EnergyUnited Mechanic I in Lexington, United States
Lexington, NC (Ops)
North Carolina’s largest electric cooperative, EnergyUnited, delivers reliable energy and services that improve the quality of life for our customers and communities. We invite you to join our team if you possess the qualities on which we’ve based our success for over 60 years – Safety, Integrity, Commitment and Excellence .
EnergyUnited offers a comprehensive benefit package. EnergyUnited is an Equal Opportunity – Affirmative Action Employer
The Mechanic is responsible for the inspection, maintenance, diagnostic and repairs on cars, trucks, trailers and off-road equipment. This position performs maintenance and repairs to equipment per the manufacturers guidelines to ensure safety and reliability to the equipment.
Key Accountabilities & Duties
• Provides the specialized technical skills for the effective performance of the activities of the assigned position within policies and procedures. Changes engine oil, lubrication, oil filters, fuel filters, air filters, batteries, brake repairs, light issues, tire maintenance, fan belts, radiator hoses, exhaust issues, etc.
• Assists in making recommendations for changes or additional programs needed to improve the Cooperative’s fleet operations.
• Responsible for maintaining the preventive maintenance programs regarding vehicle maintenance and repairs.
• Coordinates and provides assistance to other staff in performing assigned responsibilities.
• Observes all work rules, safety rules, regulations, policies and procedures adopted by the Cooperative.
• Encourages a high degree of understanding and appreciation of the cooperative way of doing business among employees, members, and the general public.
• Promotes an effective member and public relations program through community participation and involvement.
• To provide the necessary skills to maintain and repair cars, trucks, trailers and off road equipment in a safe, efficient, quality minded and customer focused manner.
• Perform final operational test on all vehicles and equipment to quality check all repairs.
• Provides the necessary information and monthly reports for tracking operational and maintenance cost.
• Performs work as required with specialized equipment such as A/C Refrigerant – Recovery-Reclaim Units, grinders, torches, scan tools, etc. Operates various hand and power-driven shop tools.
• Provides and coordinates emergency services for the Cooperative vehicles and equipment as required.
• Maintains the service garages and assigned areas in a neat, clean and safe manner free of hazards to all employees and the general public.
• Accountable to the Manager of Maintenance Services for achieving agreed upon results in each area of the position.
• Performs other duties as assigned by the Manager of Maintenance Services.
Direct reports: May provide work direction to others as assigned by the Manager of Maintenance Services.
Internal Relationships: Shall maintain internal relationships necessary to achieve purpose of position and desired results.
External Contacts: Shall maintain necessary job-related external contacts to assure satisfactory results.
Authority: Has full authority to carry out the above responsibilities as delegated by The Manager of Maintenance Services.
Skills & Requirements
EDUCATION – Must be a high school graduate or equivalent and a technical vocational or trade school diploma or degree in automotive truck and/or heavy equipment service repair and maintenance is highly desirable. (AES Certification Desired) Medium Duty Trucks.
EXPERIENCE – Must have at least 3 years’ experience as HD Truck mechanic.
KNOWLEDGE – Should possess knowledge of all phases of service and maintenance to perform required repairs on various types of equipment. Proficient with Microsoft Office Application.
ATTITUDE – Must have a positive, open mind and considerate attitude toward the responsibilities of the position. Must be a self-starter. Must have an attitude of neatness, timeliness, orderliness and accuracy toward the job. Must possess a very conscientious attitude toward record keeping.
PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS – Must be of high moral integrity, pleasing personality and possess good personal habits. Must be able to retain information of a confidential nature. Must be able to project a good public image. Must be able to function cooperatively with peers as a team member to meet departmental and system objectives.
ABILITIES AND SKILLS – Must have ability to implement work plans, make sound decisions from observations and carry out instructions. Applicant must have the ability to perform basic mathematics and possess basic computer skills. Must be able to work under pressure and meet deadlines; as well as, work in harmony with many different personality types. Must be able to work with very little supervision and be proactive in responsibilities. Must possess a strong ability to communicate in both verbal and written form.
WORKING CONDITIONS – Shift work, 40-hour work week/10 hours per day. Work in a shop environment and frequently works outdoors. Exposure to noise, dust, grease, smoke, and odors. Some irregular working hours may be required. Must be available for work during adverse weather conditions. Will be required to work in other Regions as needed.
INTERNAL JOB CATEGORY – This position is categorized as Job Site Reporting , which is a work arrangement that allows an employee to report to their assigned job site to perform work and duties associated with their position.
RESIDENCY REQUIREMENTS - This position is a Direct Operational Position. All employees assigned to an operational position in headquarters or in a district or regional office must make their domicile not more than a twenty (20) mile radius from their respective office.
WORK REQUIREMENTS – Must possess and maintain a valid N.C. class A CDL with air brake endorsement. Must possess a complete set of standard tools, metric tools and air impact tools in accordance with the fleet department tool list. Must be able to lift and carry a minimum of 50 lbs. as well as prolonged standing. All employees who are subject to “on-call” duty must live within twenty (20) miles radius from their respective assigned district, regional or headquarters office, with the exception of those “on-call” employees who have been approved with remote capabilities must make their domicile within one of the nineteen counties served by the Cooperative.
SAFETY - Performs all assignments safely assuring compliance with all Safety related rules, regulations and policies.
EXEMPT STATUS – This position is non-exempt as defined by the Fair Labor Standards Act as amended.
NON-DISCRIMINATION – EnergyUnited Electric Membership Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. This position shall be filled on the basis of qualification and ability to perform the essential functions of the job and without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law.