Lakeland Electric Water Meter Repairer I in Lakeland, Florida
This is entry level semi skilled mechanical work in repair¬ing, testing and installing water meters. Works includes a variety of semi skilled tasks in the shop and field learning how to clean, repair, maintain and test water meters. Meter repair work is performed under immediate supervision of a foreman. Work is reviewed through efficient operation of meters, inspections and consultations. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBLITIES:
- Prepares water meters for rebuilding; washes mud and grease from exterior; disassembles all major and minor parts.
- Assists in performing maintenance mechanic functions in areas of fabrication, small motor and engine repair and sprinkler systems.
- Rebuilds registers and gear trains; paints meters; stamps numbers on meters; learns the different procedures in completely rebuilding and maintaining water meters in the field and shop.
- Perform helper duties for night time call out.
- Performs all other associated duties regarding the installation, maintenance of water lines/attributes and other associated services provided by the City.
- Must work overtime, or alternate hours, as necessary for the efficient operation ot the department.
Position is designated as Mission Critical by Department Director. ADDITIONAL FUNCTIONS:
Performs related work as required. QUALIFICATIONS (EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE):
High School Diploma from an accredited school or its equivalent. SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
Must maintain a valid telephone number.
Must possess a valid state of Florida driver's license.
Must be able to obtain Class "A" CDL within six (6) months of employment.
- Must be able to obtain a Class "C" Water Distribution License within eighteen (18) months of employment.
- Required to pass and maintain qualification for:
- Respiratory Protection Physical.
- Pulmonary Function.
Qualitative and Quantitative Fit Test(s). KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
Some knowledge of the practices, methods, tools and equip¬ment used in the maintenance, repair and testing of water meters.
- Skill in the use and care of tools and equipment appropriate to the work.
- Ability to learn the design, principles and specific mech¬anisms of various types of water meters.
- Ability to diagnose defects in water metering equipment and to determine proper corrective measures.
- Ability to prepare reports and daily paper work.
- Ability to communicate to Water Distribution employees, internal and external customers via telephone, radio and other means of communications.
Ability of being a self starter, self motivated and detailed oriented. WORKING ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Requires sedentary work that involves walking or standing some of the time, exerting up to 10 pounds of force on a recurring basis, routine keyboard operations.
- Occupation does require repetitive motion such as movement of the wrist, hands, legs and/or fingers.
- The job risks exposure to bright/dim light, dusts, pollen, extreme heat/cold, wet or humid conditions, fumes or noxious odors, electrical shock, toxic/caustic chemicals, asbestos containing material and traffic.
- The job requires normal visual acuity, field of vision, hearing, speaking, color perception, sense of smell, depth perception, and texture perception.
All City of Lakeland positions are subject to testing (e.g. written, oral, performance, computerized, interview, and/or any combination). Candidates selected for testing will be notified via email or telephone. Please check your e-mail and telephone messages regularly, including "junk" folders. Test times and locations to be announced. The City of Lakeland is a drug free workplace. This position is considered a mandatory testing position, which is subject to pre-employment and random drug testing. All City of Lakeland positions are subject to reasonable suspicion drug testing. As a condition of employment, you will be required to pass the pre-employment drug test in accordance with Florida Statute 440.102.
THE CITY OF LAKELAND IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/EQUAL ACCESS EMPLOYER AND A DRUG FREE WORKPLACE
Job Title: Water Meter Repairer I
Closing Date/Time: Tue. 12/10/19 4:00 PM Eastern Time
Salary: $18.55 - $23.67 Hourly $1,484.00 - $1,893.60 Biweekly $3,215.33 - $4,102.80 Monthly $38,584.00 - $49,233.60 Annually
Job Type: Full Time Regular UWUA
Location: City of Lakeland, Employment Services, 500 N. Lake Parker Avenue, Lakeland, Florida
Department: Water Utilities 15