Dominion Energy Electric Distribution Designer (Entry-Level) - Eastern Virginia in NORFOLK, Virginia
Electric Distribution Designer (Entry-Level) - Eastern Virginia
Date:Jun 17, 2021
Location: NORFOLK, VA, US, 23509
Company: Dominion Energy
At Dominion Energy we love our jobs. That’s right. Love. Every day we go to work filled with passion to be excellent, to creatively problem solve and to innovate. These are exciting days for energy companies, and Dominion Energy aims to shape the future of energy in America. We are looking at all of our work with fresh eyes, retooling everything we do, in every part of the company, to operate more sustainably and to deliver energy more reliably than ever. We are looking for interesting, independent thinkers and doers who can help shape the culture of a forward-looking company that’s proud of its rich legacy. Are you a change agent? Do you think differently? Do you want to fall in love with your job? If you answered “yes,” then read on!
At this time, Dominion Energy cannot transfer nor sponsor a work visa for this position.
This position does not offer relocation assistance.
Note: This requisition will remain open for an unidentified period of time; it will be monitored and candidates reviewed on an on-going basis. Interviews will be conducted for specific location(s) as needed. This requisition is for multiple office locations in the eastern Virginia area (Chesapeake, Chuckatuck, Hampton/Peninsula, Norfolk, Williamsburg, Virginia Beach). Please select all office location(s) for which you would like to be considered.
The Projects Designer position is the first level in the Electric Distribution Design job classification. This role will serve as a point of contact for internal and external customers for installation of electric distribution facilities. Projects Designer shall use technical knowledge, face-to-face customer interactions and customer service skills to safely and efficiently perform design of electric distribution facilities for variety of residential, commercial, and internal customers. This work additionally includes project site visits, inspections and preparation of detailed drawings using ArcFM, AutoCad or other tools as required.
Through the use of project management skills, the designer shall determine material needs, time and cost estimates, technical designs, and easement negotiations.
• Develop work requests related to overhead and underground facilities associated with electric distribution system. Prepare field notes and design. Perform customer contacts.
• Prepares underground agreements, billing authorities, revenue calculations, etc.
• Utilizes work management system to prepare cost estimates based on design of new construction or modification of existing facilities.
• Reconciles construction as-builts to ensure mapping accuracy in GIS.
• Provide “on-call” assistance (scouting, patrolling, etc.) during emergencies and storm restoration activities; includes travel to any location within Dominion Energy service territory for duration determined by Company.
• Analyzes electrical load data and performs calculations to determine size and location of electric distribution facilities based on engineering standards, existing or proposed easements, Right-of-Way permits and operational needs and requirements.
• Coordinates installation/relocation of other utilities (i.e. cable television, phone, etc).
• Identify safety issues-Check equipment and work area regularly to ensure safety and compliance; identifies hazards and improvements that could prevent safety problems;
This position includes participation in electric distribution designer training program. This development program is a two-year commitment. Incumbents must successfully complete the program before promoting to the next level. While participating in the two-year development program, based on performance, the incumbent is eligible for a progressive pay increase at their one-year anniversary (lump sum or up to 5% increase).
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Experience
Education / experience:
• Minimum: Bachelor’s degree and 0+ years related experience or equivalent education and related experience (Associates degree with 2+ years or High School with 4+ years); or equivalent military experience (Military Service Members/Veterans ranks from E3-E5, W1-W2, or O1-O3 with 2+ years)
• Preferred: Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Construction Management, or Engineering Technology (or related discipline) and 1-2+ years of related experience or equivalent education and related experience (Associates degree with 3+ years or High School with 5+ years)
• Minimum: Customer Service, Construction Management, Drafting, Utility Experience, Project Management, Technical Design, General Electricity / Electrical
• Preferred: in addition to minimum, Retail, Field Operations background, GIS/AutoCAD
• Minimum: verbal, written and interpersonal communication; strong computer skills; time management and organization; project management; math and technical aptitude
• Minimum: effectively interact with customers; teaming; detail oriented; Physical attributes to perform essential function: walking, climbing, stooping, bending and prolonged standing
• Must have valid driver's license and be able to drive
Degree or an equivalent combination of Associates or high school with appropriate years’ of demonstrated related experience may be accepted in lieu of preferred level of education. Preferred disciplines: Business, Engineering Technology, Construction Management.
Note: This position will be filled as posted - "Customer Projects Designer I” (internal title) regardless of degree (e.g. engineering degreed candidates will not automatically be placed into or later converted to an Engineer title)
Licenses, Certifications, or Quals Description
• Notary Public (have or have ability to obtain)
• Must complete Project Designer Development Program
• Valid state driver's license
Office Work Environment 26-50%
Other Working Conditions
No Testing Required
Certain positions at Dominion Energy may involve access to information and technology subject to export controls under U.S. law. Compliance with these export controls may result in Dominion Energy limiting its consideration of certain applicants.
We offer excellent plans and programs for employees. Employees are rewarded with a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package which may include: health benefits with coverage for families and domestic partners, vacation, retirement plans, paid holidays, tuition reimbursement, and much more. To learn more about our benefits, click here
Dominion Energy is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a diverse workforce. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran or disabled status.
You can experience the excitement of our company – it's the difference between taking a job and starting a career.
Nearest Major Market:Hampton Roads Job Segment: Distribution, Engineer, Electrical, Geology, Entry Level, Operations, Engineering
Check out other featured jobs:
- Dominion Energy Jobs