner across National Grid businesses. As a National Grid Network Security Engineer for Network-Security, you will be a key member of the Network Security Engineering service tower. You will need to have a strong understanding of security solutioning and design processes needed to enable and securely deliver resilient cyber security services. You will work collaboratively with the Product and Architecture teams to ensure solutions and services are designed and adopted effectively. The cyber security engineer is responsible for, but not limited to, performing maintenance and support functions associated with network security systems.
You will be closely working with other members of the network security team and Group IT teams to ensure continued success operation of the National Grid digital data network. You will be able to make an impact to a more reliable and stable web gateway with better monitoring and automation. With a multi-national network footprint, this role is ideal for those seeking a challenge in a growing business, providing critical infrastructural services to user communities and being part of its success.
This is a new role with a new team who have recently transformed to new ways of working. We are looking for an experienced Network Security engineer with good cyber security knowledge and high impact leadership skills. This is a great opportunity to help build a high performing team in a critical infrastructure industry.
• Work with the business, Product teams and users to define needs, identify problems, evaluating potential solutions, demonstrating and implementing improvements
• Performs analysis of Network security needs, responsible for design, install, configuration and maintenance of network security systems and applications.
• Fault handling and escalation (identifying and responding to faults, liaising with 3rd party suppliers, handling escalation through to resolution).
• Build, manage, secure, maintain, troubleshoot and administer Firewalls, Web- gateways, proxy
• Create scripts with purpose of automating tasks and share knowledge as relevant
• Strong focus on innovations and respond quickly and confidently to change
• Act as an escalation point of contact for the other teams to resolve complex issues
• Collaborate with other Security teams on finding the right solutions to existing problems;
• Challenge ideas and methods while working together with talented, highly skilled team members;
• Assist the Engineering team to improve the skills of junior team members and provide technical guidance;
• Maintain and develop knowledge of technology trends.
• Maintenance of technical documentation of processes and procedures used throughout normal operations.
• Management of system performance, capacity, service quality.
• Lead initiatives for the optimization and restructuring of Network security architecture.
Other Technical Knowledge experience
• Strong track record of understanding customer needs, creating innovative outcomes to problems and leading engineering teams to deliver successful products
• Adept at working with users and groups at all levels to obtain requirements
• A critical thinker with an analytical mind-set and adept at evaluating opportunities to reach goals
• An agile mind-set with experience using agile frameworks
• Knowledge/experience of Jira, Confluence, familiar with Next Generation firewall features
• Knowledge on Risk Management, risk mitigation and reduction techniques.
Supervisory/Interpersonal- Experience Required
• To translate the future vision and strategy to commercial by anticipating market needs and customer-driven by understanding and addressing customer needs
• To able to influence key stakeholders and connect with different part of the business
• To motive and inspire other- be a role model with an open-mind, seeking to hear and respect diversity of thought while empowering and trusting your make to make the right decisions
• To keep improving the services and have an end-to-end customer focus approach
• To spend time managing your team rather than directly delivering your own results
• To build a strong relationship with security team, understanding their strengths, aspirations and motivations, adapting your leadership style as the team develops
• To coach, connect and engage with your team – supporting them to solve their own problems
• To take responsibility for your team’s performance, setting clear objectives and targets for the year, monitoring performance and holding your team to account – celebrating success and driving for improvement
• To provide regular and ongoing feedback to each team member to aid team performance, and be open to feedback yourself
• To embed a safety mind-set within your team and create an open, two-way environment for communication and ideas sharing
• To build a broader network with other leaders across the organization
• To actively develop yourself as a leader and be a role model to your team of the type of behaviours you expect
• To drive action and change to improve the customer experience
• To identify and implement commercial solutions to deliver value
• To ensure your team adheres to National Grid data management principles
• Bachelor’s degree -OR- 12+ years’ experience in enterprise security support and large-scale network security operations.
• Certifications in relevant fields
• Self-motivated, Strong analytical skills and able to collate and interpret data from various sources.
• Ability to assess and prioritize faults and respond or escalate accordingly.
• Demonstrated ability to analyse complex situations and utilize troubleshooting skills, systems and tools, and creative problem-solving abilities under pressure.
• Excellent written and verbal communication.
• Ability to effectively communicate technical problems and solutions to technical and non-technical individuals.
• Participation in a 24x7 on call rotation
• Working Knowledge of Windows Server, Active Directory, Azure AD
• Ability to create and maintain documentation, standards, operating procedures and protocols
• Ability to coordinate with vendors and other IT personnel for problem resolution
• Experience in deploying and managing Next gen firewalls
• Experience of working with Mobile client-side operating systems
• Understanding of access and authentication protocols, including Kerberos, SAML, and OAuth
• Prior work experience as a Systems or Network Administrator
• Experience with configuring SIEM/SOAR integration
• Experience in Secure DNS Management
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.