Eversource Energy Manager, Grid Modernization Technology in Manchester, New Hampshire
Check out this video and find out why our team loves to work here! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHmr45H8xZE)Role and Scope of Position:
Responsible for leading design and execution of the Company’s strategic implementation plans related to modernization of the Company’s electric distribution system across the three-state service territory with a focus on bringing new technology and process to support real-time system operations and dispatch centers. Focus areas include, but are not limited to, implementation of Distribution Management System (DMS) and Distributed Energy Resource Management System (DERMS). Responsible for ensuring that projects are implemented in a way that is consistent with the Company’s vision of a modern grid that supports safe, reliable, resilient system operations while integrating solar, energy storage and other distributed energy resources as grid assets supporting the distribution and transmission systems. Lead multi-disciplinary teams made up of subject matter experts from System Operations, IT, Engineering and Grid Modernization. Guide project execution, including technology review and selection; defining project budget, scope and timeline; project management; internal and external reporting and tracking; and stakeholder engagement. Lead efforts to research and develop plans for additional modernization opportunities including investigation and assessment of new tools and technologies relevant to the modernization of the electric distribution system and engagement with external counterparts, vendors, and other stakeholders to ensure the Company is leveraging and contributing to industry best practices. Manage engineers in the Grid Modernization group in support of team goals and objectives.
- Establishes a strong project management discipline and ensures adherence to scope, schedule and budget while pro-actively mitigating potential risks, encouraging collaborative and creative problem solving and extensively communicating with all internal and external stakeholders.
- Works collaboratively to manage multi-disciplinary teams including system operations, IT, distribution engineering, system planning and grid modernization to achieve multiple objectives.
- Draws upon internal and external subject matter experts in grid modernization technologies such as distribution automation, distributed generation interconnection, system load flow, energy storage, microgrids, and Volt VAR optimization.
- Guide direct reports when challenging situations are encountered and help them to be successful.
- Builds and maintains strong relationships and communications within the leadership team to share ideas, spearhead inter-disciplinary projects and coordinate common work efforts.
- Participates in regulatory proceedings and external stakeholder forums to educate and advocate for the benefits of grid modernization programs.
- Works as a member of the Grid Modernization leadership team to ensure the Company’s grid modernization strategic priorities are responsive to industry developments and continue to maximize value over time, capturing new opportunities as they emerge.
- Thorough understanding of electrical engineering concepts such as load flow, stability voltage regulation, power factor, losses etc.
- Demonstrate thorough understanding of the tools, processes and skill sets required to support system operations, including but not limited to, outage management, DSCADA and switch order management.
- Demonstrate creative and rigorous thought leadership to identify and design opportunities to deploy technologies to advance the goals of distribution system modernization.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including support for executive level reviews and approvals.
- Foster a productive, engaging and inclusive work environment in which open communication is encouraged and obstacles to open communication are addressed quickly.
- Promote and encourage a positive, cooperative and efficient work atmosphere.
- Demonstrate the ability to work collaboratively to achieve multiple objectives.
- Must be a thought leader in guiding development and prioritization of projects, coordinating with internal and external stakeholders
- Demonstrated success in project management
- Strong analytical skills including experience using qualitative tools in strategic development; business development aptitude with strong presentation skills
- Familiarity with grid modernization technologies
- Strong leadership skills to penetrate and work effectively throughout the organization
- Must be customer driven; displays initiative as a change agent with a can-do attitude; accepts responsibility and holds others accountable
- Participates in and facilitates team effectiveness; assumes the role of team leader
- Ability to make sound decisions to support strategic objectives
- Requires a Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering or bachelor’s degree in Engineering Technology
- MS in Engineering or MBA preferred
- Minimum of ten (10) years of experience in the technical, operational, or engineering aspects of the electrical utility industry required which includes managerial, supervisory and/or team leadership experience
Licenses & Certifications:
- Must be available to work emergency restoration assignment as required.
- Must be available to travel between MA/CT/NH as necessary.
- Travel throughout the service territory is frequently required.
- Work is performed primarily in an office environment which requires standing, sitting, walking, climbing stairs, and writing and typing
Mental Aspects :
- Demonstrated ability to solve complex problems and remain self-directed is required.
- Work includes technical writing, editing, planning, evaluating, interpreting, organizing, consulting, analyzing, documenting, specifying, coordinating, implementing and presenting.
- This role works in an environment that often requires the performance of multiple simultaneous activities, where deadlines need to be met and work is performed under pressure while involving significant business commitments and results
Set and Communicate Direction and Priorities
- Cascade and translate strategies into action plans.
- Communicate goals and priorities (company, department, team); ensure line of sight
- Drive accountability/monitor progress
- Communicate, communicate, communicate
Build Trusting Relationships
- Role model honesty and integrity in all communication and actions
- Balance “getting results” with concern for individual needs
- Have honest dialogue with employees; get to know them
- Track commitments and follow-up
Manage and Develop People
- Create individual development plans with direct reports
- Set realistic performance objectives
- Give ongoing, honest feedback; coach for success
- Differentiate performance and provide rewards and recognition
Foster Teamwork and Cross-functional Collaboration
- Surface and address competing goals
- Encourage cooperation/remove obstacles between functions
- Conduct teambuilding/development processes
- Encourage collaboration
- Guide team in translating organizational goals into day-to-day work
Create a Diverse, Inclusive Workforce
- Involve employees/seek input in decision making, on continuous improvement ideas and change
- Diversify staff, where possible, in hiring/promotions
- Seek opportunities to utilize diverse suppliers
- Exhibit a “can-do” attitude to successfully develop and implement changes in strategy, priorities and work processes
- Respond positively to new demands or circumstances
- Act optimistically to influence others to embrace change
Focus on the Customer
- Ensure that we have processes in place to deliver on our customer promise and provide superior customer service
- Be a role model for the business on delivering superior customer service
Approved By: _________________________Date:_August 2020______________________________
Number of Openings:
Eversource Energy is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, disability status, or protected veteran status.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor
- Eversource Energy Jobs