PSEG 5105 Principal Engineer - Technical in Newark, New Jersey
Requisition ID: 48101
Job Function/Category: 55600
Employment Type: Exempt Full Time
This is an exciting time to be joining PSEG. Our commitments, which include safety, integrity, customer focus, and diversity & inclusion, are the fabric of our culture and help drive the success of our business. We are fortunate to have an outstanding workforce of diverse and highly skilled talent who move us forward in our operational excellence journey. PSEG has more than 12,000 employees who are dedicated to the communities we serve and embody our vision: People providing Safe, Reliable, Economic and Greener Energy
This position resides in the Utility Technologies Department of the Asset Management & Centralized Services Organization.
Job Description: The successful candidate will be a member of the System Reliability team responsible for the technical support and operations required for all communications systems in the Electric System Operations Center (ESOC). This includes assets of the Transmission Fiber Infrastructure project (to be completed by EOY 2018) and all ancillary network systems. There may also be significant interaction with existing support operations for the both the current production EMS as well as the new EMS replacement project that is currently in progress (In service target Feb 2020).
As an employee of PSE&G, you should be aware that during storm/outage restoration efforts, you may be required to perform functions different from normal operations and your regular work schedule. You may also be required to work in an alternate location.
Major duties and responsibilities (include and are not limited to):
• Work with System Reliability team members, Information Technology, Burns & MacDonald (primary contractor) and other PSE&G construction and technical support groups to manage and maintain the Transmission Fiber Infrastructure (TFI)
• Consult at a high level by providing design, analysis, and maintenance of advanced fiber communications equipment and applications. Work with provider support teams to troubleshoot and correct issues within acceptable timeframes (Alcatel Lucent, CISCO, iNOC, DP&C, etc.)
• Provide leadership, coordination, and supervision of all field construction and installation activities related to the TFI
• Consult at a high level by providing design, analysis, and maintenance of advanced network communications used by the distributed computer systems in ESOC. Work with provider support teams to troubleshoot and correct issues within acceptable timeframes
• Work with System Reliability team members and the GE vendor team to successfully execute the EMS Replacement project plan, on time and within budget
• Provide training and knowledge transfer opportunities to other team members to ensure adequacy and depth of engineering support for reliable 24x7 operations
• Participate in site setup, user training, hardware/software installation, maintenance and support, and documentation of hardware/software logs and operating procedures
• Maintain and apply working knowledge of PSEG Standards for Business Controls and NERC CIP requirements (North American Electric Reliability Corporation Critical Infrastructure Protection)
• Extensive experience with network protocols including DHCP, SNMP, TCP/IP, DNP 3 and other SCADA protocols
• Demonstrated experience with fiber communications
• Working knowledge of computing environments and tools such as the Linux operating environment, Linux shells, and standard utilities
• Demonstrated experience with Transmission/Distribution systems, substation automation, SCADA systems or similar industry exposure
• Must possess and maintain a valid NJ driver’s license
• On call 24/7 hours to assist during system emergency situations
• Exhibit high personal standards of commitment and integrity
• Demonstrated ability to work under stressful situations and continually meet deadlines
• Must foster an inclusive work environment and respects all aspects of diversity
• Must be an active participant and contributor to improvements in standards and business processes
• Must demonstrate and value differences in others' strengths, perspectives, approaches, and personal choices
MS degree in Engineering, Computer Sciences, or Telecommunications
• Advanced network certifications
• Project Management certification
• Prior experience with any vendor's EMS
As an employee of PSE&G or PSEG Long Island, you should be aware that during storm restoration efforts, you may be required to perform functions outside of your routine duties and on a schedule that may be different from normal operations.
This site ( http://www.pseg.com ) is strictly for candidates who are not currently PSEG employees. PSEG employees must apply for jobs internally through empower which can be accessed through the mypseg homepage by clicking on the employee center tab, then under the empower header, choose careers.
Business needs may cause PSEG to cancel or delay filling position at any time during the selection process
Public Service Enterprise Group (PSEG) is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment, including the hiring process, based on any legal protected characteristic. Legally protected characteristics included, race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law in locations where PSEG employs individuals.
Need to request an accommodation?
If you have a disability and need assistance submitting your resume, applying for a position or registering for a test, please call 973-430-3845. Any information provided regarding a disability will be kept strictly confidential and will not be shared with anyone involved hiring decision
Diversity at PSEG: Equal Opportunity Employer
PSEG is an equal employment opportunity employer and makes employment decisions, including but not limited to, hiring, firing, promotion, demotion, training, and/or compensation, on the basis of merit. Employment decisions are based on an individual’s qualifications as they relate to the job under consideration. PSEG's policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on sex (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions, the actual sex of the individual, or the gender identity or gender expression), race, color, religion, including religious dress practices and religious grooming practices, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, familial status, age, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, protected veteran or military status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws, ordinances, or regulations.
Need to request an accommodation?
If you have a disability and need assistance submitting your resume, applying for a position or registering for a test, please call 973-430-3845. Any information provided regarding a disability will be kept strictly confidential and will not be shared with anyone involved in making a hiring decision.
PSEG is committed to complying with all applicable laws providing equal employment opportunities. This commitment applies to all persons involved in the operations of the Company and prohibits unlawful discrimination by any employee of the Company, including supervisors and co-workers.